Streaming from ATEM?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

hallt

Streaming from ATEM?

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 7:35 pm

I work for a school district and we do lots of sports productions, using an outdated SD tricaster that feeds to our educational cable channel and Flash Media Server for a live online feed.

I'm looking at ATEM 2 M/E as a video switcher. Does it have a push feature for streaming live that would feed my Flash Media Server? If not what might be some alternatives?

Chad

Re: Streaming from ATEM?

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 8:55 pm

No Blackmagic product is capable of streaming natively. You can use a Blackmagic capture card (such as the thunderbolt or PCI based Mini Monitor) to get the video into a computer, but you will need third party software, like Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder (free), or Wirecast ($$), or depending on what streaming service you use their own software (like Livestream.com or Ustream for example) to push it to the streaming server.

Scott Smith

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 1:30 am

If you'd rather have a stand alone streaming appliance, Teradek makes a few, the Cube, the Brik, and the Vidiu. The Cube and Brik, I believe, are also capable of working like a wireless video connection back to your switcher for, as an example, the sideline camera. You have to buy those in matched pairs, I think, for that type of usage. But they also do RTMP streaming for webcasting as a single unit. (I don't own one, yet, but one is on order - so I can't give you too much detail). I think the Vidiu is just for web streaming, and is similar to the Matrox Monarch (below).

http://www.teradek.com

And Matrox has one called a monarch HD. No screen or local controls to speak of on it, and can sometimes be a bit of a pain in the butt to configure, since you have to remote into it over the ethernet. But it does work.

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/monarch_hd/
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

thomasdorr

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 2:42 am

I've used the Teradek Cubes, they are pretty good. We've piped the output of our ATEM Television Studio to a Cube and streamed to Livestream...

The Teradek Cube/Brik/Vidiu can connect to Flash Media Servers. I went with a Wowza server instead of FMS, but they both do RTMP.

Sam Jones

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 am

If you use live stream for instance, it is possible to get the broadcaster box that they have, HDMI input and rather simple to use tbh. I have used it before and it has always worked fine for me. there has been some latency with broadcasting but it has had the best quality i could find for something like that.
    ATEM TVS
    ATEM Production Studio 4K
    Intensity Pro
    2 x Decklink 4K Extreme
    SDI to HDMI 4K converter
    Ultrastudio Express

Scott Smith

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 1:21 pm

When he said he worked for a school district, and was sending it to "our Flash Media Server", I assume he needs something that isn't media site specific, and can do RTMP/FMS .

I thought we were getting a Teredek Cube, but we bought a Teredek VIDIU. Came in yesterday. Will test it out within a week, and give you my impressions of it.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Bootie Cothran

PostSun Jan 12, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm looking to stream as well, from my ATEM TVS, and want to use Livestream. I like the idea about using the Livestream Broadcaster unit, but I also wonder about their Livestream for Producer's software but need advice on the setup described below...

I'm using an iMac for my switching AND capturing via the ATEM. The upside of using the Producer software is that I already have it and wouldn't need to pay the $495 for the Broadcaster unit. But the potential downside might be that using the Producer software is that it gives my computer 1 more heavy thing to do, in addition to capturing the video from the ATEM.

Do you think using the computer to capture, switch AND stream would tax the resources too much, or would that be okay? Thanks.

Ben Harper

PostSun Jan 12, 2014 5:57 pm

Depends on the spec of the computer, but I'm all for one device one job. The little Livestream unit is very good for what it does and if you're going to be using them more often I'd recommend it. Plus for a smaller or more portable setup you can just strap it to a camera which could come in handy one day.

Bootie Cothran

PostSun Jan 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks Ben. Yeah, the portability of the Broadcaster is nice. I think I'll probably go that route.

Scott Smith

PostSat Jan 18, 2014 5:20 pm

Ssmith3 wrote: . . .we bought a Teredek VIDIU. Came in yesterday. Will test it out within a week, and give you my impressions of it.

Yeah. I like the vidiu. Great unit, easy to work with. Easy to set up. Reliable, and overall a great product. Two thumbs up. It was better than Cats. I would use it again and again.
Scott R Smith

vivahhika

PostWed Feb 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi,
i am R.Santhosh from Coimbatore, India. I am running a wedding event management
company called "Vivahhika", We've decided to purchase black magic cinema camera for our video production. Is it possible to use multiple black magic cinema camera in an event and switch in between them to broadcast for live audience. If possible kindly tell me the procedure.

