ATEM 2 input sync issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

omarti

ATEM 2 input sync issue

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi, We installed an ATEM 2 mixer and we have difficults to get sync in the inputs.WE have different sources like Sony EX3 cameras, converters from analogue video, PC, etc. .Sometimes sync sometimes not and we know Atem has all auto sync inputs built in. Some one have some suggestions?.We have 4.1 Version installed.Thanks

filipesilva

Re: ATEM 2 input sync issue

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 6:26 pm

I have the same problem.
I have a computer with a hdspark pro, plugged into table. If I connect more Cameras and one sync generator to synchronise the cameras the pc lose sync.

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 3:41 am

There's no such thing like "auto sync input" on atem mixers.. But if you put something like reference signal generator in chain, that's another story.. And only then atem can sync all devices that are connected to mixer..

omarti

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Yes Ivan it has such thing. Copied from manual: "Unlike other switchers, every video input features an automatic frame re-synchronizer, so you can plug in any device and it always works!" And this is not working well. Regards

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:10 am

Hi,

Just to clarify, the ATEM switchers features an internal frame synchroniser on all inputs.

You could try flashing the firmware to see if that solves your frame sync issue, if not, I reckon you might wish to consider approaching your nearest BMD support team for assistance.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 3:02 am

One thing is frame synchronizer on ATEM mixers and another thing is that your sources are not being in sync. Try your setup but only with sony cameras connected..
Do you have "genlocked" system, or not?

Fred Rodrigues

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 7:12 am

The ATEM should be capable of doing exactly what you want. I regularly have no genlock in the system (I use a variety of cameras most with no genlock capability), I use the 1m/e not the 2m/e though and there may be some difference.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:58 am

Blackmagic Design UK has confirmed this with me to be a hardware issue after a lot of pressure from my side, they first claimed my unit was defect but after the third unit showed the same symptoms we bought they admitted that it is some kind of hardware failure, can't be fixed by software. All our subcontractors has the same problem with their 2M/E's too.

Blackmagic International is also keeping quiet about it, as seen here. If they answer they will probably deny this hardware bug again so i invite all of Blackmagic to visit us in Sweden and experience the error first hand. We have a lot of ATEM mixers and only the 2M/E's are showing the symptom.

I wrote a script that checks which input is active and then switches all inputs (except the active) in the videohub to a Not connected source and then back so the switcher can resync. This happens more with some gear and less with other gear. Sony HSC300R has no problems, Sony BRCZ700 has a lot of problems when running in 59.94 and doing a transition from 0 iris to wide open iris.

Walterllc

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 12:19 pm

The BMD seems unable to solve this problem.

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Walterllc wrote:The BMD seems unable to solve this problem.

Yes. Hardware issue sadly. Seems to be fixed in the new 4K line.

Tobias Dieterich

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Jonas Bengtson wrote:Seems to be fixed in the new 4K line.

So let's hope and wait for a 2 M/E 4k...
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

omarti

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks Jonas for share your experiences. So in this case I will install We tried change type of source and still happened.This is a serious problem. BMD must be something if they are looking for fight against the big brands.Please get in touch to keep talking about this issue.Regards

Joel Cogan

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Ditto here,

2 2m/e units. If my cameras are synced to ref, then there is no prob. If there is a camera or source that is not sync able the unit will lock to the input, but if there is timing drift over time, the picture will unlock. It looks on screen as if the picture is starting to redraw in the middle of the frame. A quick disconnect and re-connect solves the problem (I use a router for this).

Scott Smith

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 1:40 am

Interesting. I have not noticed this on my ATEM 2 M/E. Not yet, anyway. I have seen exactly that on my TriCaster - though it seemed to be specific to certain inputs - and a full system software reinstall fixed it.

As a possible workaround, maybe you could pressure BMD into giving you - or at least discounting you - some UpDownCross mini converters. They have a reference in, so you could use them as an outboard reclocker for inputs with issues. You'd just set it to cross convert to the same resolution with reference.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Walterllc

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 11:21 am

I'm integrator in Brazil. I had been indicating BMD for my clients. Some products such as the ATEM 2 M / E and HyperDeck put me through a lot of shame.

I like the solutions of BMD, but now I count to 10 before indicating BMD again.

raver

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 9:24 pm

videopainter wrote:Ditto here,

2 2m/e units. If my cameras are synced to ref, then there is no prob. If there is a camera or source that is not sync able the unit will lock to the input, but if there is timing drift over time, the picture will unlock. It looks on screen as if the picture is starting to redraw in the middle of the frame. A quick disconnect and re-connect solves the problem (I use a router for this).

Same problem here
but we have no router
is there any other chance to solve the problem?

