Audio/Black n White/Clean Feed

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tony Esposito

Audio/Black n White/Clean Feed

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 2:17 am

Finally getting around to setting up my ATEM 1 for an event next month and ran into some questions while testing. I've searched this site but did not see an answer for them and #1 seems to be giving a lot of people trouble.

1. The audio in, using external audio in, it comes in but is very low, even with going threw an audio board. Anything you know to boost it or maybe I need some kind of booster for it? I did not see a padding to turn on/off in the controls.

2. I see no way to paint the cameras but what can I use to change the color/look of the program out mainly to change the program out to black n white?

3. I see the Aux can be a clean feed out but audio does not run down the Aux feed?

If you know of any good video tutes or plug ins for the unit I'd appreciate it. I've seen all the basic ones on youtube. Do the BM reps answer on here or who can we write for answers?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony Esposito

Re: Audio/Black n White/Clean Feed

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 7:17 pm

Answer to #1 from another post:

The ATEMS balanced inputs should be fed with a balanced signal, y cables will not really work, if you want to pass a calibrated level you will need to get a balancing box to create the proper signal. When fed with a calibrated balanced input you should get the proper level you are sending- you can check if you have something that can generate a known oscillator level with a balanced output.

Balanced and unbalanced use different reference voltages so they y cables will never really work, you can read about it here
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/conn ... ice_versa/

Something like this will solve your problem

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Henry-Engineeri ... 1158142884

Tony Esposito

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 4:25 pm

From what I can see no audio down an Aux feed.

Any suggestions on getting black and white program out?

Chad

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 11:10 pm

What would you be using the black and white signal for? There is no color processing of the video within the ATEM. Though if you use just the Y plug of the analog component output into any composite port on a television that will give you black and white.

Tony Esposito

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 11:40 pm

You produce a lot of concerts and in the past we've had some bands want an opening or a song in black and white to go more with their music. Pretty much the only time I've needed it but wanted to have it ready to go again incase it came up. I was hoping for a cheap pass through like a camera control that I could dial down the color. On our SD switcher we have black and white out along with some other effects we used for the crazy shows like paint n glow parties.

Robert Betzner

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 11:00 am

No way to do this with the ATEM.#

Buy a Terranex 2D and chain it into the PGM out and the projector or recorder. The Terranex gives you full ability to change anything in your PGM out but increases the latency.

Cheers

pro.

Tony Esposito

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for the idea but I don't want the latency issue. Push comes to shove I'll make a grey color background, take the opacity down and overlay it on top, lol.

Return to Live Production