Media Express Capture Questions

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Johnsquared2

Media Express Capture Questions

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 2:45 am

OK, I am new to BlackMagic and must admit to not being happy at the moment... I have been fighting issues since the day I bought the ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher. I am currently running software version 3.1.1 since from 3.2 up you cannot connect a computer to above 720p50... but I am venting. I have worked around most of my issues...

the question at hand... I am trying to capture in MediaExpress but only get a black screen in the preview area in anything above NTSC. The computer is a clean build with no other software running on it... not a rocketship but ok..

PC:
i5 3.4ghz
8GB ram
ASUS P8Z68-VLX
nVidia GX210
1TB WD Black HD
Win 7 Professional

updated all the drivers for the MB and Video..

does anything higher require a massive video card?

Thought/Suggestions?

John

Chris.Walsh

Re: Media Express Capture Questions

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 5:10 pm

I assume you are capturing via USB 3 ? If so, there are very USB 3.0 controller cards and mother board combinations that support this feature. Further, you need an SSD or 10K disk to capture.

I resulted to purchasing an H.264 Pro recorder to solve my capture issues.

Hope this helps.

Chad

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 11:34 pm

If you are seeing video in Media Express for NTSC that means your ATEM is set to standard definition. If you change the ATEM's format to 720p60 do you see anything on the ATEM's multiviewer (ie any of your cameras/computers)?

Johnsquared2

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Fought with it over the weekend and emailed back and forth with tech support...

To answer some of the questions posed... Yes, I am using USB 3.0, but Julian (tech support) thought there may be an issue with the chipset on my MB. Going to try another machine with Renesas chipset.

I realize I need faster drives to do full HD capture, but that should not affect the preview screen. My MB supports RAID 0,1,5,10 so I my thought is to go RAID 0 or RAID 5 to increase teh speed.

Julian suggested that I could capture as MJPEG... once I get preview I will mess with capture types.

NTSC is the only level that I get anything in the preview pane. I have found that the ATEM software and the MediaExpress have to be set to the same resolution... or is there something I don't know... (don;t answer that, there is tons I do not know...!)

Thanks for the help!
Peace,
J

Johnsquared2

PostTue Oct 16, 2012 3:44 pm

I found that my capture issue appears to be being caused by my USB3.0 controller. BMD suggests Resenas controllers and my laptop happens to have one. So I tested my laptop lastnight and lo and behold, it works fine even at 1920x1080i59.96!!!

The desktop I was using appears by all the specs to have a far supperior motherboard, but the USB chipset appears to be the key.

Peace,
J

Return to Live Production