Live Production On The Road

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

SamuelNorwood

Live Production On The Road

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 12:44 am

Hey guys,

Thought I'd quickly share a project I just worked on in Hawaii for a bit of a laugh/inspiration/future reference. Hopefully someone finds this of use as before I purchased my gear I was looking for someone that had a portable set up that would be relatively easy to travel with.

I was lucky enough to be sent to Hawaii to stream three live sessions at the famous Pipeline. I'm relatively new to live production so I was kind of going in head first, completely oblivious to any possible problems that could arise.

In two weeks I did five streams, the first three were rough, like, really rough but the final couple weren't too bad and in total the streams received approx. 20,000 views. You can check out the YouTube recording of the last one I did, here:

Basically this image sets the tone...
plan.JPG
plan.JPG (83.75 KiB) Viewed 866 times

In saying that, it ran rather smoothly, considering the way I had it set up... I had one camera shooting tight on the surfing via 50 metre fibre optic to a BMD Camera Converter, one wide shot on a tripod via another Camera Converter, a camera on the commentators via an 80m SDI cable and one last wide camera via an 8 metre HDMI cable. Literally making the most of every cable I had.

It then went something a little like this (Action Camera > SDI Distributor > (BMD Hyperdeck Studio Pro > ATEM 4k Switcher) > BMD Studio Converter > ATEM 4k Switcher > UltraStudio (> HyperDeck Shuttle) > Macbook Air > YouTube. Still with me!?

The one thing that suprised me and I didn't think was going to be completely possible was replays through the HyperDeck Studio. I was running the switching as well as playing replays with no problems.

Now the problems I ran into...

- My initial plan was to run the stream at 720p via a Verizon 4g modem... but the house was a black hole which meant I hit a lot of drop outs.
- The HyperDeck Shuttle battery went flat after an hour and the recording didn't close... the file was corrupt.
- Replays worked perfectly with the Hyperdeck Studio Pro but I didn't have an overlay to show that it was in fact a replay.

One final note on travelling overseas with the equipment, especially to the US.. I travelled with a Media Visa and a ATA Carnet, the carnet was a hassle but completely worth it as I would've been sent home if I didn't get it.

Cheers!
Sam

Jose Saiote

Re: Live Production On The Road

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks for sharing your work!
Great project!
For the replays , try to assign a stinger using a clip or even a static png with a dip transition and you have it!

also I would recommend you to get a rs-422controller for the hyperdeck , you can find a bunch of them at ebay a good prices:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=vt ... n&_sacat=0

also , you could had use the mac that is switching the shots receiving a recording feed using the USB2.0 from the switcher as a backup , now you could have that recording if you had done that, its also nice to use the same control panel interface to monitor that recording, even the leds.

cheers
Jose Saiote
Streamline Media, Extremeline & Grooveline

Return to Live Production