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 2:46 am

we have this very troubling issue as well. our cameras seem to be fine, but our KiPros and Pana P2 players cause the timing problem EVERY time you go in and out of record/playback. we are dealing with it but it surely isn't pretty.

i am down to one client who hasn't vetoed this switcher for use. it would be really nice for this issue to be fixed by BMD, or maybe a trade in for a unit that works properly. or a refund. even something other than "geez we've never heard of this issue before" when you call for support would be good. at this point I feel like we wasted $10k.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Jonas Bengtson

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 8:22 am

As i said, BlackMagic knows, reads, denies.

Even if everybody of us can confirm this problem.

chadgiddens

PostWed Jan 22, 2014 5:42 pm

I was told by Blackmagic Support that connecting inputs directly to the switcher might solve the problem. So I made sure I came directly from my KiPro or Hyperdeck and went to the ATEM. It didnt fix the problem. All of my inputs are synced to REF. I even tried removing the REF from my inputs and still didn't get a fix.

I have the ATEM 2 and a router. Several BMD conversion cards as well. We have had this problem for over a year now! BMD has not offered any chance of getting this fixed. The ATEM units are flawed in design and it seems that BMD does not intend to fix them or recall them. Since January 2013 I have heard from BMD that they are working on a firmware fix. I'm thinking it's Class Action Lawsuit time.

Scott Smith

PostThu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 am

I've checked this reported issue out on my ATEM 2-M/E switcher (also with a videohub router and hyper decks) and do not have any sync issues at all. Maybe I am just lucky.

I have recently had some issues with hyper decks not being in sync going into a Ross switcher (no automatic frame syncs on its inputs). I had tri-level sync going the the hyper decks, and had problems. I switched to bi-level sync and the issues cleared up.

Maybe this helps you . . . maybe not.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Jan 23, 2014 8:07 am

Yeah some units never desync, but some units desync every time you hit a certain frame pattern.
Again, Blackmagic has confirmed the problem to our supplier but it seems there won't be a fix.

Fernando Orozco

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Man, I'm having exactly this issue with our new atem 2 too, the most weird part is that he input that desync tries to sync again but not completly, I haven't updated the firmware yet, I'll try it today and report if the issue is fixed
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke

Jonas Bengtson

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 9:25 am

Fernando Orozco wrote:Man, I'm having exactly this issue with our new atem 2 too, the most weird part is that he input that desync tries to sync again but not completly, I haven't updated the firmware yet, I'll try it today and report if the issue is fixed

Upgrade won't help, sadly.

JamesParker

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Specifically with the Ki Pros

If you put them on inputs 1,2,5,8, this should solve your problem.

We've done a lot of testing on multiple 2 Me's and have gone through every input with the KiPros.

We can force a desync on every input except 1,2,5,8. Since we've move them to these inputs, we've had no problems.
J.Parker
Creative Director

Fernando Orozco

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Someone here have experience in connecting at least 7 cameras to ATEM 2M/E in a way that the sync issue doesn't happen? I have a project coming in 2 weeks and this problem is giving me a headache. Thank you.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 3:13 pm

i have to frame sync problematic sources before they go into the atem 2me. nothing like dropping $10k worth of processing inline before your $5k switcher. would be nice to use all 16 of my inputs as advertised, instead of just the four that really work...

since I haven't gotten anywhere with BMD support on this, i suggest anyone looking to buy this thing take a long look at other options first. our next switcher will be a ross
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Fernando Orozco

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 2:19 pm

What about downgrading the firmware? I can't believe that BMD doesn't provide a solution.

Sam Jones

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 2:30 pm

I would reccomend the FOR-A range at the moment, i have found them incredibly good and stable, plus the sync is rather good as well.
    ATEM TVS
    ATEM Production Studio 4K
    Intensity Pro
    2 x Decklink 4K Extreme
    SDI to HDMI 4K converter
    Ultrastudio Express

Jonas Bengtson

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Fernando Orozco wrote:What about downgrading the firmware? I can't believe that BMD doesn't provide a solution.

This error has been present since early 2M/E days, got one of mine early 2012 and firmware hasn't helped.

Fernando Orozco

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Jonas Bengtson wrote:
Fernando Orozco wrote:What about downgrading the firmware? I can't believe that BMD doesn't provide a solution.

This error has been present since early 2M/E days, got one of mine early 2012 and firmware hasn't helped.

How did you fixed it? I'm thinking in returning our atem 2M/E and go for a For.A (we have hs300 and works extremely well)

Jonas Bengtson

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 12:39 pm

I can't fix it. That's the problem. It seems to be an hardware issue and Blackmagic is keeping silent about it.

I wrote a script for the videohub that resets (goes to not connected and reconnect) all inputs that isn't active. So if you have input 6 on Program on the ATEM, the videohub resets all inputs except input 6. That way we just push the "panic" button when it goes out of sync.

It's just sad.
Get the FOR-A mixer instead.

Return to Live Production