Capturing a Stream

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ADay

Capturing a Stream

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 11:41 pm

I work for a community access cable channel and we want to start broadcasting sports events live to our channel. The current plan is to stream from an ATEM unit to our editing PC and then use a Decklink card to capture the stream and output it to BNC to broadcast. I'm hoping someone can confirm that a Decklink card, such as the Mini Monitor or SDI, would work for this.

Thanks

Daniel Knoche

Re: Capturing a Stream

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 12:30 am

Sorry by BNC do you mean a BNC lead?

Depending on the ATEM, you have multiple outputs, so you could use 1 for capture to PC and a 2nd to your broadcasting infrastructure.

Yes minimonitor or SDI would work (personally would utilise the SDI connection), you may need to capture using Blackmagic's software and depending what format you want/need will also determine what the capabilities of the PC need to be.
Daniel

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 5:03 am

ADay wrote:I work for a community access cable channel and we want to start broadcasting sports events live to our channel. The current plan is to stream from an ATEM unit to our editing PC and then use a Decklink card to capture the stream and output it to BNC to broadcast. I'm hoping someone can confirm that a Decklink card, such as the Mini Monitor or SDI, would work for this.

Thanks

Just checking I have this fully understood. It might just be a matter of "terminology".

Stream is usually used these days to mean Stream to the web (e.g. Livestream /Ustream... any other type of stream).

I think when you use the term Stream you are really just saying input/output a video signal.

The output from the ATEM TVS will be either HDMI and/or HD-SDI or SD-SDI or in the case of the ATEM 1ME or 2ME - you also get simultaneous SD-SDI and Component and SD Composite (BNC) output

Now... as for "Capture" yes a decklink card will work great for that - just be aware of the data needs relevant to the video format you will be capturing in and make sure your hard drive/system is capable.

But it's not clear to me what you mean by "capture and stream the output to BNC to broadcast".

BNC is merely a connector type. The video standard used could be SD Composite, SD-SDI or HD-SDI - as all of them us a BNC type connector.

What video format do you need to broadcast?

The Decklink card could likely be used to connect to that BNC "for broadcast"... but the ATEM may be able to directly connect to your broadcast system depending on the format used.

Just a general comment/recommendation I think you would likely be better off at a minimum with the ATEM 1ME for the additional output formats and additional keying/DVE capabilities that the TVS does not have.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Thomas Beck

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 2:10 pm

I operate a small access channel. We use the atem one in the studio for government meetings. We need its composite output for broadcast over the cable system. We also have a tvs. I recently was able to stream from the tvs to ustream using mxlight. Then back in the studio i was able to display the stream fullscreen on a laptop output it through the atem 1 and broadcast on cable. poor mans live truck. Is that what you are trying to do.

Return to Live Production