Atem Mini Standby Mode

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

raschild

Atem Mini Standby Mode

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 7:19 pm

Does the ATEM Mini have a standby mode for when it is not in use? We stream a single service and outside of that, the only other time it needs to be on is for rehearsal. As far as I can tell, it will just stay powered on indefinitely unless unplugged. If there is such a mode, how do I enter it? If not, is there a recommendation as to whether it is better to leave it powered on or to manually kill the power?

Thanks.

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Atem Mini Standby Mode

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 10:43 pm

There is no standby mode that I am aware of on any of the ATEM models. You can unplug the unit if you want to turn it off.

In terms of whether to leave it running or power it off, that's kind of your call, as there are multiple schools of thought about which is better for the overall lifetime of the components. Certainly from a energy usage standpoint powering down is the way to go.

For the full sized rack mount ATEM models, there are certainly some people that have left them running 24/7 in a studio type environment. I'm not sure whether the ATEM Mini models have the same kind of thermal design as the rack mount models though. And the ATEM Minis are all still too new to have any kind of long term (multi-year) field reports as to how they hold up over time.

Return to Live Production