Using older switcher panels with ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Baz

Using older switcher panels with ATEM

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 12:05 am

In the past I have built my own control panels for use with ATEM switchers.
This 'custom built' ability allowed me to add functionality to suit my specific needs.
Things like; direct control of outboard devices like decks, CG's (Caspar), routers etc, so while BM make mighty good panels they do not allow them to be 'custom made' for individual purposes.

So thats why I made my own; the first was an 'all bells and whistles' version for the ATEM 2me with NO button mapping; there are buttons for EVERYTHING! It was a big job and really works well but in the real world you might as well spend the money and just go and buy the readily available ATEM control panel.

Then I realised that I was re-inventing the wheel. Over the years there have been many many different forms of vision switchers; most have a control panel, interconnect cable and associated electronics that house the actual switching and connection components.

The old panels are still as functional today as they were 30 years ago (as is the computer keyboard from its inception). Sure they could be smaller but human fingers haven't changed in size so that's why HID's (Human Input Devices) haven't changed much in that time.

I started off using an old Intergroup Vision Mixer panel interfaced to an Arduino connected to an ATEM TVS. I totally gutted the panel and using the buttons, knobs, faders and lamps (changed them to LEDs) I made a fully functional hardware panel.
Then I decided to do away with all this 'rewiring' and interface directly to an old AMPEX switcher that used RS422 communications between panel and electronics. That also worked very well but given that it was an AMPEX Century fully buttoned 2 me control panel, it was a permanent fixture and not able to 'go out on the road'. I then interfaced to a Video Gainsville panel (now that is going back) and it required a lot more 'hardware' changes but at least didn't involve bit bashing any protocols.

And then I remembered one of the best 'small sized' switcher panels that were around in the '80s and '90s; the GVG100/GVG110. This panel was so good that even Grass Valley used it in one of its first HD switchers; the GVG110HD. I found one of these panels and electronics (not working) on ebay and then 2 panels only, again on ebay.

The first thing I did was pull the panel apart and draw a rough overview of how it worked. I won't go into detail here but I worked out a way of interfacing to the electronics and got a 'proof of concept' going.
But I really wanted to interface directly with the panels built in RS422 communications so I spent some time and managed to get the electronics working and started to strip down the protocol.
I got it going but before I could finish the electronics failed again (due to gravity) so I went back to my original idea of hardware interface. This was a much faster comms connection than the RS422 way and it didn't involve using the RS422 interface that I had to build for my Microcontroller.

Anyhow, stage 1 is now done and what I have now is a nice sized ATEM control panel with 'familiar feel' that can easily be taken out on the road. Here is a quick look at it working....

I have already sold one to a mate and on the first day out someone spilt a cup of coffee into it and it kept on working!

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Martin Kay

Re: Using older switcher panels with ATEM

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 11:12 am

Wow, that's really good! :D
ZEN Computer Services

boogui

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 8:28 am

hello

yes that's a really nice job.

So yo did an piece of arduino code to convert GVG100 protocol to ATEM protocol ? cool.

What i want to do is to remote the AUX buses of the ATEM with any kind of router panel, in order to use the output for feeding the VTR, shading...
Have you ever done that, do you think this can be done with the smart hub panels ? Or do i have to convert protocol in order to use another brand's panel ?

regards

TheSwede

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 8:49 am

Quite impressive. I have been thinking of building my own RS422 to Atem protocol converter for quite a while. This really got my motivation going. My main use would be to make an inexpensive HD upgrade by installing a atem 2m/e and interface it to the old Sony and GVG panels already installed.

Charles Sanchez

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 2:38 pm

I need to buy one , them let me know what I have to do because I have 2 Panel Grass Valley 110 them I need to convert that for my atem.
Let me know how can I proceed to buy it

Charles Sanchez

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 2:38 pm

I need to buy one , them let me know what I have to do because I have 2 Panel Grass Valley 110 them I need to convert that for my atem.

Baz

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 11:08 pm

boogui wrote:hello

yes that's a really nice job.

So yo did an piece of arduino code to convert GVG100 protocol to ATEM protocol ? cool.

