ATEM Mini with Camera Oddities

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

chrono32123

ATEM Mini with Camera Oddities

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Sorry for the long post, tl;dr Different model cameras refuse to work with both set to 1080p, they have to be set to different resolutions to get both camers working on the ATEM mini.

I just got an ATEM Mini in and am setting it up for my church live streams to replace us using two capture cards in one pc and to add our lyrics and verses onto the livestreams. The camera hardware we're using is two cameras and a windows PC sending Pro-Presenter over through the ATEM Mini.

Last night was my first night connecting the cameras to the ATEM mini and I found some unusual behavior with the cameras and was wondering if I could get any ideas on what might be causing issues here.

So the cameras are Canon XA10 and Canon XA11. We were originally using just the XA10 and recently added a second shot with the XA11. Both cameras output in 1080p BUT the XA10 does whole number framerates (30fps) while the XA11 uses the NTSC values for framerates (29.97fps).

When I connected my cameras originally I had the XA10 in Input 1 and the XA11 in Input 2 but the XA11 feed would just flash occasionally. I swapped them and got the exact same thing. After a while of googling and changing some settings on the camreas I finally got both cameras to work but ONLY if one of the cameras was set to a lower resolution than 1080p. So now I have the XA11 at 720p and the XA10 at 1080p and things seem to work fine. This isn't a huge deal for us because we can only stream to Facebook at 720p anyway BUT I would rather ingest at a higher quality and let OBS scale down to 720p so I can record and upload the higher quality videos to youtube later.

So what I'm wondering is what would cause these cameras to need to be at different resolutions for this to work? Does it come down to the framerate or could it be that the XA10 isn't outputting in 1080p and that's causing issues with the feed? I've had a problem with the XA10 with a 1080p splitter, it just refused to work with a splitter that I confirmed working with other devices at any resolution between 480p and 1080p. I'm honestly questioning if the XA10 is actually outputting at 1080p at all but I don't have too many ways to confirm that easily.

Has anyone seen this issue with different cameras on their ATEM (mini or not)?
Any ideas or feedback are appreciated!

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM Mini with Camera Oddities

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 pm

Hello Adam. I don't know the cameras but most of the time flashing and no picture point to HDMI cables being too long. You didn't say but try to test with something like a 3' cable just to rule that out. In some cases HDMI sources may be out of frequency range if they are not locked but that probably is not the case here.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

chrono32123

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:13 am

I’ve had these run for a few months and had zero problems with their signal. I’m not saying it’s not possible but if the signals were jacked up from the cables being too long I feel like it would have been a problem already.

I’m more confused that either camera works fine on input 1 on its own at 1080p but whichever camera gets plugged into 2-4 doesn’t work at 1080p. Running on two elgato pcie cards at 1080p hasn’t been a problem.

TBrown805

PostWed Sep 02, 2020 4:17 am

Adam, I just received my Atem Mini Pro ISO yesterday and cannot get either of my two XA10s to work.

I’m wondering, having never owned an Atem before, is it normal to not get anything out of the HDMI ou at al, until cameras are hooked up? One would expect to see something from the output.

B&H says I need to run the XA10 into a splitter and then into the Atem as the XA10 might not push enough volts for the Atem. I tried that and nothing works.

Did you have to do anything special to get your XA10 to work with your Atem Mini?

Thanks for your time,

TB

chrono32123 wrote:Sorry for the long post, tl;dr Different model cameras refuse to work with both set to 1080p, they have to be set to different resolutions to get both camers working on the ATEM mini.

I just got an ATEM Mini in and am setting it up for my church live streams to replace us using two capture cards in one pc and to add our lyrics and verses onto the livestreams. The camera hardware we're using is two cameras and a windows PC sending Pro-Presenter over through the ATEM Mini.

Last night was my first night connecting the cameras to the ATEM mini and I found some unusual behavior with the cameras and was wondering if I could get any ideas on what might be causing issues here.

So the cameras are Canon XA10 and Canon XA11. We were originally using just the XA10 and recently added a second shot with the XA11. Both cameras output in 1080p BUT the XA10 does whole number framerates (30fps) while the XA11 uses the NTSC values for framerates (29.97fps).

When I connected my cameras originally I had the XA10 in Input 1 and the XA11 in Input 2 but the XA11 feed would just flash occasionally. I swapped them and got the exact same thing. After a while of googling and changing some settings on the camreas I finally got both cameras to work but ONLY if one of the cameras was set to a lower resolution than 1080p. So now I have the XA11 at 720p and the XA10 at 1080p and things seem to work fine. This isn't a huge deal for us because we can only stream to Facebook at 720p anyway BUT I would rather ingest at a higher quality and let OBS scale down to 720p so I can record and upload the higher quality videos to youtube later.

So what I'm wondering is what would cause these cameras to need to be at different resolutions for this to work? Does it come down to the framerate or could it be that the XA10 isn't outputting in 1080p and that's causing issues with the feed? I've had a problem with the XA10 with a 1080p splitter, it just refused to work with a splitter that I confirmed working with other devices at any resolution between 480p and 1080p. I'm honestly questioning if the XA10 is actually outputting at 1080p at all but I don't have too many ways to confirm that easily.

Has anyone seen this issue with different cameras on their ATEM (mini or not)?
Any ideas or feedback are appreciated!

Return to Live Production