Uncompressed HD recording

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tony Esposito

Uncompressed HD recording

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm using a Matrox Monarch HD to record my events and also my streamer for the ATEM 1. What's working best for people that want to record in uncompressed HD with this switcher? I'm in Windows so I don't really care for the Hyperdecks but do like the Shuttle idea for video playback. I'd love to have something that records to external hard drives so it's cheaper.

Thanks.

Jonas Bengtson

Re: Uncompressed HD recording

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Using the Hyperdecks, they work for windows too if you format in exFAT

Tony Esposito

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 pm

What's your cheapest SSD drives you found? They are so expensive compared to dropping on a 2 TB Passport External Drive. ex FAT is a selection off windows or through Mac Drive then once formatted I'm good for PC use? Have you used your shuttles for video playback or playing of videos? I'm thinking of either playing videos off the shuttle or using Pro Presenter. This last event I just played off the laptop and used the keyboard shortcuts for the media player to make it a little better.

Scott Ryan

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 7:40 am

There's been a lot of sales lately on the Samsung SSD EVO drives. Haven't used them personally though. Suppose to be pretty decent. The Samsung 840 Pro is the next step up which will run you about ~$200 for 256 GB. It's a bit faster than the EVO.

The EVO 250 GB was on sale week or so ago for $120. The 500 GB was $260. 1 TB is in the $500 range. Check SlickDeals.net. For uncompressed HD though, a SSD is the way to go.

Are you trying to do replays off the Hyperdeck or just use it as media player? If you are using it as media player I would use ProPresenter. That's what we use and it's perfect for playing commercials and any type of media.

Tony Esposito

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks Scotty, is there anything you've seen for recording to an external drive yet? Like this last show the promoter wants a copy of everything and with an external using 3.0 I can record to it and hand it over at the end of the night. If not I'd have to take it home to dump over since the files would be so large. Do you use the shuttle or one of their decks?

I'm leaning towards Pro Presenter also because yes it's for video playback but if I go SSD drives for recording I could also use the hyper deck for video playback like an instant replay.

I noticed a lot of pixel looks in the night shows with a lot of lights going on so I think it's the uncompressed recording. I really don't see it in the DVD's I burned at the same time.

Scott Ryan

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 5:25 am

Tony V wrote:Thanks Scotty, is there anything you've seen for recording to an external drive yet? Like this last show the promoter wants a copy of everything and with an external using 3.0 I can record to it and hand it over at the end of the night. If not I'd have to take it home to dump over since the files would be so large. Do you use the shuttle or one of their decks?

I'm leaning towards Pro Presenter also because yes it's for video playback but if I go SSD drives for recording I could also use the hyper deck for video playback like an instant replay.

I noticed a lot of pixel looks in the night shows with a lot of lights going on so I think it's the uncompressed recording. I really don't see it in the DVD's I burned at the same time.

Haven't heard of anything that records directly to a USB 3.0 device. You could try your luck at taking the uncompressed USB 3.0 output of the 1 M/E and see if you can set it to save to an external HDD. Although from what I've read on these forums that might be tricky to get working. It only works with certain USB 3.0 chipsets.

Otherwise most of those field recorders like the Hyperdeck and Atomos are pretty nice. You can set them to record in ProRes. You could get something like a hard drive dock, put the SSD from your recorder on there, connect it to your computer, connect the client's external drive and drag and drop from 1 hard drive to the next. Can't imagine it taking too long.

They way I do it isn't the most ideal solution but it works, but we compress it. We have a Panasonic recorder...the Panasonic AG-HMR10. It has SDI in and records to a SD card. So we feed it an aux with the program. It records in AVCHD which is still fairly large. I pop the SD card in my Macbook Pro, load up iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe, select all the .MTS files from the SD card (~16 GB ~2 hour show), select the option to merge into 1 big file, preset for an HD .MP4. Final file is ~2 GB. Conversion time is actually fairly quick and quality difference is hardly noticeable. AVCHD is a pain in the ass though. I wish we could record in ProRes. Makes it a lot easier for editing.

Tony Esposito

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 2:37 pm

My cameras are the Sony HXR NX5U that record in AVCHD and one of the big selling points with me was the recording to SD cards and how small the files were. The SDI is full res and on this concert the band "30 seconds to Mars" wanted it recorded in full res but I wasn't set up for it so I would probably lean towards the Hyper deck and yes I have those docking stations to dump the footage over so that might be the way to go.

Return to Live Production