What i want to do is to remote the AUX buses of the ATEM with any kind of router panel, in order to use the output for feeding the VTR, shading...
Have you ever done that, do you think this can be done with the smart hub panels ? Or do i have to convert protocol in order to use another brand's panel ?

regards

I initially used the GVG110 RS422 control but it only ran at 9600 baud and not as responsive as my 'direct interface' method which only needed a few minor internal changes.

If you want to control aux busses I can do that too as I already am now using the GVG110 key bus buttons.
I can also build you an aux buss control that you can install into your own panel if you have one or you can build one.

"Have you ever done that, do you think this can be done with the smart hub panels ?"

I believe this is possible by connecting the 'smart hub panel', the ATEM and one of my boxes to the same network . Then I can collect the control data from the smart hub panel and reprocess it as ATEM aux buss commands.
But I don't have a panel to test it out (maybe next year).

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 11:10 pm

TheSwede wrote:Quite impressive. I have been thinking of building my own RS422 to Atem protocol converter for quite a while. This really got my motivation going. My main use would be to make an inexpensive HD upgrade by installing a atem 2m/e and interface it to the old Sony and GVG panels already installed.

As mentioned in the post above I am not using the GVG110 RS422 protocol anymore. I am using direct interface. But if you have the printed protocol I could check it out. Unfortunately I have to backwards engineer this stuff and need the hardware to do so.

Baz
Last edited by Baz on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 11:16 pm

chsanchez wrote:I need to buy one , them let me know what I have to do because I have 2 Panel Grass Valley 110 them I need to convert that for my atem.

In the next week or so I will publish a detailed description of the modifications required which include converting the LAMPS to LEDs, internal connection and jumpers and conversion to running on a single 9v wall plug.

It takes about half an hour to do all the internal work and about one hour to change all the lamps to leds.

It is not necessary to change the lamps to leds but to use lamps you also need to supply an additional 14v to the panel.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 1:01 am

Can you share arduino code too? Thanks!

Baz

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 7:29 am

Here is a link to the next tutorial on the GVG110/ATEM Transition panel part 1.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 10:43 am

I have uploaded another quick tutorial video showing how to assigned inputs for each of the 10 buttons of the GVG110 (and another 10 inputs for SHIFT inputs).

Also uploaded last week was a tutorial on how to assign the required ip addresses for the ATEM, the controller (my unit) and ip setting for a Videohub control (not shown).

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

TheSwede

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 10:31 am

Baz wrote:As mentioned in the post above I am not using the GVG110 RS422 protocol anymore. I am using direct interface. But if you have the printed protocol I could check it out. Unfortunately I have to backwards engineer this stuff and need the hardware to do so.

Baz

I only have parts of the protocol printed and the panels are in use so backwards engineering would have to take place in between events. Do you use the Arduino for reading out the serial messages?

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 10:51 am

I still don't understand you Buz.. You started this topic naming old hardware panels for our ATEM's but you're actually bragging about what you achieved and between the lines all i can get is that you want to sell your arduino code which is actually skaarhoj's modified ones I guess..

Or I'm wrong?

Charles Sanchez

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Them let me know when you will be selling that adapter. I am ancious for that because I saw in your tutorial that it is working ok.

evilb66

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Well I am happy to pay real $$ for this.
It is still a great solution. And not everything is free.
The term is ROI.
;)
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

Baz

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Ivan Tanaskovic wrote:I still don't understand you Buz.. You started this topic naming old hardware panels for our ATEM's but you're actually bragging about what you achieved and between the lines all i can get is that you want to sell your arduino code which is actually skaarhoj's modified ones I guess..

Or I'm wrong?

Bragging? The whole idea of the original post was to let those that have the knowhow aware that it is doable.
The great motivation is knowing that all the time you may spend to try and get something to work will NOT be wasted if you know it can be done.
When I first started out breaking down the ATEM protocol, I had no idea that what I wanted to achieve was doable, but this time last year I got a 'proof of concept' going and worked on that for my own purposes.

It has come a long way since, and I have been approached by others with different products that are willing to pay me to develop stuff for them; and where I can I do.

Also, there are people who do not have the knowhow, or the time to do what I have done, so I do not keep it to myself, and offer it (for a small fee) to those interested. I am not going to become a zillionaire over it; just how many could I sell, really? Its not a consumer item is it!

