Belden vs Canare vs Sommercable

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ChristofferA

Belden vs Canare vs Sommercable

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 9:21 am

I've scrolled through the forum, and did find some posts about this, but some were 7 years old.

So, here's a new post. What about the difference between Belden, Canare and Sommercable? Can they hold the signals as long as they tell? Any experience?

Attaching a cable sheet from sommercable.
Attachments
Max. Transmission Lengths.png
Sommer Cables sheet with attenuation and distance calculation.
Max. Transmission Lengths.png (865.38 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
-------
MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16"

MambaFiber.com

Re: Belden vs Canare vs Sommercable

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 3:56 pm

you can't always go by specs. it's a good place to start, but the reality is that sometimes you will exceed specs, sometimes you won't.

For most people on this board, "working" means you get a picture out of the other end of the pipe. I lot of times there can be errors in the signal, too small to notice. Where do you define "broken"? a few pixels missing but not noticeable, or when the picture finally fails completely? I for one use a signal analyser which can detect a single bit error, definitely not visible in the picture. I'm sure the manufacturers do something like this too for their specifications. For this reason I'd wager that most of their specs are a little on the conservative side.

Also, cable type, connector type (equally important), how well the connector is installed, and the devices you have on both ends of the cable ALL factor into whether or not "it's going to work". As long as you are using the right cable/connector for your signal you will most likely not encounter any issues ever up to about 200ft/1080-100ft/4k. Trying to get to the very end of the rated distance is asking for trouble tho, when you consider the other factors mentioned. For greater distances I'd say you should be looking into fiber optic cable, where you can literally go for miles with no issues.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

Re: Belden vs Canare vs Sommercable

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Here is a reference topic about 12G cabling. ;) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54287&p=312180
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production