Thanking you
Santhosh
fb.com/vivahhika

Bruce Marcho

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 2:01 am

I have the ATEM 1ME and in the market to get an appliance to do live streaming when I switch. I get audio sync trouble using my iMac to capture through the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and encode with Flash Media Live Encoder. My guess is that my computer resources aren't enough to maintain sync. I've tried 2 different servers with same results. Over a minute the audio leads video by seconds. I did all the tricks I could the the FMLE.

My question to the appliance users is video / audio sync (Latency). Those who have the Teradek Cube/Brik/Vidiu, does the audio stay in sync streaming HD? (1080p)

I would like recommendations for an appliance with SDI connections instead of only HDMI. Please advise on any input you may have on products that work with ATEM 1ME to stream live.

ATEM_USPro.jpg
UltraStudio Mini Recorder
ATEM_USPro.jpg (752 KiB) Viewed 11114 times
You can depend on the Pro!

Michael Bruce Marcho
One Take Creative, LLC.
www.onetakecreative.com

Chad

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 3:21 am

I have never had audio sync problems using a hardware streaming box. Only when using FMLE, though pausing without disconnecting and then resuming the broadcast usually clears up the sync issue temporarily. It is definitely an FMLE problem.

Bruce Marcho

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 3:40 am

Chad wrote:I have never had audio sync problems using a hardware streaming box. Only when using FMLE...

What do you use for your hardware streambox?

Michael Bruce Marcho
One Take Creative, LLC.
www.onetakecreative.com

Ole Anderson

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 6:06 pm

We plan on using our existing BMD h.264 Pro Recorder (an encoder which has HD-SDI ins and outs) with the output from our soon to be acquired ATEM 1 M/E to continue to stream to Livestream. The Pro Recorder is fully supported by Livestream.
Now you tell me!

Ole Anderson

Bruce Marcho

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Ole Anderson wrote:We plan on using our existing BMD h.264 Pro Recorder (an encoder which has HD-SDI ins and outs) with the output from our soon to be acquired ATEM 1 M/E to continue to stream to Livestream. The Pro Recorder is fully supported by Livestream.

What I understand and according to most posts I've read, the H.264 Pro Recorder will only encode the source signal inputted, not livestream. If there is a way to livestream with this gear, please advise. I'm assuming there is more components missing here. Aside from spending another $800 on an appliance device, I hope I can use the Pro Recorder with my ATEM 1ME and use a computer to livestream with FMLE software. Anyone succeeding with this method? $495 for the Pro Recorder seems to be the less expensive approach if you don't mind dragging along another computer.

This quote taken from the Pro Recorder Manual https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdocuments.blackmagicdesign.com%2FH264ProRecorder%2FH.264_Pro_Recorder_Manual_Apr_2012.pdf&ei=BgK4VLRJyKqCBJaNg4AB&usg=AFQjCNG5SErXmi8tN6gTXLEz-5XxEgpIEw&sig2=q-475CAVRnQwGjmfQGAb7A&bvm=bv.83829542,d.eXY

How does H.264 Pro Recorder know which input connections to use?
H.264 Pro Recorder auto-detects the video input you wish to use, i.e. SDI, HDMI, component, S-Video or
composite analog video. For this reason, only connect one video source to H.264 Pro Recorder so it can
auto-detect which source to use. If you are using analog video, you can also connect analog audio at the
same time as expected. The RS-422 remote connection does not affect video input auto-detection.

My question is if you are using the SDI output from the ATEM 1ME going into the Pro, What output do you get from the Pro Recorder to feed your computer for livestreaming? I do not see a complete workflow of the wiring diagram.

Michael Bruce Marcho
One Take Creative, LLC.
www.onetakecreative.com

Chad

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 9:13 pm

I use a Teradek Cube to stream my events. Though the Teradek VidiU is just as capable but with HDMI input instead of SDI.

@Michael: The H.264 pro recorder can only be used to stream using the Livestream.com Producer app, not FMLE. That is because the Livestream.com app has been purposely re-written to accept a pre-compressed video signal over USB from the H.264 recorder, while FMLE and every other streaming software (including Wirecast) only accepts uncompressed RAW signals.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 11:40 pm

H264 encoder is not very good for low bitrate streaming .. its good for hi bitrate records ..