I could spend my days writing iPhone/iPad apps and THEN I could be rich but I stick with what I like doing. In the '80's I was writing code for Linear Edit Controllers and was able to buy a house with the earnings but those days are gone.

And as for skaarhoj's code, I wish I had it when I first started my project, it would have taken 6 months off my R&D. Just the opening connect packet took over a month!

Baz (not buz)

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 10:57 pm

TheSwede wrote:.... Do you use the Arduino for reading out the serial messages?

I originally was using an RS422 module I designed that plugs into the Arduino (which connected to the GVG110's 15 pin connector).
I have since put that RS422 interface on hold and gone with directly communicating with the data/address busses of the control panel.
Works so much better and the Arduino has enough pins to do the interface and some left over for providing TTL tallies. The RS422 module is used for the edit controller.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 11:06 pm

chsanchez wrote:Then let me know when you will be selling that adapter. I am anxious for that because I saw in your tutorial that it is working ok.

Its only a week or two away before it is finished and then I have to do the documentation and instruction video.
There are a few GVG110 keys that get re-assigned other duties as there are things that the ATEM does not have eg. 'DSK PVW', "OUTLINE', 'SHADOW', and there are many things the GVG110 panel does not have that the ATEM does eg. 'PREV TRANS', 'PRE MULT', AUX BUSSES' etc

When I release the product there will be the ability to update the firmware using the USB connector on the Arduino and a HEX file I supply so ongoing development will be available.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 11:13 pm

evilb66 wrote:Well I am happy to pay real $$ for this.
It is still a great solution. And not everything is free.
The term is ROI.
;)

Couldn't have said it better myself.
When you consider the cost of having a real HARDWARE PANEL its not a lot to pay.
AND, if you write code and have access to the published libraries you can do it yourself, even if you just want to control the input buttons and fader.

Baz
(ps. my investment is quite considerable and I will never get the money back, but that is not a concern as I do it for my own purposes to use in house; and I could of kept it to myself and used it as an edge in business, but there are those in need out there...)

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Ok, you bought me! :)

Anyway, I was planing to do exactly the same thing, last couple months, maybe more, to modify existing panel to work with arduino.. An idea was came up when i bumped on skarhoj's code.. And right now only panel I can get my hands on is kayak 2,5 M/E but its too big.. I need something way smaller.. And then Ive bumped here on your project which is perfect, exactly the same like i want!
(oh!, did I mention "great job!").

P.S. Sorry, Baz not buz :)

Peter Collis

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 12:38 am

Hi Baz!

I think the ideal fully-developed interface product might include a flexible mapping function for initial set-up, so a user could plug in almost any serial switcher panel, and then press each key at a time, and the software would recognise its signalling and the user could assign it to an item on a table of standard ATEM button functions. Likewise [somehow] the device would activate each lamp at a time, and the user would associate it with a lamp state signal from the ATEM. Hopefully levers and pots could be similarly mapped, and gain curves established.

The switcher's display screen [if fitted] could be disregarded, as some kind of evolved version of the existing ATEM software panel display could be used instead to enter and retrieve settings.

Users could later remap and rename their button panels for optimum usability.

The interface product could come with pre-loaded settings for popular panels like the GVG100. Users could swap and share their favorite mappings, so the labour of development is shared around.

A very good panel for the ATEM2 might be the Sony DVS6000, which has very similar capabilities. It has lots of buttons for user preferences and macros. but I don't know how much "brainy stuff" goes on in the panel versus the cardframe [or to what extent it is a dumb box full of buttons and lights and serial multiplexing, and how this possible complexity might be managed for this project.

NielsNederstigt

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Great project Baz!
I've got a GVG panel waiting for its second life. :)

Niels
| BMD ATEM 1M/E | BMD Hyperdeck Studio Pro | BMD Analog-SDI miniconverter |
| 2x BMD SDI-HDMI miniconverter | BMD Syncgenerator |
| 3x BMD Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 | 3x Panasonic HPX500 | 1x Panasonic HVX200 |
| www.nnvideo.nl |

Baz

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Ivan Tanaskovic wrote:Ok, you bought me! :)

Anyway, I was planing to do exactly the same thing, last couple months, maybe more, to modify existing panel to work with arduino.. An idea was came up when i bumped on skarhoj's code.. And right now only panel I can get my hands on is kayak 2,5 M/E but its too big.. I need something way smaller.. And then Ive bumped here on your project which is perfect, exactly the same like i want!
(oh!, did I mention "great job!").

