ATEM Mini g1 > YouTube (as Webcam). Really bad audio.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Clinton Vadnais

ATEM Mini g1 > YouTube (as Webcam). Really bad audio.

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 pm

I did search around for a while but wasn't finding this specific discussion. I expect I am blaming YouTube but still wanted to check in with you guys. Long story short I have a Gen 1 ATEM Mini. First experimenting to prepare for upcoming events. I connected an iMac and played back some prerecorded content of mine. It's live music with very good audio. Everything is okay in the ATEM software. Connect to YouTube to test. First test was using ATEM Mini as a Webcam. Not too much in the way of configuration available. The audio was very low bit rate sounding. Definitely unusable. I switch it up and route through OBS and use a stream key. Even setting the audio bitrate to 128-160kbps was night and day better and usable. Is this your experience as well? Is this a limitation to using the device as a "webcam" in YouTube? Does the webcam option for YouTube live only support incredibly low bit rate audio or something? I don't remember my experience with my WebPresenters and this config. I'll have to test at work sometime. What might I be missing? Thanks for all insight and for reading this.

delpabli

Re: ATEM Mini g1 > YouTube (as Webcam). Really bad audio.

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 12:50 pm

The same happens to me. the audio quality is very bad and the video too. the connection I use is by usb. in YouTube settings I select Atem in both options (Audio and Webcam)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Clinton Vadnais

Re: ATEM Mini g1 > YouTube (as Webcam). Really bad audio.

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Thank you Goran. I get expected quality when using a software encoder as well. When connecting directly to YouTube with the Webcam option I am not. I'm hoping to figure out if that's inherent or if I'm doing something wrong. Certainly would be faster and easier to use as a Webcam vs OBS or the like. One thing I'm noticing is the Webcam option is Mono. It might be 128kbps but it sounds like even less than that. I guess it's just not going to be usable for anything more than basic speech.

Return to Live Production