Using XL1S camera with ATEM Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mikecmims

Using XL1S camera with ATEM Mini

PostSun Sep 20, 2020 3:50 am

My church purchased the ATEM Mini to steam services to Facebook Live. We borrowed a cheap 4k camera with a HDMI Mini output and run video through OBS. We get feed, but because of the camera, everything about it is bad for production. We were using 2 Canon XL1S cameras before we went to live services and want to use them again with the Mini. I bought an analog to HDMI converter and are running the HDMI output through the Blackmagic up/down/cross HD converter and running HDMI out of the Blackmagic converter to the ATEM Mini. I've tried every configuration on the HD converter, but still no video. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME! We can't keep using the cheap camera and we do not have the budget for an upgrade this year. Any suggestions???

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Xtreemtec

Re: Using XL1S camera with ATEM Mini

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 2:26 pm

Due too the analog composite video 4:3 video output of those XL1S cameras. It is very hard to use with the Atem mini.

That analog > HDMI converter probably sends out a kind of signal that the UDC HD does not understand.
And direct to the Atem mini also doesnt work probably otherwise you would not have tested it with the UDC HD in between.

So your problem is with the cheap Composite > HDMI converter and need to replace that with a more proper unit!! ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jim Simon

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 4:00 pm

mikecmims wrote:We were using 2 Canon XL1S cameras before we went to live services and want to use them again with the Mini.

I think you will need to change your 'want' on this.

Time to upgrade cameras. I recommend the new Pocket 4K's.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mikecmims

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Thank you for the replies, Xtreemtec and Jim Simon!

Xtreemtec, what type of composite/HDMI converter would you suggest? I purchased one from a local tech store, Micro Center, and they said it was a good for what we are trying to do. It wasn't a cheap converter, but if you have suggestions I am all ears!

Jim, we are a small church and spending $1000 plus on a camera is not in the budget at this time. That's why we are trying to work with what we have. I would love to purchase the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6k camera! However, due to the pandemic, more than 60% of our members have been out of work. We feel it is best to use our reserve funds to serve our members and community during these tough times.

If there are any suggestions for our current issue I am all ears! I was informed by Blackmagic Design Studio that the XL1 camera can be used with the ATEM Mini by using an Analog/ HDMI converter and the updowncross hd converter. I connected the equipment and switched the channels on the cross converter using every combination on the back of the cross converter and still no video. If we need another type of Analog/ HDMI converter, please send a link or name of the converter. We would like to have this setup before Sunday if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Howard Roll

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Pick up a used Image Pro SDI on eBay. If you shop around you can pick one up for $100 bucks. Nothing easier or better for converting analog to digital. Make sure it's the later madel with SDI IO as there are several versions.

Good Luck

mikecmims

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Thank you, Howard Roll! I did not think about that equipment. I can send the cross converter back and save $55!

makeitwrite

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 9:31 pm

You didn't mention what composite --> HDMI converter you were using but I was looking for something else on Amazon and I saw one by Neoteck that is an RCA plug composite connect analog to HDMI out and also upscales to 1080 - I have no idea what that would look like, or if it might work but I would think you could plug in the camera and the HDMI out direct to one of the ATEM mini HDMI in ports... Its called the Mini AV RCA to HDMI Converter, CVBS Composite to HDMI Adapter and like < $20.00 on Amazon and might be worth a try. (I'm not affiliated in any way with these folks). Although, I'll second the idea that maybe it's time for a camera upgrade. We're using 10 year old prosumer Canon camcorders and very happy with the results with a few manual controls (focus, exposure) if necessary but at least they are 1080 and have built-in HDMI out... Not sure what production struggles you have. We are at a Church also doing Sunday service (recording and streaming) and completely understand the budget issues...

All the best,

Bob

mikecmims

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Thank you for the information, Bob! I will definitely look into that converter. Seems like I may just have the wrong type of converter, which will be great news for our services and budget! I am personally looking into finding a suitable upgrade, but again, it will not happen for weeks or months. My budget is very tight as well, lol. Just want to get this up and running with the XL1S. If it works, we want to use it...at least until we are back on our feet, so to speak.

Thanks again and God bless you with your service!

Return to Live Production