Studio Camera Lens Help!?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tsajason

Studio Camera Lens Help!?

PostThu May 07, 2020 4:16 pm

Our church is currently using an older Panasonic AG-HPX370 with the Fujinon 1/3" 17x kit lens. We would like to add a couple more cameras for out live stream. Looking at the BMD Studio Cam HD. Is it possible to adapt that Fujinon lens to the Studio cam? Lens model number is XT17sx4.5BRM-k14. I have tested the Studio Cam 4k with the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 X Power OIS II and it's not bad... but obviously not quite the low light ability as the HPX370. The tech booth is about 75' from the stage.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jason

Denny Smith

Re: Studio Camera Lens Help!?

PostThu May 07, 2020 5:41 pm

No, first of all, the image circle area of coverage on this lens is designed for a sensor 1/3rd the size of the sensor on the BMD Studio Camera (which is 1-inch), so if it were possible to physically mount the lens, you would have a porthole look (black rectangle with image in a small circle in the center. Next, there are no adapters for 1/3rd or even 1/2 lenses to fit a MFT mount camera.

You can adapt some 2/3rds pro ENG zooms, but the adapter costs as much as the BMD Studio Camera. If you need ENG style zooms, which kens themselves to live event coverage, I would suggest looking at rhe BMD Ursa Broadcast, which comes with a 2/3rds B4 lens mount.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

tsajason

PostFri May 08, 2020 2:19 am

Awesome! Thank you!!

I think I know the answer but, would the lens in question work on the URSA broadcast body?

Denny Smith

PostFri May 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Again, no. There are no 1/3 B2/3 to 2/3 B4 adapters, and again, the Ursa Broadcast sensor Is a 1-inch sensor, the csmera’s B4 mount can only expand 1.4x to just get a 2/3rds lens image circle to cover the sensor. You need to abandon those 1/3rd lenses along with their cameras, or just keep using what you have.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production