HDCP

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

scottyp100

HDCP

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 5:18 am

Hi,

Has anyone had any joy trying to get HDCP compliant devices to convert and send through SDI? I've been trying to go convert Component to SDI as 1080i but with no joy as it shuts down as soon as it hits a DVD with protection. Is there anyway to block the HDCP? I understand the purpose of trying to protect the content, but it's a tad prohibitive at times...

SP

Adam Simmons

Re: HDCP

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 9:00 am

HDCP only works through digital connections, so if you're outputting Component from your device it shouldn't be seeing HDCP. DVD's don't normally use HDCP, it's usually only found on HD DVD and Blu-ray
Also that's the point of copy protection, to be prohibitive and to stop you from being able to use protected footage.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

scottyp100

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 9:18 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Here's the scenario.

I feed Component out from a DVD Player outputting 1080i, into various BMD devices (Hyperdeck Studio Pro, Broadcast Converter, Analog-SDI) all devices produce the same results. Different discs have varying results, but I will have image fine until I attempt to play the actual movie. Some stop immediately, some will get through the menu's, but eventually all stop. The Hyperdeck will actually change from displaying the image and telling me it's receiving 1080i, to all of a sudden having no input. If I use a 'ripped' version of the exact same DVD, it plays without issue. There's obviously protection of some form being removed during the ripping process.

I appreciate the protection is there for a reason, but there is obviously quite often very real (and legal) needs to play a DVD...

SP

Adam Simmons

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 9:38 am

Well if it's from a DVD then it's probably a form of macrovision. You could try playing it through a timebase corrector as that sometimes works or use a copy of the disc with protection removed. As far as I'm aware all BM devices will pick up on copy protection and prevent you from using the footage
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Chad

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Many modern DVD/Bluray players do this on purpose to plug the so-called "analog hole", to prevent you from doing exactly what you are trying to do. That is the definition of copy protection. It is an ongoing battle.

Return to Live Production