Remote Blackmagic 4k/6k shooting with ATEM Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sterlingadgate

Remote Blackmagic 4k/6k shooting with ATEM Mini

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 pm

I am working on remote video production workflows. Meaning, a way that a production company could ship a camera + laptop OR camera + router to an interviewee's house. The setup would be basic enough so that the talent could turn laptop & camera on, connect them via HDMI/USB3, and then director/dp/clients would remotely connect to laptop for viewing & camera control.

I found a solve how to do this with Panasonic GH5 + Lumix Tether app & with Canon EOS R + EOS Utility 3 software. Both have limitations though, and I would prefer to do this with my Blackmagic cameras.

Here is my main question

Does the ATEM mini or ATEM mini pro's included software offer similar camera control that the mobile/tablet 'bluetooth+' has? Does it offer basically all camera control? (Video Formats, WB, Iris, Shutter Speed, ISO, LUTs, Focus, Audio Levels) ?

Rey Kroona

Re: Remote Blackmagic 4k/6k shooting with ATEM Mini

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 10:11 pm

It offers some settings that the Bluetooth+ app offers, but not all. Specifically, from the top of my head, the Atem offers:

ISO/Gain
WB
Shutter
Iris
Autofocus
Focus
Zoom (if the lens supports it, I've never used this successfully)
DaVinci Color Correction

Atem Mini Pro also offers recording

It does not offer things like recording format (6k, 5.7k, etc), codec (ProRes vs RAW), frame rate, audio levels, any metadata, etc. that the Bluetooth+ app does.

One thought, Blackmagic's developer tools has a Macsample app that gives you these controls. It's basically a sample app on what you can do with the SDK, but maybe it'll work for you?

Denny Smith

Re: Remote Blackmagic 4k/6k shooting with ATEM Mini

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 am

Sterling, the ATEM Mini and Mini Pro both have Camera control through the ATEM’s CCU, and you can remotely control the ATEM Mini over the Internet. See Grams Video on the Mini Pro, which also will al,ow remote record triggering on the Pocket camera. I think one or two Pocket cameras and the Mini ATEM will give you what you are looking for. See Live Production Update here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production