ATEM1 vs Tele Studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

gizmolover

ATEM1 vs Tele Studio

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 8:25 pm

ok so I'm on a tight budget here and looking to build a poor man's OB van...

I need to live switch up to 8x digital cameras (can be a mix of HDMI + HD-SDI). So I am eyeing at the ATEM1 and Television Studio products. The specs for both say "4x HDMI and 4x SDI inputs" total of 8x inputs, but I need more clarification as to what exactly can be used simultaneously. Can I use all 8 inputs at the same time? or is it not possible to mix them, so I'm stuck with either 4x inputs of the same type only?

jason sach

Re: ATEM1 vs Tele Studio

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 pm

atem has 4 x hdmi and 4 x sdi

tvs has 6 inputs 2xsdi 2xhdmi and 2 that can be either

jason
www.tffmedia.com
www.valleyvision.com.au

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 pm

gizmolover wrote:ok so I'm on a tight budget here and looking to build a poor man's OB van...

I need to live switch up to 8x digital cameras (can be a mix of HDMI + HD-SDI). So I am eyeing at the ATEM1 and Television Studio products. The specs for both say "4x HDMI and 4x SDI inputs" total of 8x inputs, but I need more clarification as to what exactly can be used simultaneously. Can I use all 8 inputs at the same time? or is it not possible to mix them, so I'm stuck with either 4x inputs of the same type only?

The TVS - although it has 8 inputs (4xHDMI and 4xSDI) two of the HDMI/SDI inputs are shared. You have a maximum of 6 active inputs only. E.g. It can be any combination of 2xHDMI and 4xSDI or 4xHDMI and 2xSDI.

The 1ME on the other hand allows for 8 simultaneous input. With the added benefit of input 1 can be Component or HDMI and you also get a downconverted SD-SDI or Composite program output - along with HD-SDI / HDMI and Component outputs too.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

sharyn

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 10:03 pm

It may not be important but the TVS has the Build in H.264 encoder output on the USB connection, and the ATEM1 has the Uncompressed output on the USB3.0
Sharyn

Mike Squires

PostTue Oct 16, 2012 2:57 am

Liam is correct about the TVS, but to be exact:

There are 4 HDMI inputs (1-4) and 4 HD-SDI (3-6) inputs.

Inputs #3 and #4 are shared by HDMI and HD-SDI, and have to be selected as such. So technically, you could have 3 HDMI and 3 HD-SDI if you wanted to, just an example.

gizmolover

PostTue Oct 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks guys, exactly what i needed to know. :)

Return to Live Production