But with http://www.mxlight.co.uk u can recompress input from H264 encoder to low bitrates with X264 encoder (very good quality) m and U can stream , where u want (not only livestream) ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Ole Anderson

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 pm

[/quote="Michael Bruce Marcho
My question is if you are using the SDI output from the ATEM 1ME going into the Pro, What output do you get from the Pro Recorder to feed your computer for livestreaming? I do not see a complete workflow of the wiring diagram.[/quote]

The output of the Pro Recorder is USB and is recognized by the Livestream Producer software. One major advantage of sending an encoded stream to your computer is that you relieve the workload on your CPU so you don't need a lot of horsepower in your computer.
Now you tell me!

Ole Anderson

Ramy Dooda

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 1:20 am

I had the same positive experience with Vidiu like Scott.
we streamed once to livestream, and the other to youtube.
and i think it has an option for audio delay if you need it.
-Always update its firmware, i know that as BM users we don't need such an advice indeed :)

Also, we tried the other approach of the software "producer" with livestream, it pull well, but still we feel that relying on a separate dedicated piece of hardware is always better specially in live conditions

Christophe Mager

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 7:03 pm

I use it :
digigram AQILIM *FIT/LE
very easy, good quality.

Bjørn Thorup

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 8:39 am

Hi guys

You can stream directly (RTMP) from the H.264 Pro Recorder via this app for mac:
github.com/learninglabdtu/OpenProjects/tree/master/H264%20Recorder

It "steals" the signal from the H.264 Pro Recorder via USB, and route it, to its own recorder which also allows for streaming (+ a MPEG-TS backup recording to avoid corrupts files).

It was developed by the Technical University of Denmark, for a project we did in collaboration with them.

The software can also controlled via telnet commands, so we can start, stop and monitor the state of recording + streaming from our hardware panels.

Regards, Bjørn
Bjørn Thorup / Engineering and Marketing
SKAARHOJ.com

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 12:21 am

Bjorn : nice .. Does this work with ATEM TVS too ?
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Thomas Beck

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 1:18 pm

I have an old atem me/1 and a tvs. I also have an editing system that uses a decklink 4k extreme. I take the output of the atems into the decklink and stream to youtube using their wirecast for youtube(free) software. Works well. I am soon to get a editing laptop and and mini recorder and will try to do the same thing. mxlight is worth a looksee. Ive had some success with it as well.

On a side note, I have been coming to this site for years now since I was researching the atems. I am amazed bmd has not taken the hint and built in a streaming solution on these machines. The atems are not perfect but really are remarkable machines. I love both of my units.

Bruce Marcho

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 am

Michael Bruce Marcho wrote:I have the ATEM 1ME and in the market to get an appliance to do live streaming when I switch.

I wanted to give you guys and update on the live streaming appliance. I picked up the Matrox Monarch. HDMI version. Connected to my ATEM 1ME and it works flawless! It will also record the signal to an SD card. Already tested several hours. I'm going to do our first HD live webinar this Saturday - Monday (Feb 28 - Mar 2)
If anyone would like to view the live stream goto http://www.mikeholt.com/live

Michael Bruce Marcho
One Take Creative, LLC.
www.onetakecreative.com

Bjørn Thorup

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Michael

Congrat's on finding a solution. It's always nice to hear when it works out.

Just a small note, if anybody should be interested. We have just implemented control of the Matrox Monarch HD in our libraries, so stuff like start/stop recording + streaming can be controlled from our controllers.

Regards
SKAARHOJ.com

Bruce Marcho

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Bjørn Thorup wrote:Hi Michael

We have just implemented control of the Matrox Monarch HD in our libraries, so stuff like start/stop recording + streaming can be controlled from our controllers.

Regards

We had a successful recording and live streaming with the Monarch HD. One question for you is, when you say libraries and controllers, what are you referring to? Is this related to the ATEM 1ME (1st generation)?

Michael Bruce Marcho
One Take Creative, LLC.
www.onetakecreative.com

Bjørn Thorup

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 10:42 pm

Hi

I'm referring to the various hardware panels we sell, which are designed to work with all ATEM switchers (no mac/pc needed).

When mentioning libraries it's just basically the software we use to communicate with the ATEM switchers and other peripherals such as SmartView 4K, SmartScope Duo, HyperDeck, Videhub, Panasonic PTZ cameras, Matrox Monarch, soon vMix and some other hardware stuff.

You can learn more at our website
SKAARHOJ.com

Return to Live Production