2 M/E Switcher. Hardware versions, 1 M/E Panel and advice

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Malcolm Garrett

2 M/E Switcher. Hardware versions, 1 M/E Panel and advice

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 12:37 am

Hi All,

Couple of questions if anyone can help for a New 1.7K seat Auditorium setup.

1. I have seen a couple of websites showing an ATEM 2 M/E Production Switcher with 4xHDMI inputs and 12xSDI unstead of the 1xHDMI and 16xSDI. Does this product exsist? Is it an older version and will it be missing any function and future compatibility? How could you order this model specifically? http://www.avtechvideo.com.au/popup_image.php?pID=65&image=2

2. What are the disadvantages of using the ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel with the ATEM 2 M/E Production Switcher? Can it be done? Do you only loose access to 8 channels? (we are wanting to be able to do SuperSource Multi-layering which I think only works on the 2 M/E Switcher but really only need 6 or so inputs.)

3. A couple of websites have a bundle that looks like a ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Panel and a ATEM 2 M/E Production Switcher for less then $6000. Can this be true or is it a case of the picture may appear larger then real life?
http://www.new-media.com.au/BlackMagic-Atem-2-M-E-Production-Switcher-and-Panel-Bundle.html

4. Where and who would you recommend to assist with a video system installation of this size.

Thanks, And you help is greatly appreciated.

Malcolm

Brian Scheffler

Re: 2 M/E Switcher. Hardware versions, 1 M/E Panel and advic

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 3:04 am

Hi Malcolm,

I'd be glad to assist but I think we're on opposite sides of the globe! We're an Value Added Reseller in the U.S. for Blackmagic Design.

But to answer some of your questions:

1) The only ATEM 2 M/E available for purchase has only 1 HDMI and 16 SDI inputs. The ATEM 2 was originally going to have 4 HDMI inputs, but I believe you're just looking at an older diagram.

2) The main disadvantage of using the ATEM 1 Panel with the ATEM 2 Switcher is that you don't have access to both M/E banks simutaneously. The ATEM 1 Panel has all the provisions for you to accomplish most (if not all) tasks of the ATEM 2 Switcher. You can switch back and forth with controlling M/E 1 and 2. You can also access all 16 inputs and re-arrange the buttons to meet your needs. The SuperSource is also easily accessible on the ATEM 1 Panel.

3) I don't think the bundle you linked to actually includes the ATEM 2 Panel. That website lists the ATEM 2 Switcher by itself for $4935, so I think there is something strange about that bundle price.

Brian
Brian Scheffler
ScheffTech Productions, LLC
brian[AT]schefftech.com (309) 524-5865
Blackmagic Design Authorized Dealer

Steve Parmenter

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 10:26 am

They are refereeing to the software panel. It's a bit naughty as you could be lead to believe you were getting the hardware panel, if you didn't read the page properly.

Malcolm Garrett

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks For the info.

I think we will be going with the 2 M/E. Gives us the greatest flexibility. Just have to spend a bit more on HDMI to SDI converters.

Return to Live Production