HyperDeck 7.1.1 Update BROKE H.264 Codecs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Lenbanks

HyperDeck 7.1.1 Update BROKE H.264 Codecs

PostFri Aug 21, 2020 5:20 pm

I have contacted support on this, but after the update we could record video on the codec, but audio was somehow affected. No audio played in apps like FCPX, iMovie, or QuickTime. Oddly it did in VLC and I was able to export the audio separately to a WAV file and then match with my video in FCPX. But of course not ideal. Please fix.

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: HyperDeck 7.1.1 Update BROKE H.264 Codecs

PostFri Aug 21, 2020 11:46 pm

What HyperDeck model are you using? Is this a problem with HyperDeck update 7.1.1 specifically or does it also occur with the previous HyperDeck firmware 7.1?

According to the release notes for 7.1.1, the only significant change was "Improves stability for timecode output on the HyperDeck Studio Mini" with no updates for the other HyperDeck models. The earlier HyperDeck 7.1 update did include several changes that affected the audio codecs when recording H.264 video clips on the HyperDeck Mini.

Prior to the 7.1 firmware, H.264 recorded video clips on the HyperDeck Mini used PCM (uncompressed) audio. Starting with HyperDeck 7.1 and later, H.264 video clips default to recording 2-channels of AAC (compressed) audio. If you want to record using PCM (uncompressed) audio, I believe that you may need to change the number of audio channels that are recorded (to more than 2). You should be able to record up to 16 channels of audio in PCM format.

Lenbanks

PostFri Aug 21, 2020 11:50 pm

We are using the Hyperdeck Studio Mini. Honestly I have no idea what the previous version we had installed. We had never done an update from purchase date a few years ago. I realized though the time stamp was wrong and when I went to fix that it did an automatic update. So I am not sure which person made the change to H.264. I also don't see any settings to choose how many channels. I just want to choose a codec and have it work. ;)

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 7:13 pm

The number of audio channels can be configured via the menu on the front panel on the HyperDeck Mini (I don't think this setting can be set via the HyperDeck setup utility software on a computer).

If you want to, you can also revert the firmware back to HyperDeck version 6.0 (which had the original H.264 recording formats with PCM audio only). To do that you'll need to install the older version of the HyperDeck setup utility on a computer and connect to the HyperDeck Mini using USB:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... -recorders

Lenbanks

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 12:15 am

Ok, so here is what I did. I downgraded to 6.0 and it all worked. And then I was wondering about your asking of the audio channels and I thought I should go back to 7.1.1 and try the various H.264 codecs with different audio selections. Perhaps it was only one of them broken. So now I am really flummoxed because EVERYTHING worked just fine. All H.264 levels with at lease both of the 2 challenge audio options.

So maybe a bad install? IDK, but I will take it for now.

So we are recording for our church services and the sound is mixed prior to being recorded. I am doing the video editing on FCPX and do fine on the video side of things and we upload to YouTube with 1080p. But we are not doing any audio editing in FCPX other than boosting volume on individual voice presenters to even them with the band.

With that in mind, which setting do you recommend - both at codec size and number of audio channels.?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Return to Live Production