ADD A PRERECORDED VIDEO FOOTAGE TO ATEM MINI PRO WORKFLOW

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Francesco Bollorino

ADD A PRERECORDED VIDEO FOOTAGE TO ATEM MINI PRO WORKFLOW

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 6:20 am

It's unclear to me if it is possible to add a prerecorded video footage to the Atem Mini Pro workflow in order to make an opening prerecorded video for the streaming as well as an ending video...
In the user manual there is no trace of such an option they speak only of graphics to be added not of video footages
Of course it is possible to make this adding OBS or vMix to the workflow using them as streaming output (but in this way losing Single Click DaVinci Resolve Edit Timeline with ATEM MINI PRO ISO) and adding ATEM MINI as source BUT it'd be more simple to avoid this and be allowed to use ONLY Atem mini + ATEM Software control to make both streaming or recorded multicamera footages....

Perhaps I have also thought on the possibility to save these opening or ending videos in DNG format as it is a sequence of JPG images.. but again NO INDICATION AT ALL in the the user manual

So I do think that this usefull feature is not included in the actual workflow even if it is possible to hope in a new upgrade of CONTROL SOFTWARE as the possibility to use prerecorded videos during a streaming presentation is not such a strange thing to need not to be surely possible.....

Let me know
THANK YOU A LOT!!!
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

Andrew Martin

Re: ADD A PRERECORDED VIDEO FOOTAGE TO ATEM MINI PRO WORKFLO

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:20 am

Depending on the atem you have, you can run video but not in the true sense. You load a series of frames and it becomes a stop motion type setup. The no of frames is limited depending on the model. And the mini doesnt offer that solution and its also not really a video solution for the atems in the middle price brackets either. Its intended for stinger and very basic animated lwr3rds.

Youll need an external video playout solution. BMDs solution to that is the hyperdeck.
Create your videos, load them as clips into the hyperdeck. the hyperdeck connects to the atem as part of your ip network for control so you can select the clip needed and when you cut to that source the clip starts to play.

There are several pc playout solutions but casper CG seems to be a standard solution.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:Depending on the atem you have, you can run video but not in the true sense. You load a series of frames and it becomes a stop motion type setup. The no of frames is limited depending on the model. And the mini doesnt offer that solution and its also not really a video solution for the atems in the middle price brackets either. Its intended for stinger and very basic animated lwr3rds.

Youll need an external video playout solution. BMDs solution to that is the hyperdeck.
Create your videos, load them as clips into the hyperdeck. the hyperdeck connects to the atem as part of your ip network for control so you can select the clip needed and when you cut to that source the clip starts to play.

There are several pc playout solutions but casper CG seems to be a standard solution.

Andrew can you explain better?
It's evident that the solution of a sort of stop motion is not what I mean but the eventual insert of hyperdesk it is not clear at all to me... as well as Casper CG if you can help me to understand better most of all the workflow in order to add a finished video (with audio) to a streaming workflow with ATEM MINI PRO ISO as central unit even using Caspar CG a software a really dont know
THANK YOU
Last edited by Francesco Bollorino on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco Bollorino

Marc Salvatore

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 2:52 pm

You’ve got a few options but no the Atem Mini can not play back your video clips directly from the software.

1. Buy a hyper deck unit which is expensive but has the advantage of immediate playback upon switching to the input that the hyper deck is feeding. This is setup in the software and there are YouTube videos showing how to do it. Hyper deck is sold by Blackmagic Design.
2. Use a computer or some type of video playback device that can feed one of the hdmi inputs with your video source playback unit. I use my Atomos monitor recorder to play back videos I load onto the monitor drive.

Either way you will have to feed one of the atem hdmi inputs with your video source.
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 / i7-5820K / 64gb ram / NVidea 2070 Super / Windows 10 / Resolve Studio / Speed Editor

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 4:29 pm

Marc Salvatore wrote:You’ve got a few options but no the Atem Mini can not play back your video clips directly from the software.

1. Buy a hyper deck unit which is expensive but has the advantage of immediate playback upon switching to the input that the hyper deck is feeding. This is setup in the software and there are YouTube videos showing how to do it. Hyper deck is sold by Blackmagic Design.
2. Use a computer or some type of video playback device that can feed one of the hdmi inputs with your video source playback unit. I use my Atomos monitor recorder to play back videos I load onto the monitor drive.

Either way you will have to feed one of the atem hdmi inputs with your video source.

