ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher will not connect to software

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MarvMool

ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher will not connect to software

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Just got our new Blackmagic ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher and the switcher software will not connect to the switcher. The software is running on an HP ENVY DV7 and is connected to the Switcher via Ethernet cable (direct connection). I updated the Switcher software via a USB cable... it reported a successful update. However, whenever I start the ATM Software Control application, it pops up with the preferences showing the IP address (default)... but will not connect.
Please Advise... thanks...

Richard Courtney

Re: ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher will not connect to softw

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 pm

By "direct connect" you mean a LAN cable from the switcher to your computer?
You may need a crossover cable.

Also, make sure your laptop has a static IP address in the same subnet as your switcher.
Last edited by Richard Courtney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott B

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 7:37 pm

I dont think the ATEM work with cross over cables. Also, ensure that your computer is setup with the same IP range to ensure the connection. Basically use the same IP address of the switch for yor computer but make the last set of numbers diffrent. If you switcher is 192.168.1.100 make the computer 192.168.1.200 or some other number in the last set.

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 8:01 pm

I think, Scott's idea is the right one. Most computes are used with DHCP on routers. For direct connection, static IPs are needed, because when direct connected, there is no router with DHCP server ;-)

It is described multiple ...

Set ATEMs IP (using setup utility (e.g. 192.168.1.240)
Set the computer (network settings !!!) to static IP with the same subnet and standardgateway as ATEM, but diffrent last number (e.g. When ATEM is set to 192.168.1.240, use for computer 192.168.1.241, or something else not 240)

You don't need a crosslink-/crossover-cable !
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 8:08 pm

The ATEM ethernet port never needs a cross-over cable. If you direct connect a laptop to the ATEM it will autosense that.

As for the original poster. You have not provided NEARLY enough information about your setup to really be able to help you properly.

The connection here and the setup is BASIC networking. The ATEM will have an IP address (static/fixed) and to connect to it using any computer THAT will need to have a compatible IP address as well.

So... please tell us the following

1) HOW are you connecting to the ATEM? (e.g.. directly connecting the ATEM to your Laptop/computer with a cable between the two. OR do you connect the ATEM to your Router/Switch and your Laptop/Computer is also connected to the same router).
2) What is the IP/Subnet/Gateway address of the ATEM (e.g. it could be the default of 192.168.10.240/ 255.255.255.0/ 192.168.10.1)
3) What is the IP/Subnet/Gateway of your PC?
(HINT... it should be very similar to the settings of the ATEM (or vice-versa). If it is completely different.. THAT is the problem.

In other words... you can't just switch on the ATEM...and connect it to your router/laptop and just "have it work". You have to configure things to match.

It's a simple 5 minute job for someone who understands networking. If you have someone in your company who knows these things.. just have them come over and sort this out.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

MarvMool

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks for the helpful info, Liam... and sorry I didn't provide enough detail. Computer is connected via standard cat5 ethernet cable... directly from computer to ATEM... no router in between.
The ATEM IP is the default...
As you instructed, I set the static IP for the computer to 192.168.10.241/255.255.255.0/192.168.10.1 and now the software connects... thanks again for providing the solution....

Richard Courtney

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:The ATEM ethernet port never needs a cross-over cable. If you direct connect a laptop to the ATEM it will autosense that.

Fantastic they are auto-MDIX! Saves a headache if a cable goes bad in the field.

Jeff Rush

PostWed Nov 18, 2015 5:47 am

I realize this is an old forum, but I recently purchased a 1 ME 4K PS, and panel, and they would only connect with standard LAN cable if connected through a network switch.

I tried a crossover cable today and was able to connect the panel and switcher directly with full functionality. Should I assume there is an issue in the panel since this is opposite than what is recommended?

Tobias Dieterich

PostWed Nov 18, 2015 6:29 am

Most ethernet controllers nowadays support auto MDI-X. So it does not matter if you use a crossover cable or a patch cable. But maybe your switch does not so you have to use standard patch cables.
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Alexandre Lopes

PostMon Nov 23, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm from Brazil and I speak little English , I'm sorry for the mistakes of
writing .

I need urgent help

I have the ATEM 1 M / E switcher 4k 1 year and always worked , but now the
software does not identify the ATEM .

1- never changed i IP
2 - I've done the update ATEM Switchers 6.6 Update and firmware.
3 - 4 plugged in to the laptop different (changing the IP address).
4 - my system IP address is 192.168.10.50
5- I changed all network cables
6- I've done a direct connection with network cable into the ATEM and
LAPTOP
7- always worked and I 've never made any change to the IP address.
8- I have looked through the various forums and saw that exitem the same
problem without a solution.
9- green light indicates the connection atem the connection , but the
software does not recognize.

Who could help me?

Liam Kennedy wrote:The ATEM ethernet port never needs a cross-over cable. If you direct connect a laptop to the ATEM it will autosense that.

As for the original poster. You have not provided NEARLY enough information about your setup to really be able to help you properly.

The connection here and the setup is BASIC networking. The ATEM will have an IP address (static/fixed) and to connect to it using any computer THAT will need to have a compatible IP address as well.

So... please tell us the following

1) HOW are you connecting to the ATEM? (e.g.. directly connecting the ATEM to your Laptop/computer with a cable between the two. OR do you connect the ATEM to your Router/Switch and your Laptop/Computer is also connected to the same router).
2) What is the IP/Subnet/Gateway address of the ATEM (e.g. it could be the default of 192.168.10.240/ 255.255.255.0/ 192.168.10.1)
3) What is the IP/Subnet/Gateway of your PC?
(HINT... it should be very similar to the settings of the ATEM (or vice-versa). If it is completely different.. THAT is the problem.

In other words... you can't just switch on the ATEM...and connect it to your router/laptop and just "have it work". You have to configure things to match.

It's a simple 5 minute job for someone who understands networking. If you have someone in your company who knows these things.. just have them come over and sort this out.

Tobias Dieterich

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 5:56 am

Did you check the IP address of the unit with the ATEM setup utility?
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Alexandre Lopes

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Hello , I managed to solve the problem of connection failure between the software and the ATEM and was no problem with IP address.

Did some procedures , see below:

1 - Clear all ATEM NETWORK connectors with contact cleaner using a cotton swab ( unresolved - failure)

2 - Clean plug the network cables with clean contacts . ( Unresolved - failure)

3 - Bad contact in connector (cold welding ) that is the problem !!!

- In Brazil we name of cold welding ( cold soldering )
- Weld failure in ATEM circuit board) , due to wear and remove and place .

- We made the resoldagem the network connector on the circuit on the network card .

The problem was solved , however is necessáio technical cenhecimento to perform the procedure .

MarvMool wrote:Just got our new Blackmagic ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher and the switcher software will not connect to the switcher. The software is running on an HP ENVY DV7 and is connected to the Switcher via Ethernet cable (direct connection). I updated the Switcher software via a USB cable... it reported a successful update. However, whenever I start the ATM Software Control application, it pops up with the preferences showing the IP address (default)... but will not connect.
Please Advise... thanks...

Jerry Kenney

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 3:34 am

Connecting is a nightmare. I dread upgrading the software. The documentation leaves out way too many steps. The ATEM software needs to be more user friendly when connecting.
This has happened every single time it is a nightmare. Blackmagic, please pay attention and create instructions that non-network engineers can follow. This should not be that hard.

Update: Spoke with Josh at BMD. He got me fixed. The instructions should still be more dummied down. Thanks for your help BMD.

Return to Live Production