ATEM Mini Chroma Key issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TerjeNR

ATEM Mini Chroma Key issues

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 11:49 am

Hi all,

I have used the ATEM Mini for a few simple live productions now and I love how simple it is to use. But I have run into a few issues with the chroma key, which is a feature I rely on in my production and was one of the key pun intended) reasons why I bought this exact product.

I have two cameras connected to the ATEM Mini, as well as a third source being a PC. The PC is sending text to the stream which is supposed to be overlayed on top of the camera sources using the chroma key. However the chroma key seems to stop working as soon as the PC only outputs the key and not any text or foreground. So I have to turn off the key on the ATEM before the person controlling the PC output takes away the text, if not the stream output is filled with the large green key color as soon as the text goes away. And this would create a lot of extra work for me/the person controlling the ATEM, because the text is supposed to come on and off constantly.

Hope this all makes sense. But in short: Is it possible to have the green background key be keyed out also when there is nothing in the foreground?

dol_mark

Re: ATEM Mini Chroma Key issues

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Hi TerjeNR

So you have camera video arriving from 1 & 2 and computer attached to 3. You're looking for the text from 3 to be overlaid on top of whatever is currently selected?

TerjeNR

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:22 am

Yes, that's it.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 4:26 pm

As long as the green doesn’t change when the text is off the key should remain. Chroma Key should not Change if the color doesn’t change. Have a look at the image to see if it stays the same. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

dol_mark

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Are you sure that the PC isn't dropping to black in-between titles? If I display a whole screen of green on the laptop it seems to work as expected.

Return to Live Production