How to power SmartView HD when you shoot at nature?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Stomp

How to power SmartView HD when you shoot at nature?

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Could you tell me please SmartView 17'' HD is good and good price but 90% of shooting in outdoor there is no 200w and 12V so how SmartView HD can be uses on shooting or it only for 10% indoor shooting?

Dave Glennie

Re: How to power SmartView HD when you shoot at nature?

PostFri Oct 05, 2012 9:00 am

Hi there,

depends what shooting kit you've got- but how about powering from the camera kit? A d-tap connector maybe from the camera or recorder providing 12V.....we do it for on-board confidence monitors for some of our kits....
However- be careful of power- the 4 pin hirose on the back of some Sony cameras only supports around 400mA- it's an internal fuse that pops.......anything bigger can be powered from a 12v on-board lamp outlet- or directly from a battery port etc....

cheers
Dave ;)
Hi-sat Broadcast
DSNG HD uplink trucks x 2, PDW-700 XDCam HD x 2, PMW500, HDW-750 x 5,
Way too much BMD stuff to list!!

Stomp

PostFri Oct 05, 2012 11:20 am

Dave Glennie wrote:Hi there,

depends what shooting kit you've got- but how about powering from the camera kit? A d-tap connector maybe from the camera or recorder providing 12V.....we do it for on-board confidence monitors for some of our kits....
However- be careful of power- the 4 pin hirose on the back of some Sony cameras only supports around 400mA- it's an internal fuse that pops.......anything bigger can be powered from a 12v on-board lamp outlet- or directly from a battery port etc....

cheers
Dave ;)

Thanks

So How connect D-tap to SmartView HD power? Is it need some D-tap connector? One to side battery and another to SmartView HD?

Dave Glennie

PostFri Oct 05, 2012 11:38 am

Hi 'Stomp'

Yeh- something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-tap-cable-for-RUIGE-TL-S500HD-LILLIPUT-HD70HP-667GL-668GL-HD-Field-Monitor-/250984785553?pt=Camera_Cables_Cords&hash=item3a6fdbe691&_uhb=1#ht_3754wt_1398

I know it's Ebay- but I make them up myself- just buy the connectors and some cable- make them to size.......

OR

make them with a 4-pin XLR and connect them to a V-lock battery cradle- velcro that to the rear of the monitor.
connect it to this:

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=vlr-xlr4s&mainMenuItemToSlide=1&asi=vl-mr2&asi2=vl-100

Cheers
Dave ;)
Hi-sat Broadcast
DSNG HD uplink trucks x 2, PDW-700 XDCam HD x 2, PMW500, HDW-750 x 5,
Way too much BMD stuff to list!!

Stomp

PostFri Oct 05, 2012 11:54 am

Dave Glennie wrote:Hi 'Stomp'

Yeh- something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-tap-cable-for-RUIGE-TL-S500HD-LILLIPUT-HD70HP-667GL-668GL-HD-Field-Monitor-/250984785553?pt=Camera_Cables_Cords&hash=item3a6fdbe691&_uhb=1#ht_3754wt_1398

I know it's Ebay- but I make them up myself- just buy the connectors and some cable- make them to size.......

OR

make them with a 4-pin XLR and connect them to a V-lock battery cradle- velcro that to the rear of the monitor.
connect it to this:

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=vlr-xlr4s&mainMenuItemToSlide=1&asi=vl-mr2&asi2=vl-100

Cheers
Dave ;)

Thanks a lot Dave!
Actually field option is important because very often you are shooting just in field. SmartView HD is good with good price and field option is very useful.

Thanks a lot!

der_Stefan

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 8:56 am

All you need is a battery adaptor with a voltage stabilizer to 12 V.
I found an electrician, that build me a d-tap to dc-barrel adaptors, where the stabilizer is included in the d-tap plug.
For DUO and HD, BMD specifies 20W power consumption.

In my case I'm using successful 1A/12V stabilizers integrated in D-Tap-plugs on two SM DUOs since several months, powered by V-Mount-Accus.
With a 190Wh battery one SM DUO operates around 12 to 14 hours...

I'm powering these devices over battery:
SM DUO
all Mini Converters
Ultra Studio 3D
ATEM TVS

For 20W obviously you should use bigger stabilizers like at least 2A/12V but they would be too big to integrated them into the t-dap-plug. I found out, that the 1A/12V seems to be strong enough. They become warm, but not too much... approved by using over several days...

I found no store to buy that, so find someone to solder those plugs / adapters for you or you have to do it yourself...

If you are from germany, i could held you out...

greetings

der_Stefan
life is hard - but the graphics are great

dberg

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Could you power it with a APC Smart-UPS 750VA with LCD (120V)?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... _120V.html

news4media

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Stomp wrote:Could you tell me please SmartView 17'' HD is good and good price but 90% of shooting in outdoor there is no 200w and 12V so how SmartView HD can be uses on shooting or it only for 10% indoor shooting?

Don't power from the camera, you need to use the battery d-tap for monitors. The camera d-tap is ok for lights.
V-Sat Satellite truck, Panasonic HPX370, Sony HVR270, SonyZ1, Mics & lighting.
Teranex 2D, Hyper deck studio, Hyper deck shuttle, Television studio, Smart view dual, Studio converter, Camera converter, H264 encoder, Intensity Pro, Ultra Studio SDI.

Return to Live Production