CCU panel with other switcher?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Lee_AVP

CCU panel with other switcher?

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 2:39 am

Is there a way to send CCU to URSA cameras without an ATEM switcher?

We use Tricasters in most of our productions. I know I could theoretically pipe the return SDI through a TVS in order to get CCU, but presumably that would preempt the tally from the Tricaster. Tricaster does support tally over SDI which has been nice.

What happens if I send two returns into the fiber converters, one from the Tricaster for Tally and one from the ATEM for CCU?

Is there another way to accomplish this?
E. Lee Dickinson | President
Advanced Visual Production | Sound.Lighting.Video.Design
www.avprva.com

Xtreemtec

Re: CCU panel with other switcher?

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 am

Well it's difficult.. :lol:

What you CAN do is run an Atem tvs or something for the CCU and add an Arduino Shield behind it. to Overwrite the Tally.

Here is the code to get a Tally overwrite. Just need to get some General Purpose outputs on the tricaster for your tally.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70657
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Lee_AVP

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks! This seems doable.

But didn't I see somewhere in the forum that the shield doesn't work if you're using fiber converters?
www.avprva.com

Lee_AVP

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 pm

I wonder if a second shield could read the SDI tally info from the Tricaster and then rewrite it in to the stream on the other? A little data merger.
www.avprva.com

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Yes you would be able to do that..
Only have to check how to set up 2 Shields with 1 processor. It should be able to do it.. But might need some investigation..

The Tricaster does support SDI Tally control for the BMD cameras? Do you have a link to info about that?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Lee_AVP

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 3:01 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The Tricaster does support SDI Tally control for the BMD cameras? Do you have a link to info about that?

At least the Tricaster 460 and the TC1 do. It used to be listed on the feature pages, but not anymore. I believe at this time the feature is officially unsupported, but it remains in the codebase.

When you connect a return feed from a Tricaster into a Blackmagic camera system - either the cameras themselves or into the ATEM camera converters, Tally is indicated.

You can read a little bit about it in my own post on the topic here. I was initially frustrated that it wasn't working on our new switcher, but discovered I had the camera numbers set wrong and that it did in fact work: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.ph ... dded-Tally
www.avprva.com

Return to Live Production