Tally with ATEM TV Studio Pro HD and Pocket Cinema Camera

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jimmy28

Tally with ATEM TV Studio Pro HD and Pocket Cinema Camera

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 7:47 pm

Hey, would anyone happen to know the timeframe (or if ever) for an update to make tally work on the Pocket Cinema cameras when they are hooked to an ATEM TVS Pro HD via HDMI? I see where the "Studio" mode with tally works with the ATEM Mini's over HDMI, but can't find anything on it working with the TVS Pro. We'd love to at least have the rear tally on the LCD monitor (church setting, 2 cameras, 1 camera man).

Thanks!

MitchellNeth

Re: Tally with ATEM TV Studio Pro HD and Pocket Cinema Camer

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 2:49 am

This is a great question. One I'm hoping the aussies will give us a more direct yes or no on. If it's a hardware build thing that was specially built into the mini/pro hardware, then odds are this was not planned into the switchers (namely the tv studios which have hdmi) upon design and development. However if it was a software thing and all necessary pins in the hdmi connectors think and act the same in both the older hardware and the newer ones, BMD may be able to make this work.

The Mini Pro & PCC4K feature combo is very powerful subsection of an ecosystem I hope BMD plans to grow.
Mitchell Neth
Broadcast Engineer - Life.Church
Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Tally with ATEM TV Studio Pro HD and Pocket Cinema Camer

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 9:22 am

Blackmagic rarely comments on upcoming features, products, or firmware releases so I wouldn't be too surprised if we never get a definitive response about plans for HDMI camera control for the other ATEM switchers.

Having said that, since it seems that HDMI CEC commands are being used for the camera control operations, and that CEC was included in version 1.0 of the HDMI specification, I would expect that most HDMI chipsets (including those in the ATEM Television Studio and other models) are likely capable of sending these commands. So from a technical standpoint, I think that there's a decent chance that this support could be added via a firmware update.

Now whether this actually does make it into updated firmware and how long it might take is harder to predict.

Return to Live Production