OK I have more or less understood: a) ATEM MINI PRO cant manage a video prerecorded as it manages graphics b) Using Hyperdeck If I have understood I have to save my footages on an SD Card , put it in the hyperdesck and connect it to the ATEM MINI PRO with its hdmi output right?
BUT I'm looking for something less expensive then a 900€ box with an SD CARD reader and an HDMI output (as my use is more or less this). Is it possible to find a simpler and cheaper solution? Is it possible to find an app or software which could make the same of Hyperdeck?
LET ME KNOW I do think that this feature can be usefull to many ( consider the possibility to run an opening video with titles and music before to go to the streaming
Francesco Bollorino

Andrew Martin

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 11:08 am

Intended to work with the same atem control for the hyperdeck, but running on a raspberry pi single board computer.

Search: github PlayoutBee_Omx

The other option is a pc with HDMI output connected as a source to the atem, using quicktime or VLC fullscreen, but that will not have an ability to trigger playback automagically, that will be a manual process where youll need to time it to hit play as you cut that source.

Marc Salvatore

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Francesco, I think the best way to think about it is that most devices that can output an HDMI video should theoretically work. So for example if you search on Amazon for "digital media player" you'll find a number of inexpensive solutions that should accomplish what you are trying to do.

Regards, Marc
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 / i7-5820K / 64gb ram / NVidea 2070 Super / Windows 10 / Resolve Studio / Speed Editor

Francesco Bollorino

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 8:16 am

Marc Salvatore wrote:Francesco, I think the best way to think about it is that most devices that can output an HDMI video should theoretically work. So for example if you search on Amazon for "digital media player" you'll find a number of inexpensive solutions that should accomplish what you are trying to do.

Regards, Marc

Marc I have made a search what I have found are tiny boxes with one SD card reader and an HDMI output the real problem is the way to use this kind of devices in projects where before a multicamera footage managed by the ATEM MINI PRO ISO I'd like to put a simple BUT important footage with the opening credits and by the end a second footage with the credits of closure.
I KNOW: I can get the whole footage from ATEM PRO ISO and make an editing adding opening and closing footage BUT If i want to do this as streaming it is unpossible and it's a pity.
I know I could use graphics to do this BUT with not the same quality as a proper initial video theme. Tha lack of the possibility to control and manage videofootage with ATEM MINI PRO is matter of thought among BMD engineers I HOPE
Francesco Bollorino

Frank Engel

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 11:56 am

You would select the deck or computer feeding the video the same way you would a camera, so it should work just fine during a stream... or is there a problem that was not made clear in your reply?

Francesco Bollorino

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Frank Engel wrote:You would select the deck or computer feeding the video the same way you would a camera, so it should work just fine during a stream... or is there a problem that was not made clear in your reply?

Frank,
the problem is that I'd, and everyone with the same "problem", need to be able to "controll" the " in and out" of the video (prerecorded) either if I'd like (as I like) to make an opening video for my streamings with titles and partecipants (with music as well) and actually ATEM MINI PRO (or the Controll software) doesnt allow this for video footages as well as if I want to "insert" a prerecorded video inside the multicamera streaming. THIS IS THE PROBLEM
I hope to be clear: I do think that if you have a prerecorded footage on your computer it'd be fine just like graphics to insert it in your workflow adding quality to your streaming.
OK?
Francesco Bollorino

swallow

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 1:21 am

There's a reason why people buy HyperDeck Studio Mini for this at such price.
With it, you can set it so that the clip starts to play as you change the input to HDSM.
Courtesy of being all from same manufacturer.
No other solution offers such automation (at least not that I know of).
You have to do it manually for any other solutions.
I was in need of exact solution and after extensive search, I ended up with HDSM.
Of course, you can use OBS and it can do almost everything you can ask.
Ethan Doh

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 3:40 am

swallow wrote:There's a reason why people buy HyperDeck Studio Mini for this at such price.
With it, you can set it so that the clip starts to play as you change the input to HDSM.
Courtesy of being all from same manufacturer.
No other solution offers such automation (at least not that I know of).
You have to do it manually for any other solutions.
I was in need of exact solution and after extensive search, I ended up with HDSM.
Of course, you can use OBS and it can do almost everything you can ask.

