ATEM Mini -> Webcam Output to Chromebox

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

LokiNZ

ATEM Mini -> Webcam Output to Chromebox

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 am

Hi there,

We use Google Chromeboxes in our office with the Google Meet equipment and software. I had planned to use the Atem Mini webcam output a the webcam feed in for the Google Meet Hardware, which is just an Asus Chromebox.

Unfortunately the Chromebox does not see the Webcam output as a real Webcam. Anything I am doing wrong here, or is this just not a compatible use of the devices?

TheAllegedTalent

Re: ATEM Mini -> Webcam Output to Chromebox

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm

I've got a similar problem. My ATEM Mini shows up in my Acer Predator Helios 500 laptop, but does not show up on a custom vMix Ruby X10x64 rig, with a Gigabyte Designare motherboard, Intel Core-i7 CPU, and GTX 1070 video card. How can I get the Mini to show up? Because it is our main rig, and the laptop is only the backup.

rboerner

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 pm

LokiNZ wrote:Hi there,

We use Google Chromeboxes in our office with the Google Meet equipment and software. I had planned to use the Atem Mini webcam output a the webcam feed in for the Google Meet Hardware, which is just an Asus Chromebox.

Unfortunately the Chromebox does not see the Webcam output as a real Webcam. Anything I am doing wrong here, or is this just not a compatible use of the devices?

I can confirm the same result when using a Chromebook.

I connected the Atem Mini to a Chromebook Pixel 2015 LS model laptop running the latest stable release of Chrome OS at this time (version 79) using a USB-A to USB-C cable.

Using the Google Meet application I was able to change the audio source from the laptop's internal microphone to the Atem Mini, however the video output (aka 'webcam output') of the Atem Mini was not detected or present as an option within the application settings.

I then reconnected the same Atem Mini to my Intel NUC desktop system running Windows 10 version 1909 using the same USB cable. I was able to launch the Google Meet application and select the Atem Mini as both the audio and video source. To put that another way, it worked properly and as expected.

While not the most scientific test, the results would appear to indicate that the problem is specific to Chrome OS, and not the Google Meet application itself.

LokiNZ

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:59 pm

Excellent thanks so much for the information, this is a major deal breaker for me for using the Atem. Would be great if this could be solved somehow - without relying on Google to patch it! haha

DavidSweeney

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:53 am

I am trying to use Meets on a Mac Mini with Chrome - and having the same problem. Has anyone experienced a solution for Mac?
David located in Toronto, Canada.

Audio/Visual Department, CAMH

tptman

PostMon May 25, 2020 5:29 pm

I've been trying to get this working all morning. ATEM Mini will not work as a Camera in Chrome. I'm using a 16" Macbook Pro and the latest Chrome build. In Chrome at chrome://settings/content/camera, Blackmagic Design shows up as an option, but selecting it doesn't enable the camera on any sites that use it. It just uses my built in Facetime camera, despite it not being selected. I've tried a bunch of things to fix it and nothing has worked.

The Camera works in Firefox, but Firefox has an issue with my Antelope audio system, so I can use either good video OR good audio, but not both. Frustrating!

reneb86_mm

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 1:50 pm

I have the same issue as described above. I want to stream the Atem Mini output as a webcam signal to a chromebox permanently. But the Google Meet Hardware won't show the Atem Mini as a video source. Even when I unplug the stock Huddly Go camera, and reboot the device on either USB-C or USB-A, it won't display it as a video source option.

On the Google boards they've made mention that BlackMagic has not jumped the latest security hoops for video devices/browsers. Rolling back to chrome pre summer 19 would remove that requirement and make another BlackMagic (Design Ultra studio express) work again. Is anyone in a position to try if this is also true for the Atem Mini? And could BlackMagic comment on that assessment?

fft2911

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 2:37 pm

HI,
I have the same issue here, but it is really wired:

I have a Mac, and Atem Mini pro.

This combination works great as a webcam in Jitsi, Skype, Teams either with Chrome, Brave, Firefox.

But chrome, Brave (same engine as chronme) with meet.google.com does not work.
But meet.google.com with Foerfox does work.

Just as a hint. I informed google as well. Whoever takes care of this problem first :-)

all the best
Juergen
New to Blackmagic since Nov 2020 I own a ATEM Mini Pro ISO and a Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Return to Live Production