Studio 6kPro Tally Problem

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pasamike

Studio 6kPro Tally Problem

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 5:38 pm

I have an ATEM 2 M/E production studio 4k switcher that I am trying to connect to multiple BMD Studio 6kPros. I have video signal from each camera to the switcher (via the converters). However, my tallys do not work. I was told I needed to use a GPI tally interface to get tally on the camera to work.

The GPI interface has a 25pin output, the studio converters have 9pin connection marked as tally / audio in.

Do i simply need a breakout cable from the 25pin on the GPI interface to the multiple 9 pin connections? Where can i get the cable?

Whats the best way to getting the tallys up and running?

Blair Christensen

Re: Studio 6kPro Tally Problem

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 3:39 am

You do not need the GPI tally interface.

The cameras receive tally signal via the return video signal. So you need to connect an output of your ATEM into the return SDI on the studio converters. You also need to assign the correct camera ID number in each camera (corresponding to the input it is plugged into on the ATEM)

pasamike

Re: Studio 6kPro Tally Problem

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 12:22 pm

Thanks for the reply! I actually figured this out about the time you posted. I had contacted BMD support to ask the question and the tech insisted there was no way to do it with my ATEM switcher! Haha.

It works beautifully.

For anyone else who is trying to figure this out for multiple cameras:
I came out of an AUX out into a video hub (to distribute the signal) to multiple returns on the BMD Studio converters. Like mentioned, make sure your camera IDs match the physical camera input # into the switcher.

Also as a bonus, I reused my old GPI interface to send a tally light to my graphics operator, so they also know when their output is live as well!

Return to Live Production