A) It's a pity to be compelled to use HDSM "only" to drive prerecorded and edited footages working on a streaming multicams situation
B) I have seen a little degree of video quality feeding a signal from OBS to streaming
C) audio delay with OBS is a "normal" problem in my tries
Francesco Bollorino

swallow

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 4:51 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:A) It's a pity to be compelled to use HDSM "only" to drive prerecorded and edited footages working on a streaming multicams situation
B) I have seen a little degree of video quality feeding a signal from OBS to streaming

I only mentioned OBS as a possible cheaper alternative.
I am aware of the audio delay.
It wasn’t that bad but noticeable delay means it’s not acceptable for some applications.
As for the quality, have you try to set high bit rate?
Well, audio delay kills the deal anyway.

As for HDSM, it’s very flexible in terms of how it can be used.
With macro, it’s awesome.
As you figure things out, it’s not that expensive.
Well, there isn’t anything that comes even close in that price range.
Of course, if your needs are simple, it seems expensive.
And there are other HW solutions but it’s more expensive than ATEM Mini (Pro) + HDSM.
Ethan Doh

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 5:47 am

swallow wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:A) It's a pity to be compelled to use HDSM "only" to drive prerecorded and edited footages working on a streaming multicams situation

I only mentioned OBS as a possible cheaper alternative.
I am aware of the audio delay.
It wasn’t that bad but noticeable delay means it’s not acceptable for some applications.
As for the quality, have you try to set high bit rate?
Well, audio delay kills the deal anyway.

As for HDSM, it’s very flexible in terms of how it can be used.
With macro, it’s awesome.
As you figure things out, it’s not that expensive.
Well, there isn’t anything that comes even close in that price range.
Of course, if your needs are simple, it seems expensive.
And there are other HW solutions but it’s more expensive than ATEM Mini (Pro) + HDSM.

About OBS I have made a lot of tries but the delay remains and the correction even possible is not that easy.. About HDSM it is not clear to me how to connect to the ATEM in oder to use it as footage "dispenser" I have read to data but it is not clear can you indicate me where to find proof indications?
As I work in scientific field with my streamings and/or multicamera takes I have essentially to needs: a) to be allowend to put a opening begining footage with titles and credits b) add powerpoints to the speeches of partecipants. What I'm looking for it is something simple ane easy to be used for as my contents are really very high but not so my skyllness in using complex enviroments toi reach high quality filnal results
can you or other friends help me to understand of find the right tutorials?
best from Genoia Italy
PS I do think that my needs are really diffuse among scientific communities these panademic times....
PS 2 I do think that "a box" like ATEM MINI PRO ISO with added features (someone feeds via contro,software of course) to solve the indicated problems could be really a killer solution for a lot of people as what I say it is not I THINK only a "problem of mine"........
Francesco Bollorino

Ian Morrish

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 8:19 am

I have configured vlc or obs to play a video when the ATEM input associated with the computer is selected. https://wp.me/p1c1R6-oJ

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 12:41 pm

Ian Morrish wrote:I have configured vlc or obs to play a video when the ATEM input associated with the computer is selected. https://wp.me/p1c1R6-oJ

Great Ian It's not clear to me what to do:
a) How can I configure VLC to become conneceted to ATEM?
b) As I'm not a NERD (and I'm also from MAC ) it's not clear how to use your script (ON A MAC) and how to run it
c) in which way I can connect my MAC to ATEM Perhaps I can use the ethernet port both to recieve the signal and to run the streamings to youtube?
Be claer plaese
Francesco Bollorino

David_Anderson

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Why are you using the MAC to stream when you have AMP?

If I'm understanding correctly you would like to use the same MAC to play out a video that you're streaming with. If that is true this solution won't work for you. I believe Ian's solution requires a dedicated PC/Mac running VLC waiting for commands via TCP/IP to trigger the player.

The 2 best solutions are to:
1. Buy a BMD Hyperdeck Mini. You can load all the pre-recorded content on them and then it becomes an integrated media player in the BM software. You can switch inputs and have it automatically play the selected clip.
2. Use OBS, VMix, Wirecast and load the clip in the software and simply play out from there.

I don't see BM producing an integrated video player (outside of what they already have built into their switchers that allow you to play short clips from the media player) at this point as they can't do it on the lower end of the market at the price point and at the higher end of the market people use Hyperdecks and other players for that purpose.

Hope this helps.

Best,

David

Francesco Bollorino wrote:
Ian Morrish wrote:I have configured vlc or obs to play a video when the ATEM input associated with the computer is selected. https://wp.me/p1c1R6-oJ

Great Ian It's not clear to me what to do:
b) As I'm not a NERD (and I'm also from MAC ) it's not clear how to use your script (ON A MAC) and how to run it
c) in which way I can connect my MAC to ATEM Perhaps I can use the ethernet port both to recieve the signal and to run the streamings to youtube?
Be claer plaese
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 1:43 pm

[quote="David_Anderson"]Why are you using the MAC to stream when you have AMP?

