Audio Only through Analog to SDI mini converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TechTips

Audio Only through Analog to SDI mini converter

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Is it possible to use the Analog to SDI mini converter to embed audio, exclusively? I need a small solution to get audio into my ATEM TVS in a Fly Pack. I have a Behringer Deq2496 and a rack mixer, but I am trying to cram everything into a Pelican 1510, think I have everything figured out. I will lose the DEQ2496 for a couple of sharks, a field mixer but need to convert to Aes/beu

Any help is appreciated,

mobilehd

Re: Audio Only through Analog to SDI mini converter

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 pm

No, you can not do this exclusively. Without the video signal running through to the input the TVS will not detect any feed from the converter and the audio will not pass. With the 1me you could run the ntsc out back into the analog video input but with the tvs I think you will need to throw a camera on there (or other video source). I just threw a cheep old camcorder on mine and never switched to it. I configured the audio mixer in the ATEM software to just use that input and used my field mixer to control all of the audio feeds. I would definitely test this prior to going on location to make sure all is good. I learned this lesson the hard way.
Last edited by mobilehd on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:15 am

i have a different experience with the mini converter. the embedder does generate a video signal when it embeds the audio into the stream. it has no picture info, but it is there nonetheless-has to be to carry the audio info. you can put audio into a Audio to SDI unit with no video, and get the audio back out of a connected SDI to Audio unit. now of course when you do connect video, the audio gets interrupted briefly while it reclocks to the new video source.

at $500, the Audio to SDI is a little pricey for this job anyway. there are plenty of analog to AES converters about this size that cost much less...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 2:03 am

Another post mentioned the ability to use a simple Analog to SPDIF converter to get audio in to the TVS. These converters usually have a COAX and SPDIF connector - you just use an RCA to BNC cable/converter to get the audio in to the TVS.

Note: I have not used such a device - but others forum members have.

Here is a link to one such device on Amazon
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

mobilehd

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 3:21 am

Possible that this issue was fixed in one of the ATEM updates so I would try it and see. The converter may pass the audio but the TVS did not recognize the signal without the video. I used an extra converter for this about a year an a half ago and the audio mixer was greyed out (for that input) until the video signal was hooked up. Definately not the cheepest way to get audio to the TVS but if you have an extra converter you may as well use it - if you're buying a converter just for this I would go the Analog to SPDIF converter route.

My experience - just because something should work doesn't mean it will. I had to troubleshoot the "converter for audio" set up for about an hour replacing wires, recycling the units and making phone calls trying to figure it out while on a live shoot. The solution was to get the TVS to recognize the signal by hooking up a video source which allowed the ATEM software to free up the audio input and make it useable.

Return to Live Production