Character Generators for scoreboard graphics

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

djhammer

Character Generators for scoreboard graphics

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Is there a product similar to NewTek’s LiveText character generator software that works with ATEM's ?
ScoreKeepr is close but it does not seem like it will scale the graphics for 1080iHD and CasparCG seems to have a steep learning curve.

mbrown92

Re: Character Generators for scoreboard graphics

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 3:15 am

Bring Scorekeeper in on an upstream key and use the DVE to increase it's size and fly it where you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas Seewald

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 3:56 pm

CG has really a Steel learning Curve. But it is Free Software with a very active Community, so you geht a Lot of Inspiration. There are a Lot of scoreboard solutions available. For what Kind of Sports you Need the scoreboard ?
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

djhammer

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 12:57 am

Thanks for the information and I will give that a try. We want to use this for the local HS football, basketball, wrestling, volleyball and baseball sports. They do not have a budget for a 10k machine and I have provided a lot of equipment already and I can't squeeze much more out for them.

Thomas Seewald

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 8:56 am

HS Means Highschool ? The Most difficulty using CG ist creating the templates for the Score Lars. This Must be done With Adobe Flash. There is also another Solution. For Most Sport there are some Clients available that you can use like a Scoreboard Keyboard at Stadium.

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 5:47 pm

For more Informations read threads with the keyword "scoreboard". Maybe the following link gives you some ideas for a "quick and dirty" solution.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6212

Please give us some feedback, how you have realized your scoreboard !
Last edited by Thomas Seewald on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Someday i'll make a easy scoreboard for CasparCG with a prepared install.
But that day is not today.

It's "kinda" easy, watch the screencasts.

djhammer

PostThu Aug 15, 2013 4:05 am

The plan for now is to invest in ScoreKeepr and work on CasperCG as suggested by Jonas. ScoreKeepr is nice but not being able to customize graphics and a few other items not to mention addon costs makes it less than optimum.

pqa1981

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 3:46 am

Here is Volleyball production use Live Sports Graphic Application!
youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=webVOOUNGKQ

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 11:27 pm

+1 for CasparCG. It isn't that hard and worth the learning. We use it all the time for some pretty advanced graphics (some are even data driven by a rockets flight computer!) Worth the time investment and the cost is, well, nothing!
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

Thomas Seewald

PostSat Oct 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Oh, the video ist blocked in germany, because of missing rights for the music...

But I think, it ist the same scoreboard, as in other videos from youtube-user "Nikosi".

Such scoreboard can be realized very simple with CasparCG. It's only a question of the wanted comfort and usability. When no special usability is needed, you create a template using flash. Inside the template, there are variables for teamnames and score.

The template will be shown by CasparCG and the variables can be set by CasparCG.

When you want more comfort, you write a small program, which controls CasparCG and sets the variables. There you can use count-up and count-down buttons for modyfing the score or write some functions for displaying additional lower thirds, maybe for the player presentation before the match starts or when someone has made a big point.

CasparCG is free software, so your investment is only buying a hardware (which is necessary in every case of scoring software) and spend time for learning, creating the flash templates (flash necessary) and maybe programming. There are a lot of examples on CasparCG forum and the community is very cooperative.

A create my own client for sports. The only reason I have not finished, is that I want to realize all the details of the sport and flexible configuration options in my client.

The basic functionality is ready and I realized it very quickly (using existing templates from the community). So try CasparCG.

Quinn Quality

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 3:21 pm

There is still a major problem. CasparCG is windows software. What about score graphics in Mac?
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 5:14 pm

The server part is Windows. The client can be Mac or Linux. Just grab a cheap Windows PC with a Decklink card for the server, then run it from the Macintosh client.
Benjamin Higginbotham

Quinn Quality

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Don't own a PC.
Don't know Windows
Don't like going back to school.
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Can't help ya then. Sorry.
Benjamin Higginbotham

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Quinn : Caspar is the best and its free .. just pay to some technician for select any great Windows PC for U , and install CasparCG there .. thats all .. U do not need to know nothing about windows ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Scott Ryan

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 10:02 pm

For character generation and media playback I use ProPresenter. It isn't free, but you can get a 2 week fully functional trial without watermark. It doesn't have anything specifically made for scoreboards though. You could make a fancy graphic in Photoshop, then load it into PP and throw text on top of it then manually update it. Actually did this with a leaderboard graphic. It's a bit tedious and not the most efficient way to do things, but it works. You can think of PP like PowerPoint or Keynote except you can edit stuff on 1 screen, then hit 'show' and it updates your output screen.