If I'm understanding correctly you would like to use the same MAC to play out a video that you're streaming with. If that is true this solution won't work for you. I believe Ian's solution requires a dedicated PC/Mac running VLC waiting for commands via TCP/IP to trigger the player.

The 2 best solutions are to:
1. Buy a BMD Hyperdeck Mini. You can load all the pre-recorded content on them and then it becomes an integrated media player in the BM software. You can switch inputs and have it automatically play the selected clip.
2. Use OBS, VMix, Wirecast and load the clip in the software and simply play out from there.

I don't see BM producing an integrated video player (outside of what they already have built into their switchers that allow you to play short clips from the media player) at this point as they can't do it on the lower end of the market at the price point and at the higher end of the market people use Hyperdecks and other players for that purpose.

Hope this helps.

Best,

David

Dear David, as I need to record the streaming on SSD I need to use the mac both as software controller of ATEM MINI PRO ISO and as gear connecetd to the net to make streaming. I dont see any other solution for this. It's not clear to me how can I connect in other way the atem to the net in order to make a streaming on my yoyube channel
Francesco Bollorino

roger.magnusson

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 2:16 pm

You can stream directly from the ATEM Mini Pro via Ethernet to predefined streaming services like YouTube and Facebook. You can also add custom streaming services. You don't need to use the USB-C port for streaming.

jonvalt

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Using the registry etc to watch for changes. What a cool hack. Great work. I haven't tested it - my studio rig is MacOS, but it looks very clever.

Kev Hamm

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 5:42 pm

I do this all the time. I build a simple slide show with black slides (or color if you want) in Keynote and load it up on an iPad and connect via HDMI. When you build the slide deck, make sure the videos are full frame, the deck is 16:9, and your videos are 29.97 or 30 fps, and play when the slide is activated. You can just treat is as a source via HDMI on one of the inputs, and you transition to the iPad and back using the ATEM switcher as normal. This is not hard, and it's clean, and you can do AFV to get the audio on and off.

For sanity's sake, I make title slides with what's on the next one, and have those advance with a click/touch. The video I set to play automatically, and the end slide transitions to blank slide, usually black, so that if I screw up my timing it's just a nothing display. And then once the live video is off to a real cam, I advance to the next title slide to know where I am.

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 6:17 pm

Kev Hamm wrote:I do this all the time. I build a simple slide show with black slides (or color if you want) in Keynote and load it up on an iPad and connect via HDMI. When you build the slide deck, make sure the videos are full frame, the deck is 16:9, and your videos are 29.97 or 30 fps, and play when the slide is activated. You can just treat is as a source via HDMI on one of the inputs, and you transition to the iPad and back using the ATEM switcher as normal. This is not hard, and it's clean, and you can do AFV to get the audio on and off.

For sanity's sake, I make title slides with what's on the next one, and have those advance with a click/touch. The video I set to play automatically, and the end slide transitions to blank slide, usually black, so that if I screw up my timing it's just a nothing display. And then once the live video is off to a real cam, I advance to the next title slide to know where I am.

an whats about the use of Intensity shuttle? I have one could it be usefull?
Francesco Bollorino

swallow

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 2:09 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:About OBS I have made a lot of tries but the delay remains and the correction even possible is not that easy.. About HDSM it is not clear to me how to connect to the ATEM in oder to use it as footage "dispenser" I have read to data but it is not clear can you indicate me where to find proof indications?
As I work in scientific field with my streamings and/or multicamera takes I have essentially to needs: a) to be allowend to put a opening begining footage with titles and credits b) add powerpoints to the speeches of partecipants. What I'm looking for it is something simple ane easy to be used for as my contents are really very high but not so my skyllness in using complex enviroments toi reach high quality filnal results
best from Genoia Italy
PS I do think that my needs are really diffuse among scientific communities these panademic times....
PS 2 I do think that "a box" like ATEM MINI PRO ISO with added features (someone feeds via contro,software of course) to solve the indicated problems could be really a killer solution for a lot of people as what I say it is not I THINK only a "problem of mine"........

