Hardware to live stream from 1M/E Production Studio 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

thusianzosan

Hardware to live stream from 1M/E Production Studio 4K

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 am

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, so I appreciate any direction on how to find the answer - other than "use the search box", which I have tried.

I have three Pocket Cinema 4k cameras going to my ATEM 1M/E Production Studio 4k switcher. The video studio was set up for recording, not for live streams. But, alas, the needs have changed!

What additional equipment is necessary to get the output feed to a computer with OBS or other (recommendations?) software to then stream to Facebook or YouTube?

Thank you!

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Hardware to live stream from 1M/E Production Studio 4K

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 10:12 pm

If you want to stream via software on a computer (such as OBS Studio) then you need a video capture device to get the video signal into the computer.

This could be an internal DeckLink capture card, an external UltraStudio capture device over Thunderbolt, or a USB webcam-style capture device such as the Blackmagic Web Presenter or ATEM Mini. There are also a variety of USB video capture devices available from other manufacturers as well.

A second option is to look at a dedicated hardware streaming encoder, such as those from Teradek, AJA, Matrox, LiveU, and others. These tend to be a bit more expensive, but some find them more reliable than a software-based solution, and they reduce the need for a more powerful computer to do the H.264 encoding.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 4:25 am

you could also plug in an atem mini pro on the output of your switcher

Andrew Martin

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Try and get a BMD webpresenter it will natively ingest your 4k workflow and scale it to give a 720 HD image which will be handed of via USB and seen by a PC as a simple web cam feed which you could use with almost any streaming software. Just make sure its firmware is up to date, earlier attempts made it janky and near useless.

The other option (my pref.) is a dedicated hardware streaming encoder that will deliver directly to the web connected over a wired ethernet connection. The one thing though, if your running 4k thats a lot of data to push to an endpoint over the web. maybe consider down scaling to 1080 HD before feeding into the encoder.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to Live Production