P.S. Sorry, Baz not buz :)

"skarhoj's code" (library) is great if you need to build a switcher with the basics, but it does not do a lot of the intricate stuff that I had to reverse engineer to use in my fully blown 2me panel.
Things like Multiviewer input changes which I featured recently in a GVG110 tutorial.
I think the hardest thing that I had to implement was using a joystick to control the 'lightsource' on the DVE. When writing code for this stuff I have to 'think like the equipment' when interfacing and 'think like a user' when designing. It really gets hard sometimes but being an electronics engineer, a software programmer and a television producer really does tie it all together!

Yes the 'kayak 2,5 M/E' is too big for portable work as I found out when trying to use my Ampex 2 me panel a while ago but I am really happy with the size of the GVG110 even though I have a purpose built panel a quarter of the size I use with my ATEM TVS.

This panel just does the basics but also can control all audio functions including on/off, afv, faders and panners etc

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Hello Peter - long time no see!!!

Yes the idea of an interface to turn any panel into an ATEM (or Toaster) controller would be a good one but would take a considerable amount of time.

This can be reflected in my simple GVG110 adaption, as there are so many differences in the user functionality between the panel and the ATEM.
For instance just the down stream keyer required a major rethink. The GVG110 panel has engraved buttons like Fill buttons Ext Vid, Matte, Borderline, Drop Shadow and outline, and source buttons Key Buss and source ext; all which the ATEM DSK does not have. And then the ATEM has pre multiply and complete source selections for both cut and fill.
I have re-adapted and relabeled all affected buttons but there is a massive amount of 'logic' required to make it user friendly.

And of course there is the major concern with most things; how many can be sold to make it financially viable.

Grant Petty took the gamble for building a business based on non-consumer products and I really admire him for that, whereas Apple is abandoning non consumer products to chase the big bucks.

People can be happy with $1,000 in the bank as they can be with $1,000,000 in the bank; its just the level of happiness is different.

Baz (pop in and check out my rigs one day, you are always welcome!)

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 8:35 am

For those interested in modifying a GVG110 panel, the following link will provide you with whats required.
Don't just leap in; read it thru first but I do not think its rocket science; more Diet Coke+Mentos Rocket Science

[url]
http://www.lefflerpost.com.au/ATEM/gvg1 ... 20mods.pdf[/url]

I have done 5 panels, so ask me questions if needed.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 7:14 am

FYI - GVG110 to ATEM user guide

Here is a link to the (rough) users guide as the software stands at the moment.

I will be posting some more quick tutorials after I finish re-labeling my panels.

http://www.lefflerpost.com.au/gvg2atem/GVG%20110%20to%20ATEM%20user%20guide.pdf

cheers

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

Re: Using GVG switcher panel with ATEM

PostWed Jan 22, 2014 10:29 am

This is how I get an infinite range of numbers out of knob that has an absolute start and a finish.

The technique is used for controlling ATEM parameters with a GVG control panel.

Watch this video and see how.

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

TWO GVG switcher panels with ATEM

PostThu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 am

If you thought using a GVG control panel to control an ATEM Production Switcher was an 'interesting concept', then here is a video of TWO GVG control panels controlling the SAME ATEM. Yep... TWO!

One control panel is controlling Mix Effects 1 and the other control panel is controlling Mix Effects 2.
AND, as each panel has its own microprocessor controller they can have their own assignments of inputs.

Can you imagine going out to cover a football match. You can do two separate coverages; one favouring team A being produced on ME 1 with panel 1 and the other one favouring team B being produced on ME 2 with panel 2. The panels don't even need to be in the same room!

If this was ever a requirement I could even write the code to amalgamate the tallies so either ME 1 or ME 2 would turn on the required tallies.

Am I thinking outside the box? Yeah, maybe....