Basically, you create clips as ProRes format (I use DaVinci Resolve for this).
Then you either save it to SD card and insert that SD card into HDSM or you can FTP into HDSM and transfer the clips (I do FTP).
From ATEM software on your Mac, connect HDSM to ATEM if it's not done already then set HDSM to play clip automatically on input change.
a) So you're talking about playing clip by itself, not credits showing on top of main video, right?
b) PowerPoint? That has nothing to do with HDSM so I'll skip it for now.
As for PS 2, ATEM Mini series already doing a lot of things that are only possible on more expensive units including ones from Blackmagic. Yes, it would be nice to have all those features built into this tiny unit. But we can't always get everything we get.
They do have ATEM units that can play very short video clips from the unit itself but least expensive one starts at US$2,500. And even on those units, it's limited to 24 seconds for 1080p30 clip.

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Great Ian It's not clear to me what to do:
Be claer plaese

a) VLC is not connected to ATEM. Rather his PC is listening to ATEM and when it detects input change to his PC, he tells VLC to play the clip.
b) His script runs on Windows PC only.

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Dear David, as I need to record the streaming on SSD I need to use the mac both as software controller of ATEM MINI PRO ISO and as gear connecetd to the net to make streaming. I dont see any other solution for this. It's not clear to me how can I connect in other way the atem to the net in order to make a streaming on my yoyube channel

So your need is that you be able to stream to YouTube and at the same time save to SSD.
Is you SSD external unit via USB-C?
If so, your ATEM Mini Pro ISO can do all from the unit itself.
You just connect your SSD to USB-C port on AMPI and you press record button to record.

Francesco Bollorino wrote:an whats about the use of Intensity shuttle? I have one could it be usefull?

AFAIK, Intensity Shuttle is only to capture video on your computer (for editing).
Ethan Doh

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 2:20 am

swallow wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:About OBS I have made a lot of tries but the delay remains and the correction even possible is not that easy.. About HDSM it is not clear to me how to connect to the ATEM in oder to use it as footage "dispenser" I have read to data but it is not clear can you indicate me where to find proof indications?
best from Genoia Italy

Basically, you create clips as ProRes format (I use DaVinci Resolve for this).
Then you either save it to SD card and insert that SD card into HDSM or you can FTP into HDSM and transfer the clips (I do FTP).
From ATEM software on your Mac, connect HDSM to ATEM if it's not done already then set HDSM to play clip automatically on input change.
a) So you're talking about playing clip by itself, not credits showing on top of main video, right?
b) PowerPoint? That has nothing to do with HDSM so I'll skip it for now.
As for PS 2, ATEM Mini series already doing a lot of things that are only possible on more expensive units including ones from Blackmagic. Yes, it would be nice to have all those features built into this tiny unit. But we can't always get everything we get.
They do have ATEM units that can play very short video clips from the unit itself but least expensive one starts at US$2,500. And even on those units, it's limited to 24 seconds for 1080p30 clip.

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Great Ian It's not clear to me what to do:
Be claer plaese

a) VLC is not connected to ATEM. Rather his PC is listening to ATEM and when it detects input change to his PC, he tells VLC to play the clip.
b) His script runs on Windows PC only.

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Dear David, as I need to record the streaming on SSD I need to use the mac both as software controller of ATEM MINI PRO ISO and as gear connecetd to the net to make streaming. I dont see any other solution for this. It's not clear to me how can I connect in other way the atem to the net in order to make a streaming on my yoyube channel

So your need is that you be able to stream to YouTube and at the same time save to SSD.
Is you SSD external unit via USB-C?
If so, your ATEM Mini Pro ISO can do all from the unit itself.
You just connect your SSD to USB-C port on AMPI and you press record button to record.

Francesco Bollorino wrote:an whats about the use of Intensity shuttle? I have one could it be usefull?

AFAIK, Intensity Shuttle is only to capture video on your computer (for editing).

Ethan I have only to thank you!!!!!
Francesco Bollorino

hover.live

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 8:44 pm

You could try https://hover.live it will play out video and audio. You can use it for animated lower thirds. Its in beta at the moment but it could solve your workflow.
hover.live

Erik Oslvik

Andrew Martin

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 am

Kev Hamm wrote:I do this all the time. I build a simple slide show with black slides (or color if you want) in Keynote and load it up on an iPad and connect via HDMI. When you build the slide deck, make sure the videos are full frame....

@Kev Hamm i like the idea with your solution. Embedding your clips in PP or keynote. Also like the inclusion of a 'whats next' slide in between the clips. Im going to shamelessly steal your idea when others ask for a simple/cheap playout for Atem mini. For us its a couple hyperdecks, but i do like your reply in such a simple idea.

Return to Live Production