Martin-Z

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 5:22 am

Quinn Quality wrote:There is still a major problem. CasparCG is windows software. What about score graphics in Mac?

Try BoinxTV.

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 2:00 pm

CasparCG is only a generator.

You can write the client in whatever language you want and run it on whatever platform you want.

Quinn Quality

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 5:11 pm

I looked at BoinxTv ant think it might be a winner for me. Sorry CasparCG lovers.
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Someone likes Porsche, someone Ferrari - someone BMW, someone Mercedes Benz....

I love Caspars programming interface, so you can remote control Caspar and tranfer data using your own special software. For a scoreboard solution perfect.

Quinn Quality

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Thomas Seewald, you hit the nail on the head.
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Martin-Z

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 7:33 am

Well, BoinxTV is based on Apple's Quartz Composer, which is also a very powerful visual programming interface and - probably as with CasparCG - requires you to dig deep to reveal all its capabilities.
The difference - apart from one being Mac and the other PC based - is that QC has been mostly present in VJ environment, whereas Caspar was obviously developed for broadcast purposes, but there may be lots of common uses.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm

One other key difference is that QC is deprecated and is not getting future support from Apple. One of the reasons CamTwist hasn't been updated in a while. On the other hand, Caspar is still in active development. In the end, use what works for you... but never at the expense of learning new things.
Benjamin Higginbotham

Quinn Quality

PostSat Oct 26, 2013 3:33 pm

It's me again. I ran some test today with the BoinxTv software and i came across some great extra features.
Connection schedule (short) BoinxTv installed on a Mac Mini, added a mini display port connector from Thunderbolt to HDMI, set this connection up as a second display (settings for this second display must be Pal or NTSC settings, in my case 50Hz 1080i otherwise BM Atem will not receive the input, i used a small TV to make these settings) connected the mini display port with a HDMI cable to camera input 1 (2,3,4), after this BoinxTv was set to full screen playback and were able to enter the signal from the BoinxTv both as an camera/video signal and as an upstream key to become a top layer for superimpose lower thirds, scoreboard graphics and so on. This is the fun part. Since BoinxTV can have several layers live, i can add any graphic to the layers and it is entered into my ATEM, heck, i can fill the screen up with so many graphic layers that there is almost no video picture left. Second fun part. Instead of a camera input in the BoinxTv layers, i can also enter video clips and play these. When i than just choose the camera input on my switcher where it is connect to, it functions as a video player, yeahhhh. :D :D :D :o Third fun part. It is now also possible to have IP camera's, which are setup in the Studio, to enter the ATEM through BoinxTV, heck it gave me 4 IP camera's extra to play with. Wheather layers, Twitter Layers, Skype conversation and many more (check the BoinxTv site what they have in the layer section). Next year i will be able to enter the graphics into our live broadcast for the women world cup cycling. Heart rate, distance to finish, time between runners, personal information, you name it. One more big advantage for us Mac users, we don't have to program anything, we just fill in the text, positions, size and colors and we are good to go
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Screenwalker

PostSat Oct 26, 2013 9:28 pm

how much layers can You display on MAC MINI ? it is not too low power on graphic card in such small computer? and, how You composite signal ? with green screen ?

Kevin Copeland

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 7:58 pm

The SimpleSupers.com app lets you use PowerPoint as a broadcast character generator using a Windows computer. It generates an alpha channel for key and fill for true transparency, no green screen or luma keying. And no learning curve or expensive hardware.

Brett Casadonte

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 1:04 pm

NewBlueFX is another option... runs on Mac too.

https://www.newbluefx.com
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Return to Live Production