Green Tallys from Videohub

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Duncan Stewart

Green Tallys from Videohub

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 8:04 am

Hello,
I'm wondering if it's possible to use the GPI/Tally interface to generate green tally information with compact Videohub. So ideally I want to set 8 destinations as record machines and set 8 sources that will receive a green tally if they are routed to those destinations.
Can the GPI/Tally interface accept the logic of 8 sources and 8 destinations? It's very poorly documented.
Thanks!

Duncan Stewart

Re: Green Tallys from Videohub

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Okay, so given no reponse I bought one of these.
the bottom line is, No - it can't.... It will only tally one destination to each source.
Can I make a feature request? It would be amazing if you could add up to 8 destinations per GPO tally.
It would also mean I haven't wasted several hundred quid putting it together.

Fingers crossed then. Thanks

Hersh Burston

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 6:45 am

The GPI and Tally Interface has 8 independent contact closure outputs to provide tally output when the source to destination criteria is met.

GPI & Tally Screen Grab.tiff
GPI & Tally Screen Grab.tiff (480.97 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

In this example if input 8 is sent to output 1, GPO 1 will create a contact closure, if input 7 is sent to output 2, GPO 2 will create a contact closure and so on for all 8 GPOs.

If you want any of the 8 sources routed to any of the 8 destinations to provide a tally, 64 GPOs are needed. Unfortunately if this is the case you will need 8 GPI and Tally Interface units.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

tedkazm

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 am

It is my understanding on the GPI/TALLY INTERFACE BOX that tally output 1 to 4 can only be used with an HDMI camera at the ATEM and tally output 5 to 8 can only be used with an SDI camera.

????
TEDKAZM
tedkazm@tally-lights.com
www.tally-lights.com

Hersh Burston

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 2:31 am

Hi Ted,

This is true when connected to an ATEM Production Switcher 4K but the GPI and Tally Interface can also be connected to our range of Videohubs to provide contact closure input for switching and contact closure output to drive a tally.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

tedkazm

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 4:24 pm

But you still need the GPI/TALLY INTERFACE BOX

You are just adding another piece of equipment.

Why can't they make a tally box that doesn't care what kind of camera you are using.

most other switchers don't care.
TEDKAZM
tedkazm@tally-lights.com
www.tally-lights.com

Duncan Stewart

PostSun Sep 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Hersh Burston wrote:If you want any of the 8 sources routed to any of the 8 destinations to provide a tally, 64 GPOs are needed. Unfortunately if this is the case you will need 8 GPI and Tally Interface units.

Well, as it stand this is true - but incredibily backwards.
If recording sources via a router and providing a tally to those sources an "any 8 defined sources" and "any 8 defined destinations" would be a useful and seeming simple thing to implement.
Otherwise, its just something that makes Blackmagic lacking functionality of its competitors

Return to Live Production