Lens Question for Studio 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ashbizzle

Lens Question for Studio 4K

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 8:06 pm

I have been given the task of troubleshooting an issue with our church's camera lens, or at least that is what I am confident our situation is. We don't really have any video connections so we are on our own with the help of Google and experts like you! Here's the scenario...

We recently acquired a Studio 4k camera that we use to record services and broadcast to a live stream. The lens is a PANASONIC LUMIX G VARIO LENS, 12-60MM, F3.5-5.6 MFT POWER OPTICAL I.S. The camera is in a fixed location and is in the back of the sanctuary (approx 75 feet from the stage). Image quality is fine but it is extremely dark and we have adjusted camera settings as much as we can but it still isn't light enough. At this point, I don't think it is a settings issue but a lens one, but I don't really know where to go from here. Attached is a screenshot from the most recent Sunday.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that can help us lighten things up! :-)
Attachments
2020-02-05.jpg
2020-02-05.jpg (81.15 KiB) Viewed 260 times

guidovanarezzo

Re: Lens Question for Studio 4K

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 6:45 pm

First of all, the Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K is a 'studio' camera, compared to other camera's (for example the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera) the sensor of the Studio 4K needs a lot of light. It is design to work in an environment where there is a lot of light available (the studio).

Second of all, the lens that you are using also requires quite some light, a lens with a higher aperture (lower f number), gives you a wider opening, meaning more light on your sensor. If you already set the Gain in the camera to +12 dB (and tried other settings) than you might want to consider a better lens, though my advise would be to first add more light to your scene. If that is not possible and a better lens doesn't work (note: you can rent these to test), then the 'studio' version might not be right for you.

Howard Roll

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 12:41 pm

At the end of the zoom, which it looks like you are, that lens is an f5.6, super slow.

The Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 or Olympus 40-150 f2.8 have a more useful zoom range and are 2 stops (4X) brighter. Neither lens is inexpensive.

There are more affordable solutions, primes, adapters, boosters, etc., if you want to work for it. The mft zooms are plug and play.

Good Luck

P.S. A quick and dirty trick to scavenge light is a slow shutter. I’ll take a little extra motion blur over underexposure every time.

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 am

Note that with a faster lens, the depth-range that is in focus also gets smaller.
So the focus needs to be adjusted more precisely and carefully.
An important factor for a live environment.

Fornez

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 2:46 pm

Is this the Micro Studio 4k or the Studio 4k camera?

Return to Live Production