ATEM Mini Pro Freeze Frames

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

cendrick

ATEM Mini Pro Freeze Frames

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm beginning a new post regarding issues with freeze frames which could be called dropped frames.

We are seeing an actual freeze frame which holds for a few frames before clearing up.
This is happening every 2-7 seconds.

A major revelation is that this is not happening with the HDMI output where you can see any camera or Multiview. This output is totally smooth which is also interesting.

As a test of a bad internet connection we have a SSD drive connected to the USB port and the stuttering is present on that file which helps us to diagnose that it has to be something with the ATEM Mini Pro that is causing the issue and not internet related.

We thought, as other have mentioned, that the camera frame rates were the reason for the stuttering, laggy video, or freezes. We are not seeing any of this affect this issue. We tried several cams at different frame rates with no noticeable change in the freezes. We do have a BMPCC 4K and set it to 30 fps and also 60 fps with no change as well.

Has anyone seen this issue at all? I've posted a link below showing a iPhone video of what I'm seeing on my end. the left side shows the Program out feed of the ATEM and the right side shows the live stream. Again, the SSD video files shows the exact same freezing as the live stream so that eliminates the internet as the culprit.

https://vimeo.com/429719166/db497c0c8f

Is anyone else seeing this?

Denny Smith

Re: ATEM Mini Pro Freeze Frames

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Which SSD drive are you using. Your test method is based on a premise that the ssd drive will not drop frames while recording. Very few SSD droves are capable of continuous video recording. If the SSD drive you are using is dropping frames, your test is invalid, and is not reflecting what the usb out is doing. A better test, would be to use a program like OBS to view the output signal quality on a computer.

For a SSD drive, check the Pocket Camera 4K SSD drive recommended list to find a drive that should work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

cendrick

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Which SSD drive are you using. Your test method is based on a premise that the ssd drive will not drop frames while recording. Very few SSD droves are capable of continuous video recording. If the SSD drive you are using is dropping frames, your test is invalid, and is not reflecting what the usb out is doing. A better test, would be to use a program like OBS to view the output signal quality on a computer.

For a SSD drive, check the Pocket Camera 4K SSD drive recommended list to find a drive that should work.
Cheers

The test you see in the video I posted is not from a SSD drive but an actual live stream. The SSD video file reflects the same freeze frames as the Live Stream.

cendrick

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 6:36 pm

UPDATE:
I just spoke to BlackMagic Support and this is a known issue on the ATEM Mini and Mini Pro.
They told me that they are working on a fix but the time for this fix in unknown at this time :cry:

I'll update if I hear any more updates.

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Thanks for the update. So is the issue with the SSD drive cinnected via thenUSB, or is the USB signal unstable?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

cendrick

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 12:55 am

Update:

When I spoke to Blackmagic today they confirmed they were aware of some freeze frame issues coming out of the ATEM via the ethernet and usb-c ports.
The issue I was seeing earlier today and as shown in my video sample is much more extreme than maybe what Blackmagic engineers are currently working on.
My examples I shared today of the freeze frames have been the result of the display I was using to show my ATEM output via live stream. I was using this same computer/monitor to play the video from my usb-c drive which explains the freezes I was seeing from that drive.
After a computer reboot, the outputs from the ATEM now seem pretty smooth to me with minimal freezes as I had before. I do still see a few here and there but nothing like my sample shown earlier.

I apologize to Blackmagic for calling them out on this issue today, which now to me is a non-issue.

I do love this product and now even more than this morning.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 3:03 am

Thanks for the clarification on this. You had me wondering what was going on.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

igor vuk

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 am

i have the same issue. but issues presist even on hdmi out. freezing frames of dropped frames. issue comes from atem, not cameras. i have 3 exact sony a6000 cameras, set to same settings, same firmware, same cables.

my setup is 3x sony a6000 - atem mini - hdmi out - camlink 4k - laptop (i7 9750H + gtx 1650 + 16gb + m2.ssd so no isses with the hardware)

when i set cameras to 60fps, sutters become rare but stil noticable atem is also set to 60fps. i've tried different frame rates and settings, same thing, stutters .

connecting sony a6000 to camlink 4k causes no stutters, even on 24fps

i've tried all of the settings, in obs, camlink, atem, to no avail.

this is really frustrating. only thing that "helps" is recording in 60fps and then re-rendering it in 30fps. still some small stutters remain

Return to Live Production