OBS losing sound from Atem Mini Pro for no reason!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

LuMagss

OBS losing sound from Atem Mini Pro for no reason!

PostSun Jul 23, 2023 9:09 am

Morning all,
Is anyone else experiencing their Atem audio being dropped in OBS seemingly for no good reason?
The audio is hitting the Atem fine, the sound meters are bouncing happily, audio into the camera itself sounds great - so thats all fine.
It's definitely something in OBS. The sound will drop without warning - which is not good for a live stream - and I have to go into the properties of the Atem, click another sound input (e.g webcam mic) and then click back to the "Blackmagic Design" and it'll be all "oh there's sound on that? Oh OK let's try that" and it may or may not do it again. There's no pattern to it. Incredibly frustrating!
Any ideas appreciated, thanks in advance.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1690102791429.jpg
FB_IMG_1690102791429.jpg (116.8 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

Jim Simon

Re: OBS losing sound from Atem Mini Pro for no reason!

PostMon Jul 24, 2023 3:48 pm

I've never seen this happen myself.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ManchesterV

PostMon Jul 24, 2023 4:48 pm

OBS on Windows 7, 10 and 11 has done that for years on certain configs with various capture sources.

The most likely explanation is that windows allocates the audio device to a different resource and doesn't allow OBS to keep it.

So, if you open or swap to a browser tab to view/check the stream then OBS can loose audio. The first thing you know about it is viewers on the stream complaining.

OBS shows meters and levels as if nothing is wrong.

It's happened on workstations, desktops, laptops, Decklink cards, Magewell dongles and Camlinks.

Personally I won't use OBS in any critical role. If you must use a software encoder then look at Vmix on windows or eCam on Mac....even Wirecast is better.

Some users/configs don't have issues.

LuMagss

PostMon Jul 24, 2023 6:00 pm

ManchesterV wrote:OBS on Windows 7, 10 and 11 has done that for years on certain configs ...
OBS shows meters and levels as if nothing is wrong. It's happened on workstations, desktops, laptops, Decklink cards, Magewell dongles and Camlinks.

Personally I won't use OBS in any critical role. If you must use a software encoder then look at Vmix on windows or eCam on Mac....even Wirecast is better.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I didnt realise it'd been an issue for so long - yet hasn;t been resolved. And as a former IT guy I find it technically very annoying because it's sporadic (the worst kind of fault), without a regular/expected pattern (grrr) and I want to know why something doesnt work - so I can fix it!

I am giving serious thought to vMix but am fearing the learning curve as I'm so confident and versed in OBS.
Such a shame!

I hope someone will offer an OBS based solution????

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostMon Jul 24, 2023 11:50 pm

Im using OBS "daily" and never get this kind of problems .. ATEM MINI PRO is connected with OBS computer with USB ?
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

LuMagss

PostTue Jul 25, 2023 9:14 am

Roman Pytkin Pekarek wrote:Im using OBS "daily" and never get this kind of problems .. ATEM MINI PRO is connected with OBS computer with USB ?

Hello, yes the Atem connects via USB-C cable. The same one it was shipped with.

codedeltajames

PostTue Jul 25, 2023 9:20 am

How are you connecting your audio? How are you finding out there is no audio?

I'm wondering if this is another phase-cancellation issue, as that would result in no audio for some viewers, while showing you full levels on the Atem and OBS.

LuMagss

PostTue Jul 25, 2023 9:42 am

codedeltajames wrote:How are you connecting your audio? How are you finding out there is no audio?

I'm wondering if this is another phase-cancellation issue, as that would result in no audio for some viewers, while showing you full levels on the Atem and OBS.

Hi, the audio reaches the Atem via HDMI which is provided by XLR cables from the sound desk into one of my cameras.
I know the sound is reaching the camera because headphones confirm this and it sounds great.
I know the Atem is getting it because the sound meters are responding accordingly / in time.
I know OBS gets it from the Atem because I hear it in the PC via headphones.

So it's not that the audio isn't getting streamed, because it is. The issue is that OBS might or might not randomly stop relaying the audio from the Atem. It'll start fine and then maybe 10 minutes, 42 minutes, or it'll be perfect that night, it'll stop receiving audio.
The Atem and camera all the while are still outputting audio. So it's definitely something in OBS that's making it drop out.

LuMagss

PostThu Jul 27, 2023 7:16 am

Cheeky little bump, hope someone can offer some ideas. Cheers!

88jfs68

PostFri Dec 22, 2023 11:40 am

Did anyone find a solution to this issue?

We are seeing similar issues after changing to a new PC.
- Source: ATEM Mini Pro, audio/video from camcorder
- Video capture source: BlackMagic Design device, default settings
- Audio capture source: Microphone(BlackMagic Design), default settings
- Issue: Activity in browser can cause audio to drop. examples: when playing YouTube, when an ad starts, OBS audio drops. When the ad stops, audio may resume. Or, maybe when the ad starts, audio is maintained, but drops when Skip Ad is pressed.

To restore audio, we unplug USB interface and reinsert
(when we do this, we need to deactivate/activate the video as well)

ManchesterV posts:
"The most likely explanation is that windows allocates the audio device to a different resource and doesn't allow OBS to keep it."

This sounds reasonable. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Thank you!

slinnell

PostFri May 10, 2024 10:39 am

Hi!
Why would the streaming from an ATEM mini using and OBS lose sound and then dropped the connection to Facebook or YouTube destination platforms.?

I have found a previous post:
>>
Buffering and Reconnection: In OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), try activating buffering and re-connecting the USB cable just before streaming. Briefly disable the video source in OBS and then re-enable it. This may help reduce latency and improve streaming stability.
>>

Has anyone else seen a simliar issue and resolved?
Thanks.

Return to Live Production