HD on ATEM from mini converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kerri Baker

HD on ATEM from mini converter

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 7:10 pm

We recently put in a ATEM 2 M/E switcher. To bring us to a higher level of video production. Boy have we been impressed with the quality of video that we have been seeing. However, we now just put in a HD projector and though about running everything HD. In changing the setting on the ATEM switcher to hd nothing seems to work unless I go back to SD. So I need help in understanding what I am doing wrong.

The SItuation:
I started out running every thing standard Def (525 59.94I 16:9) into the switcher, everything works fine. However, if I switch to HD (1080i) nothing works. Right now I am working with two main input sources a IMAC Computer or MacBook Pro and a JVC GY-HD100 Camera. With the computers I have been using a mini display port to HDMI adapter. First, try was taking the HDMI out to a mini converter HDMI to SDI to the switcher. This works fine when doing SD. When I switch to HD I can't get any output to the switcher. NOthing shows up.

My second input is the JVC camera that will do 720P HD. On the camera I am using the component out,which I am currently double checking to make sure that it outputs HD over component. When I run the camera SD to the switcher I get video. If I switch to HD on both again I get no video. I am using the Analog to SDI mini converter. I may be using the wrong piece.

My goal is to be able to use an HD Device or even possible up convert so that everything coming into the switcher is HD and then output from the switcher HD.

Please advise on what I am missing?

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

Re: HD on ATEM from mini converter

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi.

If you set the Atem to 1080i all inputs must also be in 1080i.
If you can't set them to that you must use an up converter.

Hakan
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Scott B

Re: HD on ATEM from mini converter

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 9:18 pm

THE JVC cameras do HD over component. Depending on which camera it might do only 720. the higher models do 720 and 1080. You have to set the ATEM in to the same format as the camera. You can not mix and watch formats, all have to be SD, or all 720, or all 1080. The ATEM must be in the same mode as the cameras or you get nothing.

Return to Live Production