BMSC + lanc problem & terranex Problem

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Loigne Nans

BMSC + lanc problem & terranex Problem

PostWed Mar 04, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi,
We use 2 Studio Camera with manfrotto lanc controler, that's nice, but aleatory in certain time and when a camera are overheating always aleatory, we have a problem with lanc zoom command. She stop suddently, but if we use them from Atem television studio, she work. That's seem be a bug caused by overheating but not sure. Have an idea ? I think creat a better external cooling system for BMSC.

OUr second problem is a aleatory time code on terranex AV who have IN timecode (even no cam or recording was launched) who continuously display random numbers. I've test the both SDI IN, same. On OUT nothing. IN HDMI nothing. I've try reset, same, reset atem same. I've try to change SDI cable between PGR ATEM and Terranex, same. But that's have no incident on record or out... Have an idea ?

Loigne Nans

Re: BMSC + lanc problem & terranex Problem

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 11:22 am

after many tests, it looks like the Blackmagix Studio "crashes" when it gets too hot. Among other things, control via LANC remote control jumps. The camera must then be turned off and restarted to regain control. The optics are not in question, and neither are the LANC grips ... A patch to solve this problem or a cooling solution?

Howard Roll

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 3:26 pm

One of my micros gets so hot by the exhaust that it will easily burn your skin with more than incidental contact. That one will “thermal” out though not by design. It wasn’t always like this and the other cams are fine.

I use 2 and 3 amp power supplies with my cameras and they seem to be more stable. If the cams are overheating you should look into repair/replacement.

Good Luck

LouisBacker

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Loigne Nans wrote:Hi,
We use 2 Studio Camera with manfrotto lanc controler, that's nice, but aleatory in certain time and when a camera are overheating always aleatory, we have a problem with lanc zoom command. She stop suddently, but if we use them from Atem television studio, she work. That's seem be a bug caused by overheating but not sure. Have an idea ? I think creat a better external cooling system for BMSC.

I purchased four Manfrotto Lanc zoom/focus/Iris control bars for my Ursa Broadcast cameras last year. Initially, I found they took a lot of plugging and unplugging to communicate with the cameras. When the BMD Camera 6.7 update came along, they worked perfectly first time, though they take some seconds to be recognised, at first power-up.

The only problem with the Manfrotto Lanc controllers is that control is too coarse for those three functions. Even the zoom control on our Television Studio 4K is too coarse and not that accurate. For slow smooth zooming you might be best buying a branded zoom demand to match whatever lens you are using.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Denny Smith

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 pm

LANC also has too much delay for live broadcast use. LANC was not designed to be a live broadcast remote controller system. If you need precise focus and zoom control, you need to step up to a Ursa BroadcSt and use B5 broadcast zoom lenses, with their respective zoom/focus controller. Also CCU control of the broadcast lenses is more precise with the Ursa Boradcast.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production