How can I power a BM Studio Camera 4K Plus G2 through PoE

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brainz3579

How can I power a BM Studio Camera 4K Plus G2 through PoE

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 4:56 pm

Hi, I'm new to Blackmagic gear, so may have a question that is obvious! Here goes.
I'm looking to buy 3 x Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus G2. I would ideally like to power them from Ethernet cable. I have however read that I can't do this from a PoE switch and that it would have to be through a BM studio convertor. Is this right, or is there another way to power them from Ethernet?

Or probably the best way of asking it, what is the best way to power these cams through PoE?

Thanks for your help

M

Blair Christensen

Re: How can I power a BM Studio Camera 4K Plus G2 through Po

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 8:11 am

What is your reason for wanting to power through the ethernet port?

Blair Christensen

PostWed May 22, 2024 8:16 am

rak500

PostWed May 22, 2024 9:23 am

Hi there,

There's no Ethernet port on the Studio Camera 4K Plus, thus no simple way to power the camera via PoE.

You could try and find a PoE to 12V adapter, but I'm not sur it would be easier than just running a power cable extension and powering it just like that. You'd still have to get the video feeds to and from the camera.

Going up the range with the Studio Camera 4K Pro G2 gives you the ability to power the camera and get all the video feeds to and from the camera with a single Cat6a cable using the Studio Converter:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... s/W-CST-09

This gives up to 50m Ethernet to both power and connect the camera seamlessly.

Davidsk

PostThu May 23, 2024 9:54 am

To power the Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus G2 through PoE, the best approach would be to use the Blackmagic Studio Converter. This device is specifically designed to provide power and connectivity for multiple cameras over Ethernet, ensuring reliable performance and compatibility.

lwheeler

PostThu May 23, 2024 10:58 pm

Studio Converter is definitely the best way to do this. I have 3x of these cameras with a Studio Converter for each, and it handles power, video, return 1/2 (which I use for teleprompter and talent monitor) all over a single cable.

Just a heads up though, the ethernet Control port on the Studio Converter is currently not only non-functional but will actively freeze your camera signal on a reboot of the converter. DO NOT CONNECT IT.

I hope they fix this soon and implemented the Ethernet control soon!

Return to Live Production