Confirmation on how 60hz firmware update is going to work

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Liam Kennedy

Confirmation on how 60hz firmware update is going to work

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 pm

From the posts here I know many of us are eagerly awaiting the release of the next ATEM firmware update with the 60Hz capability re-implemented.

One clarification. We're not looking for a new frame rate option in the ATEM. We need to use BOTH 60Hz and 59.94 Hz devices at the same time when we have the ATEM in a 59.94 mode. That's how it worked in 3.1.2 and prior... and that's how we need it to work again when you have re-implemented this.

The market reality is there are MANY MANY devices out there (scalers/cameras etc) which only list a 60Hz option and simply do not support a 59.94Hz option.

We've all purchased such units, tested with our ATEMS previously and had them working. We need them to work again - with our other gear (cameras particularly) that are running in 59.94 mode.

Thank you!
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Tom_Bassford

Re: Confirmation on how 60hz firmware update is going to wor

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 5:28 pm

Nobody from BMD has (afaik) ever mentioned that this issue will be fixed in the next or any future firmware.

BMD tend not to promise functions / fixes preferring to roll out the changes and then see if anyone notices.

A pretty poor approach imho.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:Nobody from BMD has (afaik) ever mentioned that this issue will be fixed in the next or any future firmware.

BMD tend not to promise functions / fixes preferring to roll out the changes and then see if anyone notices.

A pretty poor approach imho.

Tom. You did indeed miss some of the posts from BMD about this. Here is a link to one specifically speaking to this being fixed.

Joshua Helling wrote:Also as an FYI we are working on adding official support for 1080i60 into the ATEM line. Previously it was not officially supported or tested, but it did work. When we released 3.2 this function broke (again since we weren't testing it we didn't know). But we are now working on supporting it officially. But the converters will get you there as well, and I would imagine that 50i would work too, though you might have to manually "list the modes" to select it in a PAL region.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=419&p=3533&hilit=1080i60#p3533

That was just ONE of the posts by BMD. There are others.

Of course right after my reply on that thread Joshua came back with a posty basically saying... no gurantees on when this will be implemented... while in other posts it was given this was a very high priority.

Joshua Helling wrote:I only know that we are actively working on it.

So that means it could be in the next release, or if the changes for the next release were already too close to release it may be in the one following. Of course, that being said...as always with adding features, it's entirely possible that things could take us longer than we expect and it might get pushed out.

So... what that really means is i'm not exactly sure when, but we do see it as an important issue.

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 6:33 pm

All of which further reduces confidence.

To me the HDMI issue is pretty simple. The switcher should update the EDID of the HDMI inputs to match the currently selected ATEM mode - the EDID "preferred resolution" should always match the timing requirements of the ATEM operating mode.

the 60hz / 59.94 thing is an anomaly - many devices say 60hz and output 59.94 whilst others do the oposite.

either way it is clear that for broad system compatibility it is crucial that both frequencies work together with the ability to mix 60/59.94 sources.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Just noticed the following update on the 60Hz issue.

Darren Lew wrote:The v3.4 release will enable the Mackie Protocol Interface capability and we hope to have that out in about 6 weeks or so. What Martijns saw at IBC was a development version. 3.4 will also have SD Anamorphic 16:9 added and we will un-tweak our inputs and allow 60Hz back in! There will be 1 or 2 minor additions as well.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1308&sid=df615d0be584240a75d1adbc279f344c#p6865

So...about 6 weeks or so. Wish it were sooner... but better than no news.

DonnyDiablo

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Hey, it's better than never. Which is what some manufactures do...
Production Manager
Orlando Productions - Orlando, FL

Michael Beck

PostSun Oct 14, 2012 5:56 pm

So, is there a fix for this? I am having issues with getting my Mac Pro to show up on my ATEM, and I really need a solution :(
------------
-Michael Beck

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Oct 14, 2012 10:29 pm

No. Not yet. 3.4 is roumored to support it (confirmed by a post from Black Magic).. but until that comes out none of us know.

Return to Live Production