Sending Multitrack Audio from ATEM Mini to Video Assist 12G

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

gaylordmenendez

Sending Multitrack Audio from ATEM Mini to Video Assist 12G

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 2:10 pm

I can't figure out how to send seperate audio tracks from my ATEM Mini to my Video Assist 12G.

It's a podcast setup — 5 mics and 4 cams — and I want to send each mic on its own track (through the cams via HDMI to the ATEM mini). That's not the problem. But I can't get more than a stereo mix out of the MINI to the Video Assist. Is this even possible..?

Thanks!

JD

AndyMcHardy

Re: Sending Multitrack Audio from ATEM Mini to Video Assist

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 pm

You will only be able to get a stereo mix on the HDMI output of the ATEM Mini.
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Sending Multitrack Audio from ATEM Mini to Video Assist

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 12:38 am

AndyMcHardy wrote:You will only be able to get a stereo mix on the HDMI output of the ATEM Mini.
Note that this limitation doesn't just apply to the entry level ATEM Mini model. None of the ATEM models currently support embedding more than 2 audio channels on their program outputs.

If you need to embed more than 2 channels, you would probably need to use a separate audio embedder like the Mini Converter Audio to SDI, which lets you embed up to 4 audio channels from analog audio sources or 8 channels from AES/EBU digital audio sources into an SDI video signal. For each audio channel, you can choose whether to keep the audio from the input video source, or replace it with the external audio input into the converter. So you could keep the audio channels 1/2 from the ATEM output, if desired, and just replace the higher numbered audio channels.

Since the Audio to SDI only has an SDI input, you'd also need something like an HDMI to SDI Micro Converter to convert the HDMI video output from the ATEM Mini to SDI.

This may seem like a lot of extra trouble, which is probably why the ability to embed more than 2 audio channels is a frequently requested ATEM feature:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=253#p498249

Return to Live Production