ATEM Television Studio, Mpeg4, Live Streaming

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

telmnstr

ATEM Television Studio, Mpeg4, Live Streaming

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 5:10 am

Hello everyone!

First, I love my ATEM Television Studio. It's a work of art. Seriously.

Ever since I got it the thing I've wanted to do is use the hardware encoded h264/mpeg4 video that is being written to disk to stream it live. Instead of having a quad or octo core computer sitting next to it doing HDMI in and eating a ton of power to re-do what the ATEM unit is already doing, I've tried to figure out a way to use the compressed HD video written to disk.

The big stumbling block seems to be that the mpeg4 file has the header written at the end of the file, once you click stop recording in the ATEM software control panel.

I'm going to try correcting this by using the ffmbc utility to write out the headers matching that of a video already recorded, then using stdin to pull the data off of the file being written to disk.

Does anyone see an issue with this approach? I'm hoping there isn't a video length stored in the header, as that would mess things up a bit.

I noticed on Windows the Adobe flash encoder saw the ATEM unit, but I'm assuming it was expecting raw video not compressed video.

Liam Kennedy

Re: ATEM Television Studio, Mpeg4, Live Streaming

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 8:05 am

Try MXLight - that streams the H.264 from the TVS directly. http://mxlight.co.uk/
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

telmnstr

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 6:09 am

Wow! Thanks much for the pointer!

Been playing with it this evening. The preview with VLC works fine, but I haven't been able to get the streaming to work with either ustream or justin.tv. It tries for a split second then fails with a 3 errors reached.

Trying to figure out what it does exactly. It calls ffmpeg with some parameters, the main one of interest being the 127.0.0.1 port 1234 part. I'm not sure if the video data via localhost is coming from the BMDStreamingServer.exe or is MXLight providing it. I stuck all the parameters in a batch file and called it from a command prompt but ustream still said off air. VLC didn't seem to connect to udp 127.0.0.1/1234 either, which is a good hint that MXLight is pulling data via USB and pushing it via UDP on loopback.

In the ffmpeg logs left behind:
[udp @ 003feae0] bind failed: No error
udp://127.0.0.1:1234?localaddr=127.0.0. ... &connect=1: Input/output error

The feature to restart the BMDStreamingServer does not work for me. It kills the process fine, but does not relaunch it.

Windows firewall is off.

Given that VLC can connect to preview, ffmpeg should be able to as well.

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 6:23 am

I would recommend contacting the developer directly. He is usually very responsive.

EDIT: the system requires particular versions of VLC etc... so if you had any of the installed prior to MXLight you might want to uninstall all of that before re-installing MXLight.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Frank Broughton

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Interesting thread, please do let us know how you make out with your setup telmnstr. I am looking for such a solution too.

telmnstr

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I did uninstall the VLC version I had and downgraded to 1.1.11.

I *think* VLC is only used for the preview window, but I could be wrong.

It's using ffmpeg to push the streams to the internet.

Will ping the author for advice soon! Can't wait to see this go.

Mike Squires

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 2:24 am

telmnstr wrote:I did uninstall the VLC version I had and downgraded to 1.1.11.

I *think* VLC is only used for the preview window, but I could be wrong.

It's using ffmpeg to push the streams to the internet.

Will ping the author for advice soon! Can't wait to see this go.

The author of MXLight will help you out, I bought it when he first released the software.

Regarding the restart "BMDStreamingServer", you have to click that button, wait a few seconds, close MXLight, and restart MXLight. Always works for me.

Return to Live Production