(ps. this was actually a test I did to see if the same MAC address can be used on both panels. Result: NO.
So now I have to add yet another parameter that has to be adjustable; MAC address)

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

alt.don

PostSun Jan 26, 2014 4:49 am

Baz,

:o I love the work you've done with the GVG. I actually have 2 of those sitting in my junk room at work. Maybe I'll give those a shot if I ever finish my current project.

I searched a while back, but couldn't find anything on the net about re-purposing old switcher control panels for ATEM's. So I set out to do what you did, but with an Echolab SE/3 panel. Armed only with an Arduino, scope, and pad of paper I eventually figured out how to read and write data to the panel. Now comes the difficult part of making it actually act like a switcher control panel and talking to the ATEM software.

Would it be possible for me to pick your brain on some of the steps you took to get your project working?

Thanks,
Don

Baz

PostMon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 pm

alt.don wrote:Baz,

Would it be possible for me to pick your brain on some of the steps you took to get your project working?

Thanks,
Don

Pick away Don.... but let me say that the hardest part of the project was working out how to get so many ATEM functions into such a limited number of hardware controls.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

alt.don

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 3:47 am

Right now i'm trying to figure out how to keep track of all the buttons, knobs and levers. I've been stumped on how to setup the functions per button. My plan was to write a huge switch statement or lots of if statements, which would call an action command for each button or knob. I'm sure there's probably a more elegant way of doing this, but it's got me stumped. I'm by no means an expert programmer, but I'm fairly persistent on getting things to work.

I'm not quote sure how the GVG data works, but the Echolab works by receiving a byte which either tells the panel to respond with the data stored or receiving two bytes one being the address and two being data to store.

Baz

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 pm

GVG to ATEM Configuration Panel - another video

Here is the introduction to an additional unit for the GVG to ATEM controller

The optional Configuration panel is a small extension to the existing GVG control panel enabling easier access to some of the set up parameters.
It also includes some enhancements to the normal operation, showing buss crosspoints, deck control timecodes and status, including cue and cue marking capabilities.

It is early days for the software and will be continually enhanced over the coming months.

It interfaces to the Micro-Controller using 'I2C' communication allowing a convenient thin cable and 6 pin minidin connectors.

Once I determine there is an interest in using this interface with my 'GVG to ATEM controller' I will get the cases fabricated and the circuit boards assembled.

Again, a 'one take wonder'....

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostFri Feb 07, 2014 11:56 am

Another in a series of high bugdet video's....

Previously shown was the 8 tally controls using the expansion cable that comes with the GVG to ATEM controller kit.

Here I explain the optional 'extended tally system'.
This uses an add on card to the controller that provides 12 PROGRAM tally controls and 12 PREVIEW tally controls.
Also shown is the technique to change the modes using the Telnet interface. This can also be controlled using the optional Configuration Panel shown in a previous video.

Incidentally, the small Extended Tally Interface module was never featured in this video but you can see it on the right at the end frame.
They will be available once they come back from fabrication.

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

GVG Panel controlling ATEM audio functions

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Still cramming features into this software.
Here I show the way the GVG panel can be used to control all the audio features of an ATEM production switcher.
These features include Fader and Pan values, AFV and ON AIR toggles for all inputs, Media players, external inputs and finally the MASTER fader.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostMon Apr 14, 2014 6:26 am

Got dirty Pots and T-Bar on GVG panel?

As I provide more and more GVG to ATEM kits to GVG100 users I am finding the older panels are more susceptible to aged pots and T-Bars.

This wasn't so much a problem with GVG110 and GVG1000 panels as age hasn't wearied them (yet!).

Here is a video showing what a worn out T-Bar can do to the functionality of an ATEM when used with the GVG to ATEM controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KApNWbJP6_U

Soon I will be posting a document showing how to fix the T-Bar pots as they are field repairable (to some extent).

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 1:49 am

If anyone is interested in buying a 'ready to go' GVG panel to control an ATEM here is one on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121319932582?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostFri Apr 18, 2014 1:28 am

FYI

Here are the instructions on how to rebirth a troublesome T-Bar on an old GVG control panel.

http://www.lefflerpost.com.au/gvg2atem/REFURBISHINGTBAR.pdf

(Sorry Tony but it is kinda related to this thread...)

