Difference between Bcast Videohub and Universal Videohub

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

geffy7

Difference between Bcast Videohub and Universal Videohub

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Thinking about replacing an existing 16 x 16 router.
In trying to decide between the Broadcast Videohub and the Universal Videohub, what would be the factors for and against each model:
Bcast Videohub can't be expanded
Bcast Videohub is 72 in, 144 out, 72 machine controls
Bcast Videohub slightly cheaper
Bcast Videohub for repair, seems like modules are harder swap

Universal Videohub depending on model, can be expanded
Universal Videohub can route fiber inputs/outputs
Smaller Universal Videohub is 72 in, 72 out
Universal Videohub, for repair, you could just pop out bad card put in a new one

Any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated. geof.

John Saunders

Re: Difference between Bcast Videohub and Universal Videohub

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 5:07 pm

We had to decide between those two as well and we decided on the 72x72.

We went through all the thoughts that you did and the major deciding factor was the redundancy that the 72x72 has. If something fails I can swap a card and get it back up and running in 5 min compared to having to uninstall a whole router and wait to a new one to come in.

That being said I am totally maxed on my outputs already:(

We bought a back up of every card including the cpu.

So I guess its up to how much you want to spend and how much you can tolerate downtime if the router fails.
John Saunders

geffy7

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Thanks John. The idea of having a back-up of each card is a good one.

Have you had any reliability or other issues regarding the Universal router?

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 6:12 pm

We did the same thing. The thing that got us is that while the 72x72 doesn't have as much I/O as the Broadcast VideoHub, you can buy the 288x288 frame and slide your cards from the 72x72 in to that unit as the need arises. So your investment in the Universal VideoHub can be re-realized in the 288x288 model whereas with the Broadcast VideoHub you would have to forklift it out should you need more I/O.

We have 1 spare I/O module and PSU for the Universal VideoHub. The Crosspoint was pretty expensive and if that died we would have to re-program the whole thing anyhow. Thus far we have been very, very pleased with the unit which has been running for just under 2 years I believe. I expect we'll upgrade to the 288x288 within the next 2 years and it should be awesome to be able to swap over our copper and fiber SDI cards.

Just wish it supported a bit more. Things like 6G-SDI, HDMI, DVI, etc.

Thanks,

B
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

Baz

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 1:27 am

Well in defense of the Broadcast Videohub, I installed one just under a year ago, turned it on, and its been on ever since; hasn't missed a beat!

But I too was looking at other options including the Universal Videohub.

Prior to my Broadcast Videohub I had 3 x Workgroup videohubs and a Pesa 16x24 SD router.

One day, without any reason, one of the Workgroup videohubs failed to acknowledge commands, so it was pulled out and sent to BM for repair. It was not repairable as the "USB input had been fried".
I have no idea how that happened as it had always been permanently connected to a laptop PC and always powered on.

So what if a new Broadcast Videohub did the same thing?... that's a $16,000 box that could turn into a boat anchor! Surely they would fix that if it suffered a similar fate?!?

Anyhow, in the end I went with the Broadcast Videohub as I needed the 144 outputs and wake up every morning hoping it still works.
The only thing I am not looking forward to is disconnecting 72 inputs, 144 outputs and 72 9p cables and then reconnecting them once it is fixed.

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

John Saunders

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Yeah you can use the 72x72 CPU card in the 288 frame but can only go up to 72x72. Then if you need say 80x80 you have to buy the 288 CPU card:( so the only thing that will save you is the cost of the frame. Plus we don't have the 23 ru they say you need. When we upgrade in gonna have to put in a new rack just for routing...
John Saunders

John Saunders

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Oh and our 72x72 runs 24/7 and haven't had any issues in 6 months. Can't say the same about a bunch of the open frame cards. Have to send four out of twenty back right now. 1 was doa and the other three have died over time.
John Saunders

Bo Skelmose

PostTue Oct 01, 2013 8:31 am

The Studio and Compact Videohup do not allow more than 100% white going through - probabaly the same with the other models.

Return to Live Production