New To Blackmagic Forum - ATEM Mini Pro Question

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

edgarthall

New To Blackmagic Forum - ATEM Mini Pro Question

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 11:45 pm

I am new to the Blackmagic Forum. I am currently in the process of purchasing the ATEM Mini Pro. But before I do I am trying to understand if I can use the following cameras to connect to the ATEM Mini Pro to broadcast live (stream) using Facebook Live and/or YouTube:

Canon EOS REbel T6i
Canon EOS 7D
Apple iPhone 6s (iOS V13.4)
Samsung SM-J337A (Android V9)

Will I need to purchase any additional 3rd party software in order to get these cameras to work with the ATEM Mini Pro?

Alsom, I have an old Canon XL and Canon XL2 that I would like to use on occasion for effect. Will the ATEM Mini Pro recognize these cameras?

Thanks for your help.
Tim

Denny Smith

Re: New To Blackmagic Forum - ATEM Mini Pro Question

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 9:47 pm

The two Canon cameras should not be an issue, however, you need a hdmi output for the iPhone and Samsung. The two Canon XL cameras, you are going to need a analog to HDMI converter to get a HDMI signal and a up/down/cross converter to up scale the Canon XL SD signal to HD, a 720p signal is minimum signal resolution.

BMD replied in another thread about using an iPhone with the ATEM Mini:
The iPhone will easily work on the ATEM Mini (both) using the lightening to HDMI adapter. Since I do this often in testing, you should know you will not get a full screen output of the iPhone camera live. There are some apps that get close but we have not found any that do not crop the image in some way. Other than that, it works quite easily. Stay safe.
Regards, Gary

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

edgarthall

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:57 am

Denny
Thanks for your help. Will I need to buy 2 up/down/cross converters: one for my Canon GL1 and one for my Canon XL1 camera. I noticed that BMD has a converter that I can buy. Would you consider that brand and model a good buy to use with old Canon GL1 and Canon XL1 camera’s.
Also will the video look like the high quality video I get when I use my Canon EOS Rebel T6i camera or will the video look grainy.

Again that’s for your help.
Tim

mikecmims

PostSun Sep 20, 2020 4:14 am

Hello, I just bought the ATEM Mini and am trying to use my Canon XL1 cameras to broadcast live on Facebook. I purchased the Analog to hdmi converter and the Blackmagic updowncross hd converter and I do not get any video. I used every setup on the cross hd to upgrade the signal from the camera to the Mini, but nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need another part or something? My setup is as follows:

Analog cables from XL1 to analog converter
HDMI out of converter to HDMI in cross hd converter
Hdmi out of cross converter to port 1 of Mini Switcher

No signal...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

edgarthall

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Mike,

I bought an ATEM Mini Pro. At the time I also bought the black magic up/down converter. I could not get it to work with my Canon XL1. I also bought an RCA to HDMI that Converts-Analog Composite Input To HDMI 1080p (60HZ Output RCA To HDMI Converter). I removed the black magic up/down converter from the loop and was able to get my ATEM Mini Pro to recognize my Canon XL1 camera using only the RCA to HDMI converter.

Good luck.

Tim
Attachments
rca-hdmi-converter.jpg
RCA-to-HDMI Converter
rca-hdmi-converter.jpg (732.45 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

Return to Live Production