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Peter Collis

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 12:22 am

Baz wrote:
but let me say that the hardest part of the project was working out how to get so many ATEM functions into such a limited number of hardware controls.

Baz
[/quote]

Hi Baz,

May I suggest taking the opposite direction to cramming so many ATEM functions into the limited hardware controls on the panel surface.

As I'm sure you are aware, modern switchers like the current Sony broadcast VMUs, rely heavily on a side panel in the form of a touch screen, where all presets, values and configurations and macros are written, loaded and recalled, usually done well before doing the broadcast itself. "On the day" the touch screen is only rarely accessed, and all the functions for the show in question are executed from the hardware panel, often involving only a very few carefully-delegated keys for sources, transitions and macros.

I tried to create this arrangement using the BMD hardware panel and the BMD software panel running side by side, but the software panel is designed primarily to run the switcher without a hardware panel, and is quite unsuited to this mode of operation, and requires at least a bulky 1366x768 display (it's too dumb to scale itself down), which looks somewhat ridiculous with its huge fat clunky "buttons" etc.

Rather than force all the functionality on to the tiny surface of a GVG100 panel, perhaps the "next big thing" would be to create a "professional" in-software side panel, fully exploiting the macro capabilities of the ATEMs in a truly ergonomic manner.

Given the low cost of micro PCs and displays, and for the replication of the required software, this approach would be highly compatible with the economics of re-purposing those sweet old GVG100 panels.

What do you think?

Baz

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 1:49 am

Hey Peter

I have almost finished exactly what you are talking about. I call it an 'extended control panel' and it is almost the same as what I have in my 2me control panel that I plan to release this year.

Here is a picture in the prototype -

It will have a 20x4 LCD display with 3 soft keys on the left, 3 soft keys on the right and 5 soft rotary encoders with buttons at the bottom. It will also have a menu select rotary encoder.

It will connect to the main GVG controller by 6 pin connector and cable so it can sit along side the GVG panel.

This was the main control for the 2me prototype seen here -

I am just waiting on the 3D printer to arrive to I can start making the enclosures etc.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Peter Collis

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 am

For comparison, this is the touchscreen on a current-model Sony MVS6000 series switcher. This seems to be less hardware-reliant than the Baz prototype, with soft selection buttons on screen and rotary encoders to enter values. The hardware buttons are just for instant access to menu pages one might need to get to in a hurry. There's also a version with no hardware buttons or knobs at all.

On the other hand, the Baz model is incredibly efficient with hardware, panel space and overall simplicity.

Unlike the BMD software panel, it doesn't attempt to emulate a main control panel, where almost all the real-time on-air control happens.

Separating the setting-up mode from the on-air mode is the trick here. It allows for for a simpler main panel (expensive and bulky hardware to manufacture) and the software panel enables extensive and endlessly up-gradable support for menus, settings and macros.

Obviously, the MVS6000 costs ten times that of an ATEM2, but you'd be amazed how much an ATEM2 can deliver, if only the user interface and macros can be presented properly.

Baz

A Quick behind the scenes tour of the GVG to ATEM developmen

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 am

This is an INFORMAL video I made for someone, and he suggested I post it because he said it was "interesting". WTF!?!

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 2:31 am

I had previously shown the basic AUDIO CONTROL of an ATEM using a modified GVG 100/110 Control Panel.

The following video shows the method used to VU MONITOR the audio levels on both the TELNET display and the PATTERN LED's on the GVG Control panel.
Later in development, this monitoring will also be extended to the optional LCD panel.

When monitoring the audio from the ATEM, it uses the data that the ATEM sends to the controller. While in AUDIO MODE, this data is continuous and very large, so it is recommended to turn off the AUDIO MODE during normal operation and only use it when setting up levels etc.

Video's coming soon..... EMEM; panel save and recall.
... and later.... GPI MACRO's

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostWed Jul 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Using the GVG panel to switch between live inputs and Media pool

Here is a nifty little trick you can do with a GVG 100/110 control panel + my controller + ANY ATEM production switcher.
This uses the program and preview rows to directly select and switch any 20 stills loaded in the media pool.
By using the 'ENTER' button in conjunction with program buttons, you can cut Stills 1 to 10 on air, and in conjunction with the preview buttons, you can cut Stills 1 to 10 to preview. Furthermore, when used in conjunction with the 'SHIFT' button, you can cut Stills 11 to 20 on air, and in conjunction with the preview buttons, you can cut Stills 11 to 20 to preview.

