ATEM Mini Audio Input Hum

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Puddleglum

ATEM Mini Audio Input Hum

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 4:47 pm

I have clean audio coming out of my Behringer x32 console... I can plug the signal into my Boem B-66 and it's crystal clear at any output level. When I plug it into the ATEM Mini, either of the two 'mic' inputs, there is a persistent loud hum and a crackle.

There's no way to isolate a ground-loop as the power supply is not grounded.

Not that it matters, but I've taken audio out of the Aux 5/6, the Control room 1/4" (balanced), the Control room XLR, and from one of the analog ouput channels run into an BSS AR-133 Direct Box (which has XLR input).

All are clean. The noise is being created by the ATEM Mini.

ksummerall

Re: ATEM Mini Audio Input Hum

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 pm

Do you happen to have your X32 connected to a stage box via CAT5? If so, is it shielded? If not, this can cause a hum like you are describing. I had this happen 2 weeks ago. Coming from an Aux on an X32 to the Mini. Had a terrible hum. Tried different outputs, cables, lifted the ground on the console...nothing worked. Unplug the cat cable running from the house X32 (this was the broadcast console) and the hum disappears! Replaced that cable with a proper EtherCON Shielded cable and we are good.

Ken
Ken Summerall, Jr
Ken Summerall Productions

rogersuski

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:56 pm

Have you tried an isolation transformer from the X32 to the ATEM Mini?

What are you sending form the X32 (mic or line) and what is the Mini expecting? (mic or line)

Is the ATEM Mini connected to a computer via USB?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 12:28 am

Unbalanced audio is susceptible to hum and noise. This can come from ground loops, poor shielding or cables near equipment with transformers and power supplies. If the source is balanced, I recommend an isolation transformer mentioned above keeping the unbalanced part of the system short. It is not correct to simply wire balanced to unbalanced. This input is either stereo mic at -55 db or stereo HiFi at -15 db. It may be best to amplify the microphone to HiFi levels for better S/N. The 3.5mm jack is Tip-Left, Ring-Right, and Sleeve-Ground. I hope this helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Puddleglum

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 pm

Yes to the Cat5 (Cat6e) question. Shielded, but crummy copper clad aluminum. I'll give that a shot, I should stress however that when I plug that audio into other equipment, it's clean.

ksummerall wrote:Do you happen to have your X32 connected to a stage box via CAT5? If so, is it shielded? If not, this can cause a hum like you are describing. I had this happen 2 weeks ago. Coming from an Aux on an X32 to the Mini. Had a terrible hum. Tried different outputs, cables, lifted the ground on the console...nothing worked. Unplug the cat cable running from the house X32 (this was the broadcast console) and the hum disappears! Replaced that cable with a proper EtherCON Shielded cable and we are good.

Ken

ksummerall

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 pm

Puddleglum wrote:Yes to the Cat5 (Cat6e) question. Shielded, but crummy copper clad aluminum. I'll give that a shot, I should stress however that when I plug that audio into other equipment, it's clean.
[/quote]

I should note that I believe that Behringer recommends the use of EtherCon connectors between consoles and stage boxes. I think that the idea is that they help with the grounding and shielding of the cables.

I'm not sure why this only affects the Mini but it did in my case too. Audio from the headphones was crystal clear.

Ken
Ken Summerall, Jr
Ken Summerall Productions

wong0267

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 3:45 am

i have the same issue coming out of my Universal Audio Apollo.
it's obnoxious. i know audio well. i've tried several different cables and sources. it seems as if everything has a hum that gets plugged in.
i have crystal clear audio coming from it. and i have other Black Magic switchers and it works just fine on those....

help!?!

riverdesign

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 7:23 pm

I'm having same issue and curious if you ever worked out the solution?

Michael_Andreas

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 9:23 pm

My ATEM audio sourced from my Behringer panel was distorted until I went into the ATEM control software and switched the ATEM audio input from Mic to Line.

jeclark

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 8:15 pm

We were experiencing a continuous chirping/cheeping sound from our Behringer XAir 18 mixer to the Atem Mini. Once we changed the Mic 1 setting from "Mic" to "Line" in the ATEM Mini software control, we were successful in eliminating the sound. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

vEddYcro

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm

I had a similar problem, and it was really, really annoying. Basically, I connected the output from my sound card to MIC input and set it to LINE level. The high-frequency buzz/hum/noise was really, really loud.

I was able to solve it with some help from external devices. Specifically, this is what I'm doing with the audio path:

1. I'm using SSL 2+ for audio, second headphone output from it goes to extension Y cable;
2. Extension Y cable is connected to IMG Stageline DIB-102 (L/R going to input 1 and 2), this is using a completely balanced audio path;
3. outputs from the IMG Stageline DIB-102 are connected to MIC1/2 on the Atem, using pro snake Camera Cable 0,3 (XLR to 3.5mm mini jack stereo)
4. On the ATEM mixer, sound is panned L/R on MIC1/2
5. in ATEM configuration, it's set to MIC level, not line level

Sound is now absolutely perfect. This is what happens when you have unbalanced audio (inputs) and, more often, ground loops.

ItsCool

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 9:55 am

Thanks all for the input. I learned a lot about sound control. I had the same floor noise only on mic1/mic2 when connecting my sampler. Tried switching cables etc. etc. In the end I found out that the USB charger of the sampler caused the hum. So I switched to another charger and the sound is perfect now. Case of hmmmmm instead of duhhhh ;-)

The Goods

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 10:09 pm

Here is my problem with the HUM! When I plug in the jack connected from my iPhone 8 to just play music to test or from my sound system through a xlr cable to a Rapcohorizon with a ground lift to the Atem mini pro I am getting a BUZZ/HUM in to the computer. When I turn off the MIC 1 it does go away so I know that is the problem. I have also changed it from line to mic and vise versa not big changes.

Any help would be welcomed.

Joel

pete_cornelius

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 4:03 am

I have just ordered a Dual Transformer/Isolator, fingers crossed it stops the NOISE!

GHShaw

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 4:57 am

Background: Church YouTube Streaming system with X32 sound board and ATEM Mini Extreme switcher. MIC1 set to Line, Gain set to 0.00.

Audio from Soundboard to MIC1 or MIC2 input had the 60hz hum others experiencing. Inserting a 3.5mm stereo noise isolator between the 3.5mm stereo audio cable and the MIC1 input did the trick. No hum.

Used a PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator (for 3.5 MM Applications). This device common in the automotive sound system world.
Inexpensive possible solution to try.

waju0001

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 8:48 am

I have had the same "HUM" on mic1/2.
The only solution with ATEM Mini extreme ISO:
Presonus Monitor out --> Mini Converter AUDIO to SDI --> Converter SDI to HDMI --> HDMI in
Work - but I think that's a bad "Blackmagic-Solution".

Return to Live Production