Will ATEM Mini Pro ever support Alt Mode (USB-C to HDMI)?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ABHA79

Will ATEM Mini Pro ever support Alt Mode (USB-C to HDMI)?

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 5:16 am

As the question states, will ATEM Mini Pro ever allow users to connect a USB-C to HDMI adapter (DP alt mode) so users can use the USB-C port as an additional output? Or will they ever allow multiview to be shown through the USB-C output? Or do they prevent that because it would eat into sales of their larger switchers that have multiple outputs like most switchers do?

Some people thought they'd never implement audio delay feature, but they did. I'm about to return my new AMP which, other than only having a single hdmi output, is an awesome switcher.

Denny Smith

Re: Will ATEM Mini Pro ever support Alt Mode (USB-C to HDMI)

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 5:50 am

As far as I know, the outputs are fixed. The USB is a 1080p MP4 video output for WebCam use, and the HDMI is a full resolution output. BMD does not discuss future releases until they are released. If you need additional outputs, perhaps the ATEM HD might be a better option for you. The Mini was designed with live streaming as its application, not general production switching.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ABHA79

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 6:59 am

Denny Smith wrote:As far as I know, the outputs are fixed. The USB is a 1080p MP4 video output for WebCam use, and the HDMI is a full resolution output. BMD does not discuss future releases until they are released. If you need additional outputs, perhaps the ATEM HD might be a better option for you. The Mini was designed with live streaming as its application, not general production switching.
Cheers

Yes, they are fixed... right now. I do use it for live streaming, but sometimes we need to use a Teradek bonded device to live stream in areas where network connections are more challenging, and it would be nice to send the program feed to that device and still see the multiview somehow.

Denny Smith

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Yes, it would. So as this point, you need to give up,the multi-view and use the HDMI out formtgenProgram feed. In the days before Multi-view we had cameras routed through small camera monitors, to see the camera feed status and the switcher only had a preview/program out, plus the main outputs to feed the program out. You could use some small 5-inch LCD HDMI Monitors that have an HDMI in/Out loop through.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Defnas

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 11:39 am

ABHA79 wrote:
Denny Smith wrote: The Mini was designed with live streaming as its application, not general production switching.
Cheers

Yes, they are fixed... right now. I do use it for live streaming, but sometimes we need to use a Teradek bonded device to live stream in areas where network connections are more challenging, and it would be nice to send the program feed to that device and still see the multiview somehow.

I'm in the same position, I'm streaming from very rural locations and need the bonded cellular encoding to be able to get a stream out. The AMP would be ideal if it had that second HDMI output. The TVS has benefits for us, in that we could just use SDI through out and get IFB as well, but as I'm expecting low stream strength at some locations, scaling will be an issue and my budget is very limited (ticket sales and sponsorship levels hit by Covid-19, so I'm only got small cash reserves to draw on to add live streaming to our existing video set up for closed door fixtures).

I saw someone on the Atem Facebook group had linked an AM and a AMP and ended up with two multiview outputs, I thought it would just allow control surface controls. I don't know how they did that, but that might be a possibility for us, otherwise I think we're looking at going direct from the cameras to cloud production via the Liveu encoders.

Perhaps there will be an AMP Pro version with two HDMI outputs before I need to purchase the kit. :-)

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 pm

i think he used that new Lilliput HDMI screen with 4 HMDI in and loop outputs. Giving him a preview of each input without using the AMP MV. Anyway if you need MV and PGM output you should always look at the TVS HD or bigger. This small Atem is just not designed for this kind of productions.

And that USB-C connection does not Support not will it support in the future to run a USB-C to HDMI dongle. It simply is a completely different protocol to support that. They now just implemented USB-C to stream compressed video data as a webcam or offload data to a drive as storage.. Totally different way data as pixel data to support a screen. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Fornez

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 5:43 pm

You can use OBS to capture the webcam and then output it in projector mode through an HMDI output

ABHA79

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Or even better...

Allow the USB-C port to show multiviewer leaving the higher quality HDMI out for the program.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 8:32 pm

Agin, the USB output is compressed MJpeg, not directly viewable on a HDMI monitor.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frank Engel

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 10:38 am

Fornez wrote:You can use OBS to capture the webcam and then output it in projector mode through an HMDI output

This introduces a non-trivial delay which could be problematic in a live setting.

Fornez

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 9:10 pm

Frank Engel wrote:
Fornez wrote:You can use OBS to capture the webcam and then output it in projector mode through an HMDI output

This introduces a non-trivial delay which could be problematic in a live setting.

we had a 100 milisecond delay to our lobby on Sunday using this method. But the video sources have a crazy amount of adapters and extenders in between them. I definitely wouldn't do this for live IMAG but for sending video throughout your room it works perfect!

Return to Live Production