As an example, you can cut camera 1 on the program buss and then still 1 ('1+ENTER') on the preview buss and do a dissolve. Then cut still 2 on the preview buss ('2+ENTER') and do another dissolve. Then cut camera 2 on the preview buss and dissolve again.

butt NO SHIFT SHIFT NO SHIFT SHIFT
NO ENTER NO ENTER ENTER ENTER
1 i/p 1 i/p11 STILL 1 STILL 11
2 i/p 2 i/p12 STILL 2 STILL 12
3 i/p 3 i/p13 STILL 3 STILL 13
4 i/p 4 i/p14 STILL 4 STILL 14
5 i/p 5 i/p15 STILL 5 STILL 15
6 i/p 6 i/p16 STILL 6 STILL 16
7 i/p 7 i/p17 STILL 7 STILL 17
8 i/p 8 i/p18 STILL 8 STILL 18
9 i/p 9 i/p19 STILL 9 STILL 19
10 i/p10 i/p20 STILL 10 STILL 20

You can use a footswitch connected to any of the 9 gpi inputs to easily switch the different modes. You can also use another footswitch connected to any other of the 9 gpi inputs to easily switch the 11 to 20 inputs. Pretty soon you will have more footswitches than Slash!

Thanks to Rob Ashard for the suggestion.

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

cnolley

PostWed Jul 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Most interesting!
How are you physically interfacing the GVG panel with the ATEM?
Thanks.

Baz

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 12:36 am

cnolley wrote:Most interesting!
How are you physically interfacing the GVG panel with the ATEM?
Thanks.

The GVG panel is modified and a small Arduino controller board is installed which interfaces to the ATEM using a network connection.

see http://www.lefflerpost.com.au/gvg2atem/ for more detail.

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostSun Jul 06, 2014 1:52 am

EMEM - GVG panel saving/recalling all ATEM settings

I have done the last of the standard feature set for the GVG panel control of the ATEM production switcher.
EMEM - an '80's term for storing panel settings in memory; 'Electronic MEMory'.
This feature allows you to save EVERY aspect of the ATEM settings in 256 separate registers. Each register contains 4000 individual values.

When in SAVE mode, it will save all 4000 values, and when in LOAD mode it will allow selective recall of up to 23 different parameter values. Recalling sends the commands directly to the ATEM to take immediate effect.
Each of the 256 registers can also be write protected.
I use this EMEM feature often when moving between my different ATEM models.
I have setups 1 to 99 for my ATEM 2me and setups 100 to 199 for my TVS.

Also useful is using Auto Increment mode where I have a sequence of panel setups I need to recall in fast succession. With auto increment on, each time I do a recall it steps to the next waiting for recall.

for more operational info see
http://www.lefflerpost.com.au/gvg2atem/GVG%20110%20to%20ATEM%20user%20guide.pdf

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Sam Jones

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Baz,

I have been wondering if it is possible to use just a raspberry pi controling the software over ethernet?
    ATEM TVS
    ATEM Production Studio 4K
    Intensity Pro
    2 x Decklink 4K Extreme
    SDI to HDMI 4K converter
    Ultrastudio Express

Baz

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 11:39 pm

Sam Jones wrote:Hi Baz,

I have been wondering if it is possible to use just a raspberry pi controlling the software over ethernet?

I am looking at that now using the Raspberry Pi: Model B+. ;-)

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Sam Jones

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 7:51 am

Hi Baz,

Thank you, that would be awesome if we could. Do you know if there is a Linux SDK for 5.1 at all? When clicking on the link on the support page, it downloads the windows and mac versions but no Linux :/

Sam
    ATEM TVS
    ATEM Production Studio 4K
    Intensity Pro
    2 x Decklink 4K Extreme
    SDI to HDMI 4K converter
    Ultrastudio Express
Next

Return to Live Production