PIP Effect - VGA

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ray Tragesser

PIP Effect - VGA

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi All,

1) Can I get a picture in picture effect from the ATEM Television Studio? I need to squeeze down one camera in a DVE and repo that to the corner of the screen over top of the main image. What ATEM device gives me that functionality?

2) Need to convert VGA to an HDMI input on the switcher. Are we saying that the Geffen does the best job at this point?

3) What are most people using for recording the MP4 output?

Thanks

Paolo Castellano

Re: PIP Effect - VGA

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi RayT,
to point 1: the Atem TVS doesn't feature any DVEs to squeeze any cameras. ATEM 1 M/E and ATEM 2 M/E feature a DVE with 3D Borders & Drop Shadow ( http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... techspecs/).
Anyway there is a workaround to get a PIP with the ATEM TVS using the DSK (placing your subject in the corner and adding an alpha channel). Another solution may be an external 3D DVE with FILL+KEY outputs (it could provide you 2 or more 3D DVE channels).

Best Regards,

Paolo
www.ivsEdits.com

bbrissos

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Can you explain a little bit more how to pip with the DSK and alpha channel? Is possible to have a powerpoint presentation in the background? Many thanks

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 4:12 pm

With the TVS you cannot re-size any of the inputs - so unless you can re-size your powerpoint so the slides are positioned to one corner some of it will have to be chopped off.

I happen to have a VGA-HDMI scaler that allows me to re-size/re-position the image. That allows me to move the powerpoint off to one side. Then using a simple rectangular mask I have the largest portion showing the powerpoint and the other side (left or right) will show through the video from the camera of the presenter. As you can't scale this you have to manually zoom/re-position that camera so the presenter is showing in the correct place (in my case either on the left or right of the video).

Look for sample Photoshop graphics and the ATEM manual installed with your ATEM control software.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Joao Reinaldo Pedroso

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Thank you Paoloivs and Liam Kennedy!
I needed to do a PIP with another camera and I did it using DSK and Masks, adjusting on the right side of the screen.
How Atem Television Studio don't have "fly" mode enabled I think that's on way to do PIP Effect.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Liam, what scaler are you using? I have yet to find one I like. The Atlona one looked perfect because it can pass VGA through back to the projector, but it doesn't seem to work with ATEM in 1080i/59 mode.
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

joelhufford

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Extron makes the DVS-605. It's nearly as flexible and powerful as Barco's ImagePro without the same hefty price tag. This box does a great job of A/D conversion as well as scaling.

Grass Valley also offers the ADVC-G1 that will convert multiple formats into SDI, however it's fairly specific in what resolutions of VGA it will convert. You can check out the manual to see exactly what is supported.

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 12:58 am

Benjamin Higginbotham wrote:Liam, what scaler are you using? I have yet to find one I like. The Atlona one looked perfect because it can pass VGA through back to the projector, but it doesn't seem to work with ATEM in 1080i/59 mode.

It's the Atlona HD500. This is the one without the VGA pass-thru. I seem to recall someone else over on ATEMUser.com reporting some issues with the one that has VGA pass-thru.

I most always run in 720p mode - although I did some testing in 1080i and my recollection is that everything worked.

I'd be happy to lend you my unit for a little while.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Live Production