Standard way to route single audio to all video outputs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

davidkrider

Standard way to route single audio to all video outputs

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 pm

A couple years ago, our church built a new sanctuary, and got a load of new equipment to learn. We're at a point in our processes where we are just figuring out how to take advantage of a lot of the things that the AV consultants specified and installed for us. One of these things is a BlackMagic Videohub 12x12. We're starting to route about a half dozen cameras (and a computer, of course) through 3 outputs: an Aja Helo (for recording and streaming), the LED wall, and the CC TV feed.

The problem is audio. Up till now, we've just been happy to connect one camera from the board, and use it exclusively for the streaming/recording and CC feeds. What we really need is for the output of the FOH console to feed all of these output destinations, regardless of which input is being used.

There was a very tempting snippet in the manual for this product which made me think I could set one of the SDI inputs to be the audio source of all the outputs. I see now that this is referring to the Multiview product, and not the Videohub.

So I'm throwing this out to this community. What's the "standard" way we should be considering to get the FOH feed to all of the outputs of a Videohub? I certainly can't chain my audio to every video source. Some of the cameras don't even have audio. Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong. Maybe there's a simple, cheap solution. Maybe we need to buy something else entirely, some sort of time-synchronizer monstrosity. I know computers and sound, but I just don't know much about video, and could use a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks all,
dk

davidkrider

Re: Standard way to route single audio to all video outputs

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 3:44 pm

Someone reposted the FAQ, and, after reading through that, it would seem that the way to get the FOH audio sent along with any video input is to buy an "SDI audio embedder." Those things seem pricey for what they do, so connecting one to each camera feed is probably overkill. The Aja Helo streaming device has an audio in already, so it seems like the thing to do is to buy one embedder to place just before the splitter to the closed circuit TV feed. Unless someone has another insight, that seems like the best option.

scotmacman

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 8:26 pm

At the risk of speaking contrary to the advice of your AV Consultants, I would humbly suggest that a VideoHub is not the correct product for your intended usage. Whilst it (almost) does that job that you need doing, I suggest that a Production Switcher is the tool you need. As an aside it would address your audio issue in one fell swoop as well.

davidkrider

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 8:57 pm

OK, that puts me on paper. I'm looking over the marketing pages for the ATEM line, and I see that it can mix audio from all camera sources, and an external input as well. So, yeah, that would definitely sort out the audio. Thanks for the pointer!

Return to Live Production