BlackMagic Micro Studio 1st gen remote control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

LuMagss

BlackMagic Micro Studio 1st gen remote control

PostFri Mar 15, 2024 10:27 pm

Hi All,

My client got hold of a Blackmagic Micro Studio , not the brand new G2, the original one. Does anyone know if it can be remotely controlled via the Atem please?
I'm not sure it can be but I'm hoping a firmware will enable this. I'm seeing some reports that its by SDI only which would be a real shame given its ideal as a top-down camera so is rigged to an overhead beam and we're purely HDMI in the studio with 6x other BMStudio 4K cameras.

2024-03-15 22.14.16.jpg
2024-03-15 22.14.16.jpg (67.73 KiB) Viewed 1715 times

Cheers in advance,
Luke

Howard Roll

Re: BlackMagic Micro Studio 1st gen remote control

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 12:34 am

Natively, control comes via it’s SDI or expansion port on the G1. You can use a bi-directional coverter to extract camera control from the HDMI.

Good Luck

LuMagss

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 8:05 am

Hello,
What bi-directional converter would you suggest/recommend please?

Howard Roll wrote:Natively, control comes via it’s SDI or expansion port on the G1. You can use a bi-directional coverter to extract camera control from the HDMI.

Good Luck

Howard Roll

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 8:56 am

I think you can get away with the 3G bi-directional converter for HD, if not then probably the 12G.

Good Luck

LuMagss

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 10:59 am

Howard Roll wrote:I think you can get away with the 3G bi-directional converter for HD, if not then probably the 12G.

Good Luck

Ok super, thank you for this and good to know such tech exists for me to retrofit. Such a shame its not HDMI controlled like its newer counterparts but then maybe such hardware didnt exist at the time?

Have a great weekend

RRRoger

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 2:44 am

LuMagss wrote:Hi All,
I got hold of a Blackmagic Micro Studio , not the brand new G2, the original one. Does anyone know if it can be remotely controlled via the Atem please?
I'm not sure it can be but I'm hoping a firmware will enable this. I'm seeing some reports that its by SDI only which would be a real shame given its ideal as a top-down camera so is rigged to an overhead beam and we're purely HDMI in the studio with 6x other BMStudio 4K cameras.

2024-03-15 22.14.16.jpg

Cheers in advance,
Luke

I just got a used micro studio camera with broken SDI out which did not bother me because my ATEMs are HDMI. I did not know the Software Control would not work until today. Also the ISO boost only goes to 18 which is not enough for my indoor work.
Should I sell it and buy a G2 or are there a work arounds?

Howard Roll

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:24 am

The G2 is better in every aspect save rolling shutter integration time. That said, if 18db of gain (ISO 3200) isn’t enough then the G2 isn’t going to be a huge improvement. Maybe look at adding a bit of light or using faster glass. At ISO 3200 It only takes ~4 footcandles to get proper exposure at f2.8.

Good Luck

RRRoger

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:55 pm

Howard Roll wrote:The G2 is better in every aspect save rolling shutter integration time. That said, if 18db of gain (ISO 3200) isn’t enough then the G2 isn’t going to be a huge improvement. Maybe look at adding a bit of light or using faster glass. At ISO 3200 It only takes ~4 footcandles to get proper exposure at f2.8.

Good Luck

I picked up two old Fujinon f1.4 lens but have not found an adapter to MFT

Howard Roll

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 1:25 pm

Yeah, I don’t think that’s going to work out.

For native m43 Olympus makes a realtively fast 12-40mm f2.8, fast primes are always an option as well.

Speedboosters have never been my jam but they do work for some.

If you want a fast zoom for the G1 and you’re looking at B4 Zooms then the Zeiss 11-110mm is the guy. Indoors? Maybe not, the close focus is 5’.

Good Luck

RRRoger

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 1:36 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Natively, control comes via it’s SDI or expansion port on the G1. You can use a bi-directional converter to extract camera control from the HDMI.

Good Luck

but,
Wouldn't that require an ATEM ISO with SDI ports?

I bought a second Pocket 4k (25,600 ISO to replace the micro Studio Camera and have it on Craig's list.
Could not find anyone to replace the SDI post at a reasonable price.

Howard Roll

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 2:45 pm

RRRoger wrote:but,

No, that’s the point of the thread. In your case it would be a cluster because the micro could only be hacked in using 2 inputs on account of the bad SDI out, which isn’t necessary for camera control.

Good Luck

RRRoger

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 1:33 pm

Howard Roll wrote:

No, that’s the point of the thread. In your case it would be a cluster because the micro could only be hacked in using 2 inputs on account of the bad SDI out, which isn’t necessary for camera control.

Good Luck

How do I connect the Expansion Cable or HDMI converter to my ATEM which has no SDI or little plugs like the Expansion cable?

codedeltajames

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 1:44 pm

RRRoger wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:

Good Luck

How do I connect the Expansion Cable or HDMI converter to my ATEM which has no SDI or little plugs like the Expansion cable?

If you had a Gen 1 Micro Studio Camera, and an ATEM Mini with only HDMI connectors and you were wanting to control the camera over SDI, you would connect the HDMI from the Atem to a Bi-Directional Micro-converter's HDMI output, then both the SDI in and out from the converter to the camera.

RRRoger

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 1:49 pm

Howard Roll wrote:I think you can get away with the 3G bi-directional converter for HD, if not then probably the 12G.

Good Luck

At $175 it would require two 12G converters or an ATEM with SDI that would be uncompatable with my HDMI cameras.
This is more than my used G1 micro Studio camera is worth just to get camera control.

I need to sell it and get another 4k Cinema Camera which also has 25,600 ISO for the low light environment I often work in.

Howard Roll

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 2:23 pm

Probably a good call, the color science is pretty different between the two anyways. FYI, working with an Atem Mini you’d only need a single 3G bi-directional converter.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production