Streaming with intensity?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

christian.himmelstrand

Streaming with intensity?

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm new to this.
How does this works in general terms?
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/communi ... ryId=42946

I guess it is a:

Camera
Mic
Computer with intensity pro
a server?
Good broadband?

How do you send the audio and video together and transmit it on-line?

is there other gears that is needed for e-lerarning class?

What broadband speed is required?

Liam Kennedy

Re: Streaming with intensity?

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 10:55 pm

For basic information on this whole area this will give you some helpful pointers.
https://ustream.zendesk.com/entries/215 ... on-Ustream

http://store.livestream.com/pages/lives ... -video-101

http://help.livestream.com/customer/por ... -switchers

Christian H wrote:Camera
YES
Mic
YES
Computer with intensity pro
YES - or any other capture device from Blackmagic
a server?
NO - at least not a server on your side of things. You STREAM via a content delivery network. E.g. Livestream.com, UStream.com or any other provider that works for you.
Good broadband?
Yes. Bandwidth on your side needs to be sufficient to send out whatever is appropriate. An HD quality stream via Livestream.com needs about 2.5Mbps (uplink speed).
How do you send the audio and video together and transmit it on-line?

You will need software to actually take the video+audio from the Intensity Pro and encode that + stream it to your content delivery network. Some of them have their own software (free) to allow you to do that.

You could also use Flash Media Live Encoder (free) or Wirecast or XSplit or etc etc (lots of ways to do this).
is there other gears that is needed for e-lerarning class?

Probably. You want some way to switch between the camera and other content (such as a powerpoint / video etc etc). Lots of ways to do that. Depending on how you are streaming - Livestream.com allows you to capture the screen of a laptop/computer on the LAN and switch between the camera and that device. Otherwise you could use an ATEM TVS, connect your computer + camaeras up to that and do a "hardware switch"
What broadband speed is required?

Answered above. But.. it will depend on whatever streaming provider you will be using... and the quality you want to stream at.

You are welcome
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

christian.himmelstrand

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 6:48 am

Thank you very much! :)
You have given me a nice list of things to study and explore.

christian.himmelstrand

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 6:13 pm

I have watched this tutorial from Ustream where they present the gears they use.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29456455

The have an BMD Intensity Extreme to capture their HDV cam, and a Tricaster box with included software switcher.

But I get two questions from viewing that tutorial.

1. Why use an Intensity module, can't the camera be connected directly to the Tricaster?

2. Why not use a BMD ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel instead of a Tricaster? Can't it do just the same at the same price, but with real buttons and sliders?

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 6:25 pm

If you have a Tricaster you would use that. If you have an ATEM you would use that. That is what you connect the cameras up to.

However the Tricaster also does (some) encoding. It can definitely handle streaming via Ustream and you would not require anything else.

I personally prefer to use the ATEM and use other gear to handle the encoding / streaming. When you are streaming multiple bit rates to different providers the Tricaster cannot handle that as well.

christian.himmelstrand

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 6:49 pm

If I where to use ATEM Television Studio with real time H.264 encoding, could that work stand alone?
(with the included software control panel)

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Christian H wrote:If I where to use ATEM Television Studio with real time H.264 encoding, could that work stand alone?
(with the included software control panel)

Not completely by itself. You would need a computer (Windows PC ONLY!!) and then use a piece of inexpensive software called MXLight (google it). MXLight is the encoder software that can use the H.264 stream from the TVS's USB2 port and stream/encode that to whatever service you are using.

christian.himmelstrand

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 9:49 pm

You would need a computer (Windows PC ONLY!!)

Excellent! since I'm Mac intolerant :lol:

Is it possible to use animated lower thirds in the ATEM Television Studio software or only still jpeg?

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Christian H wrote:Is it possible to use animated lower thirds in the ATEM Television Studio software or only still jpeg?

It's not practical to do animated lower thirds with ANY of the ATEM's (even those that support video clips in the Media Player as the number of frames supported is so short).

If users have a need for animated lower thirds they would typically do that using a specialized graphic/video playout system. You can get away with using a single input and use the Luma key to key out the black (or other color) from the video... or you can use a more specialized playback system that outputs the "fill" on one input to the TVS and the Key to another.

aleks_c

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 4:37 am

Liam Kennedy wrote:or you can use a more specialized playback system that outputs the "fill" on one input to the TVS and the Key to another.

Hi Liam... I'm very interested in finding out how to use this ATEM feature where you feed a separate key and fill to two inputs. I'm using a demo version of the Propresenter (with Alpha keyer module) with a Decklink Extreme to do this, and I can clearly see the key on one camera input and the fill on another camera input via the multiviewer. However, I don't know how to invoke the proper commands on the switcher to composite the resulting key+fill image to a background (another camera input source). I was hoping you could teach me to do this or point me to a tutorial and take it from there.

Thanks in advance...

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 5:12 am

don't have time to take you through the steps right now (ultra busy on job) Just read from page 82 of the ATEM manual - that's the start of the section on keying.

nhtech

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi Liam... I'm very interested in finding out how to use this ATEM feature where you feed a separate key and fill to two inputs. I'm using a demo version of the Propresenter (with Alpha keyer module) with a Decklink Extreme to do this, and I can clearly see the key on one camera input and the fill on another camera input via the multiviewer. However, I don't know how to invoke the proper commands on the switcher to composite the resulting key+fill image to a background (another camera input source). I was hoping you could teach me to do this or point me to a tutorial and take it from there.

This might help, however, if you use an ATEM TV you will be left with only 4 other inputs. Our setup uses an ATEM 2/ME and inputs 15 is cut and input 16 is fill from ProPresenter 5 with alpha keyed/sdi output module and a Blackmagic ultra studio 3d. One output of the Ultra studio 3d is routed to input 15 and a second is routed to input 16. Propresenter will give you settings on the advanced tab for the SDI output activation and the Alpha Keyer, you can adjust the sensitivity for the key there. On your ATEM TV go to the side bar on the software control and click any of the keyers, select the source input you have connected for cut probably 5, and then select the fill source input, probably 6, you can adjust the clip/gain settings there also. Make sure you're sending white on black text for this to work correctly.

Hope this helps. I'm not sure if it will work identically with the decklink, however as long as it can send duplicate SDI outputs then you should have no problem.

Also, if you're careful to activate keys on and off, you could use the fill input as a source for graphics/playbacks from the pro presenter 5 computer at the same time. But if you forget to turn the key off and you play a video you might have some unwanted output results.
ATEM2 Switcher
ATEM2 Panel
ATEM Tally
SmartView
Smartscope Duo
ATEM TV
Hyperdeck Studio Pro
Intensity Extreme
Ultradeck Studio Thunderbolt
Ultradeck 3d
Broadcast Router
Video Hub Master Control