Portable small "Media Player" Device - does it exist?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Daniel Binder

Portable small "Media Player" Device - does it exist?

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm working on an ultra-light, ultra-mobile solution for a two-camera live switching setup going into a mobile streaming encoder. Here's my problem: I need to be able to switch between two sources and something that works like the Media Player for stills in any ATEM switcher as a third source - and I need this to be very small, light weight and ideally power efficient (as it would be part of a handheld rig). It would be sufficient if the device could just output one still image (It would basically just be a slide saying "we'll be right back after a 5 minute break").

First idea was to use an ATEM mini, but my camera sources are SDI and even that little box is too bulky to be mounted on a handheld mobile setup.
I was considering an Atomos Shogun 7 or ConvergentDesign 7Q+/Apollo as a switcher, but they lack the media player - so I ended up with this question:

Does anyone know of a small device, ideally with an SDI output, but HDMI would be ok too, something like a HDMI-stick that is able to play a still image continuously? Ideally it could be loaded with a file (or switched to a different file) through an app from a phone and would support 720p50 and 1080p25/p50. It would be even better if it had an internal battery and could also be powered with an external battery (so that switching the external battery would not interrupt it). Does this exist? Maybe something from the digital signage world?

There is probably a way to make almost any android phone to do that, but I would prefer a dedicated device that would be hopefully a bit more reliable (I don't like the idea of having to use a micro-usb to HDMI adapter very much). I also considered using a Video Assist, but I'm not sure how stable that would be (and they are rather heavy and even with reduced brightness on the screen, would probably use quite a bit of power).

Any ideas and pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Daniel

Pavel Lavrov

Re: Portable small "Media Player" Device - does it exist?

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 2:02 am

Atomos Ninja Star could be used as playback device... But you would be better off with something like raspberry pi. You still would need to switch between video and graphic source...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

robertsmu

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 7:56 am

Search for the Micca Speck G2 on Amazon. Maybe it would work for you?

Daniel Binder

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 6:09 pm

robertsmu wrote:Search for the Micca Speck G2 on Amazon. Maybe it would work for you?

Hi Robert, thanks for the hint. That looks like something that could work. Have you used one of those? Can you say anything about reliability?

Thanks,
Daniel

robertsmu

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 12:20 am

One of the units in our library uses (and recommends) it. For $39 I am going to buy one myself.

RichardJolly

PostSat Feb 29, 2020 1:00 am

This https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/25-0 ... deo-SD-SDI would have been cool, IF it could have been programmed and put out HD!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

henryc

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 3:17 pm

I have the Micca Speck G2. I bought it as part of my livestreaming workflow with Webcaster X2.

There is no audio if I connect this in as one of the HDMI inputs on the ATEM Mini. Otherwise, it works perfectly to store media.

Daniel Binder wrote:
robertsmu wrote:Search for the Micca Speck G2 on Amazon. Maybe it would work for you?

Hi Robert, thanks for the hint. That looks like something that could work. Have you used one of those? Can you say anything about reliability?

Thanks,
Daniel

Giordano

PostSat Feb 13, 2021 10:45 pm

This is true of all video in all formats. Attached is a diagram of the problem.

When an iOS device is connected to the switcher via HDMI, sound is passed to the switcher.
When the micca device is connected to the switcher using the same cable and port, no sound is passed.
When an HDMI splitter is connected to the micca, it confirms that audio is going out from the micca.

Anyone have an idea what interaction might be going on here?
Attachments
ATEM-micca.jpg
ATEM no audio from micca
ATEM-micca.jpg (371.8 KiB) Viewed 1253 times

Giordano

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 9:11 pm

UPDATE

ATM Mini accepts audio over HDMI from Micca Speck G2 Media Player only for audio files, not for video files. In other words, sound from an MP3 file is recognized by ATEM over HDMI; sound from a video file is not recognized by ATEM over HDMI.

Input source is MP4 video, 1080p, H.264 (1-1-1), 30 fps, Stereo (LR), AAC, 44100Hz.

Micca Speck G2
Outputs standard PCM 2.0 stereo signal over HDMI.
Nothing is connected to the AV jack on the player.
Audio Output Mode is set to Normal.

ATEM Mini
macOS 10.15.7
ATEM software v8.6
Input tested on all 4 HDMI ports.
ATEM Software Control Preferences:
Video format set to Auto
Video format set to 1080p30 to match video source.
No change either way.

Giordano

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 12:33 am

SOLVED
ATEM Mini will accept and play audio only at 48000 Hz.
When the source is sending audio at 44100 Hz, ATEM will not play it.

Return to Live Production