Is ATEM mini good enough? Pro/ISO gear lust.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Curtis Campsall

Is ATEM mini good enough? Pro/ISO gear lust.

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 6:23 pm

When the ATEM mini first came out I thought it would be awesome if they just put in multiview. Then the Pro came out, and instead of adding a second hdmi out for the multiview they used the usbc for disk recording, which is fine if you're just recording for later uploads but as others have noticed, if you are doing live work that needs the webcam output as opposed to just streaming you lose the option of disk recording, and if you want a clean recording via another device you lose multiview as well and are left with the functionality of the original mini. Same will be true of the ISO, and seems people are having trouble with the hardware streaming engine.

I will be using primarily for my kids YouTube hobby. Our internet bandwidth is too poor to even consider live streaming, so just streamlining content creation as neither really wants to edit and goes to me. We already have an elgato hd60 for hardware h.264 encoding, so the mini would be used mainly to add a facecam for gaming videos or easy switching 2 or 3 locked off cameras for review type stuff. The Pro has been back ordered pretty much since release and when the ISO announced I thought cool the discreet recording and ready to edit files would be brilliant for program production, but is now 3 times the price of the original, a bit much for my kids hobbies that they need to be prodded to do anyway. I would need to book some Pro work for it to justify the expenditure. A quick survey of the forum indicates that most of the pandemic work for such a device involves needing the webcam usb to interface with zoom or Skype or whatever, losing most of the added functionality of the Pro/ISO models, especially if you want to record a clean output for later use you are left with basically just the original.

In basic locked off Multicam it's probably not that hard to switch blind, just remember what the inputs are and are watching live, not in a separate control room anyway.

The Pro is essentially off the table at this point. The ISO recording of all sources and sync file ready to edit is definitely worth the price over the Pro, but I'm not entirely sure if for my needs the internal recording and multiview is worth the price increase over the original, especially if those features would not be available in potential paid work.

It sucks that they were all out of stock at the beginning of pandemic and through most of the summer. I would have grabbed the original to do stuff with the kids, but now they will be back to school next week and will probably just sit on the shelf for months, or until the next lock down, which I wouldn't be surprised if that hits by winter. New lock down would likely mean stock is hard to get again... to much over thinking.

Original or ISO, both are in stock. What do you choose, thoughts welcome.
Dop16mm on the other forum

LenryV

Re: Is ATEM mini good enough? Pro/ISO gear lust.

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:33 pm

Well, I have a new ATEM mini, open box but never plugged in, nothing actually removed from the box. I don't need it so if you want it I will sell it.

Return to Live Production